Heat isolation and retention. WRAP THAT RASCAL!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
A truly easy, user friendly and serviceable heat isolation wrap for your turbo, downpipe, up pipe and possibly more.
The materials are as follows:

Silicone impregnated fiberglass cloth outer wrap. Skin temp good to 550* and the woven fabric is good to 1000*. Continuous. This outer covering is water proof and resists most chemicals/liquids found around your car. This prevents the wrap from becoming a wick full of oil, should something happen, and turnyour beloved scoob into a roman candle.
Stitching by a PTFE coated fiberglass thread good for 1000*. Continuous
INsulating material of ceramic fiber good to 2200* continuous and absolute at about 3000*.
Inner liner is of a vermiculite coated fiberglass cloth good for 1800* continuous or a silica based cloth good for about the same.
Stainless steel c-rings for binding. (maybe in place of thread
Stainless steel or zinc coated brass snap fasteners for easy installation and removal

The catch is that these wraps can be taken on and off hundreds of times for anytime you need to work on the car in that area. NO ONE ELSE DOES THIS without that damn wire and lacing anchors. These have no place in an automotive environment.

All material used is not combustable, meaning it will not support a flame. If failure should happen, it will simply melt or char.

Beta testing is being done now on my own vehicle and I can report that it, so far, has been successful.
I am also testing the other guys stuff ;)

Let me know what your guys thoughts are? Concerns, criticisms, praise whatever you have, throw it at me.

photo-22.jpg

nice, similar to a turbo blanket. is it expensive? i wrapped my turbo with a turbo blanket along with ceramic coat but put ceramic coat on everything else.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh wow this is awesome!!! On what piece are you testing it right now?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Interesting.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It is a turbo blanket, well actually that one is a downpipe wrap. but yes.
Ceramic coat is good but doesn't prevent as much heat radiation as a wrap. Combine the two and your even further ahead.

Not expensive at all. What's absurd is what the companies out there charge for them and then skimp on some things. The automotive market gets a hold of this industrial material and then promotes it as exotic. I have seen cost increases of 500% or more.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It is a turbo blanket, well actually that one is a downpipe wrap. but yes.
Ceramic coat is good but doesn't prevent as much heat radiation as a wrap. Combine the two and your even further ahead.

Not expensive at all. What's absurd is what the companies out there charge for them and then skimp on some things. The automotive market gets a hold of this industrial material and then promotes it as exotic. I have seen cost increases of 500% or more.

Wow!.... A downpipe and a turbo wrap would be ideal in my case since i dont have anything. Cobb turbo heat shield doesnt count when compared to these!

How long did that specific one take you to fab up?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Wow!.... A downpipe and a turbo wrap would be ideal in my case since i dont have anything. Cobb turbo heat shield doesnt count when compared to these!

How long did that specific one take you to fab up?

Heat shields act as a heat sink and radiator as well. Not so good alone IMO.

Took about an hour. Not pretty but it's a beta test for material durability.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Heat shields act as a heat sink and radiator as well. Not so good alone IMO.

Took about an hour. Not pretty but it's a beta test for material durability.

Pretty?! Who cares what it looks like! Im a function over form kind of guy!! :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So you just button it up? Also how long to install?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Pretty?! Who cares what it looks like! Im a function over form kind of guy!! :lol:

That's good to here. The final will be much fancier as far as just clean overall stitches etc.
A lot of guys really want looks so it has to be appealing to the eye.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That's good to here. The final will be much fancier as far as just clean overall stitches etc.
A lot of guys really want looks so it has to be appealing to the eye.

Ill gladly purchase a beta then! :)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So you just button it up? Also how long to install?

That's it! Button it up like a coat.

1 minute once you get to the downpipe or a few more if going to the turbo.
I remove the TMIC for the turbo as it's just easier to get on. The DP is pretty easy without removal of IC. Or going from under car is also easy too for the DP.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Ill gladly purchase a beta then! :)

Well. I don't think I could charge for a beta. But I will need some test mules. Different downpipes, turbos and the like are whats gonna be a major obstacle for me. I need to figure the best way to fit them all without having to have 11ty billion different types laying around. Obviously, different sized turbos are going to need a few different wraps but still trying to keep them somewhat universal.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well. I don't think I could charge for a beta. But I will need some test mules. Different downpipes, turbos and the like are whats gonna be a major obstacle for me. I need to figure the best way to fit them all without having to have 11ty billion different types laying around. Obviously, different sized turbos are going to need a few different wraps but still trying to keep them somewhat universal.

What about one that fits all. With adjustment. Is that possible??

-maybe make it a little girthier with 3 sets of caps in rows (the locking mechanism. Idk name)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
What about one that fits all. With adjustment. Is that possible??

-maybe make it a little girthier with 3 sets of caps in rows (the locking mechanism. Idk name)

It is possible but may take some serious thought and design. I don't know how cost effective that would be because of the addition of materials.
I have some ideas but really need my hands on some old unwanted turbos and down pipes, etc that are commonly used.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It is possible but may take some serious thought and design. I don't know how cost effective that would be because of the addition of materials.
I have some ideas but really need my hands on some old unwanted turbos and down pipes, etc that are commonly used.

Hmmm ok. Thatll be an ongoing thought process for now then. Do you have a pic of the wrap installed?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Actually no. I was planning on holding this bird in the cage for awhile but something got the better of me.
I will get some, however. This weekend when I get a moment.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Actually no. I was planning on holding this bird in the cage for awhile but something got the better of me.
I will get some, however. This weekend when I get a moment.

Awesome. Thanks for early surprise and cant wait to see pics! :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks man. I appreciate the enthusiasm!
I'll keep updates on progress or thoughts.
I also really want feedback on this. Pros and cons.

I cant help with cons but i can help with pros!

Just showing what tou have so far is enough!!! (For my tastes anyways!)