HELP! 2012 Subaru STI hatch with dentist drill sound as turbo spools up

tjaschke

As the title describes....

I have a 2012 STI with 74,xxx miles on it. While getting my spark plugs replaced at my tuner shop everything seemed great, and then when I left the shop as the turbo spools up it sounds like a dentist drill or a cat screeching. They did not take the intercooler off or install anything related to the turbo. So this sound seems really abnormal. I took it right back to the shop and they did a boost leak test and nothing bad was found.

Any suggestions?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Can you get us a video?

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Long shot but is it coming from the alternator, I once grounded out the + terminal on my moms s10 and made same noise. However, as [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] said, video of issue would be great. Also if you could give some more information, like does it happen at idle, or only when building boot etc, would be helpful as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
As the title describes....

I have a 2012 STI with 74,xxx miles on it. While getting my spark plugs replaced at my tuner shop everything seemed great, and then when I left the shop as the turbo spools up it sounds like a dentist drill or a cat screeching. They did not take the intercooler off or install anything related to the turbo. So this sound seems really abnormal. I took it right back to the shop and they did a boost leak test and nothing bad was found.

Any suggestions?

I am hoping they didn't drop something in the cylinder during spark plug installation and it worked it's way to the turbine.

Hmm this was also on one of the fb pages I have liked it sounded pretty crazy like a supercharger whine.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Or maybe it's a different type person who knows.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)