Heat isolation and retention. WRAP THAT RASCAL!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So want. ;)

Please keep us informed.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
well a con on the up-pipe, is that it's pretty tight in there IIRC. I could see abrasion being an issue due to engine vibrations. Also, whats to keep the up/down-pipe sections from staying up? Would they attach the the turbo part to suspend them?

If you need beta testers, just let me know ;)

I installed some turbo insulation (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TR9HQA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It was cheap, but i hear it gets pretty brittle after heat-cycling and would likely need to be replaced instead of reused.

Heat isolation is a pet project of mine. I also have a bunch of thermally reflective tape to use instead of that DEI crap (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HKRFB2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

well a con on the up-pipe, is that it's pretty tight in there IIRC. I could see abrasion being an issue due to engine vibrations. Also, whats to keep the up/down-pipe sections from staying up? Would they attach the the turbo part to suspend them?

I installed some turbo insulation (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TR9HQA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It was cheap, but i hear it gets pretty brittle after heat-cycling and would likely need to be replaced instead of reused.

Heat isolation is a pet project of mine. I also have a bunch of thermally reflective tape to use instead of that DEI crap (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HKRFB2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Its somewhat tight with the heat shield. If you take that off, plenty of room. you could probably get away with wrapping a 2" uppipe as well

Spamby

Meat Product Toy

The material is fairly resistant to abrasions. I don't think it would be an issue but testing for some time should show any issues.
The idea to keep them staying in place is a tight enough fit. However, if I see falling being an issue I do have plans for adjustable straps to help keep them in place.
Beta testers are much appreciated and I'll call on some of you guys when the time comes.
Any material will "change" once heat cycled enough. Becoming crusty or brittle is a common occurrence but will not affect the performance of the material. Selecting the right materials, i.e. Proper heat ranges, should help in this department.
Reflective tape is a good idea. Home Depot markets them as dryer vent tape and is usually pretty cheap. Again, common everyday products once marketed for auto enthusiasts seem to be priced rather extreme.
Polishing the bare aluminum TMIC with mothers metal Polish will give it a high luster and reflective surface thus eliminating the need for adding shiny tape and keeping an attractive appearance.
Heat isolation is a very overlooked subject that has real world results. Unfortunately it usually takes a back seat to noise makers and bling.
I applaud all those that take on the task of keeping things cool.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Are you serious?! Im going to home depot after work tomorrow and checking that shit out. I bought a small ass roll of gold dei heat tape for $45 last summer... Granted it was barely enough to wrap my tmic but it was $45... I will announce prices and colors tomorrow!

Also in for beta testing either downpipe or turbo!!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Its somewhat tight with the heat shield. If you take that off, plenty of room. you could probably get away with wrapping a 2" uppipe as well

I couldn't get anything to work well with the factory turbo/DP heat shield. Aftermarket ones definitely have more room to wrap underneath. However, with a good wrap a heat shield is really not needed.
An idea is to wrap over the existing shields on the uppipe and manifolds. This could prove effective and actually lower the contact skin temperature and thus the need for higher temp spec materials.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think he meant the up-pipe heat shielding. I think i remember there being a lot of annoying heat shielding in there, but its been like 2 years since i messed with that.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Are you serious?! Im going to home depot after work tomorrow and checking that shit out. I bought a small ass roll of gold dei heat tape for $45 last summer... Granted it was barely enough to wrap my tmic but it was $45... I will announce prices and colors tomorrow!

Also in for beta testing either downpipe or turbo!!

Go for it though I think I recall only silver offered by them.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I think he meant the up-pipe heat shielding. I think i remember there being a lot of annoying heat shielding in there, but its been like 2 years since i messed with that.

I see. Yes it's funky up there around the up pipe.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Any updates on this? :tup: I'd like to purchase one of your alpha/beta/proto heat wrappers! :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What isnt fitting correctly?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Run/weave a steel wire down the length, or two (top/bottom), for slouching issues?

Well, I'm not running stainless mesh for the pipe side outer layer as others do. This contributes to the slouch. I'm using a high temp cloth on that side. I could add a layer of mesh to it to add stiffness.
Next issue is the wrap trying to wiggle its way down the pipe. I could insert a tensioner or use hose clamps but when you compress insulation it starts to lose its insulating ability. This will bring the skin temps up and possibly cause failure of the outer layer. The outer layer is a silicone impregnated fiberglass cloth. The fiberglass is good to 1k* but the silicone will go at around 550.
I've got it clamped down now and no issues yet so we'll see.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn pics pics pics diagrams and all of the goodies! :lol:

577STILimited

This sounds promising to me. I have looked at this problem several time but yet to address it. I, sorry my car would love to be a test mule for you. JLMK if needed. I like the button closure of this instead of the strap closure like on some of the other brand products out there.