HELP! Grinding gears....WTF?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Over the last week or so, I've had an issue with grinding, going into 4th and 5th gear.
5th seems to be just about all the time, but 4th seems to be only at high rpms while
up shifting AND most always when downshifting. This is kind of scaring me because
I'm sure we all have an idea of how expensive tranny work can be. I don't really beat
on the car, so I'm not sure why I'm having this issue.

This was beginning to happen BEFORE the driveshaft and tranny fluid swap, so I don't
think that work has anything to do with it.

I feel like there is a lot of play in the shifter, even when in gear. I wonder if my bushings
are shot. I do have a Kartboy shifter bushing kit (somewhere) in my box of parts at
home. I wonder if completing that swap might remedy the problem.

Any other ideas from you guys?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
4th and 5th gear synchros are probably going out. This may be why your getting the grinding.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Why would that be? I've got 55k miles on it and I don't beat it up bad. How expensive of a job is it to
replace those? I do some stuff myself, but I'm not confident enough, or have the tools required for that
job.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Check your fluid level just to make sure its topped off.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Has this just started in both 4 and 5th gear at the same time?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Why would that be? I've got 55k miles on it and I don't beat it up bad. How expensive of a job is it to
replace those? I do some stuff myself, but I'm not confident enough, or have the tools required for that
job.

Dunno. Could be a weak link or the way you drive. Your power level is also higher than stock which doesn't help.
Wasn't there an issue with some of the older trannies doing this ??
I imagine the job won't be cheap. It requires removal of and disassembly of the transmission. The parts shouldn't be expensive.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Has this just started in both 4 and 5th gear at the same time?

It started in 5th gear only and has recently progressed to 4th gear as well.

I drive spirited, but I would have a tough time believing that my driving style caused this issue. I try not to beat up the car considering that its my DD.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I used to get grinds from 4th with the old tranny fluid that i used. It would go away after a fluid change but it would come back after 20k miles. So when i swapped to motul it stopped completely. Now i use amsoil and havent had anything happen ever since. Before you replace anything i would say change fluids. Either different brand or just do a fluid change. You never know. And youre only 55k miles. That makes no sense.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I used to get grinds from 4th with the old tranny fluid that i used. It would go away after a fluid change but it would come back after 20k miles. So when i swapped to motul it stopped completely. Now i use amsoil and havent had anything happen ever since. Before you replace anything i would say change fluids. Either different brand or just do a fluid change. You never know. And youre only 55k miles. That makes no sense.

I was wondering if the Amsoil I recently put in, isn't quite the right kind.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGQT-EA
Is this what you use? ^ It's a "GL4" oil and not a GL5 like Subaru recommends, though it outperforms all GL4 oils.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/
I was thinking maybe I screwed up, and should have put in this ^.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You said you had the grinding before this? I don't believe your fluid is going to matter now .

Grimmspeed Tranny Cocktail :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ That's ridiculous @ 55,000 miles. 150,000 miles would be more understandable.

As far as directions you use this method: When filling up your transmission you will use ALL of Penzoil, Lightweight Shockproof, and 1 full bottle of the Castrol Hypoy C, then you use approx. 1/3 to 1/2 of the remaining Hypoy C until the transmission is full.

I guess its the certain mixture of those gear oils together, it really solved all my grinding issues :tup:, but like Spamby said, if its been doing it for a WHILE your synchros might be shot.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Maybe you should try the other Amsoil fluid, but to be honest I don't know if it would make a difference. Worth a shot.