HELP! Grinding gears....WTF?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
First high speed highway trip since Sunday in just a moment. I'll update later.

UPDATE: Yeah, I feel that the synchros must be going out. I don't believe the
linkage or bushings are the problem.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'll write that down as well, have you had grinding problems?

It seems that I am still grinding, but only at higher speeds when I shift down in 4th and also a bit when upshifting to 5th.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Look at NEO Synthetics. Lesser known but I have been looking at them pretty hard lately. Seem to be group 5 only in motor oils so they definitely put quality in.
Ardeca was recently discovered by myself and am going to look at them. Group 5 oils. Belgium made and new to
me.
SWEPCO has been around and some of the more exotic car owners tend to like them. Some raves about their lube.

I have heard gear oils with high levels of friction modifiers (redline) may not be good for the older trannies cause of the pumps. Dunno much about that cause I just read a few blurbs recently. May be worth researching on your end.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Has anyone had transmission work like this done in the past? How much $$$ am I looking at for this job? One knowledgeable friend
said a shop could do it for under $1,000. Does this seem reasonable?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Has anyone had transmission work like this done in the past? How much $$$ am I looking at for this job? One knowledgeable friendsaid a shop could do it for under $1,000. Does this seem reasonable?
I would say this sounds reasonable. This job is mostly going to be labor. The parts should be cheap enough. Make sure while your in there you do the whole thing, not just the offending parts. Update to the newer synchros, don't get the old brass ones.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ Besides replacing all the synchros, can you think of anything else that I should have replaced, or at very least inspected, while
the transmission is opened up?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Once it's opened up the seals and bearings will need to be replaced, obviously. Otherwise just an overall inspection of the gears, etc.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Oh and the synchros I believe you should get would be from an 06+ transmission. I believe that's the years they did something different.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ That is correct. Though I was hoping I could find Gruppe-S synchros or something...

I posted a thread asking for them in the REQUEST A PRICE QUOTE section of the forum.

Go to rallispec.com and they have all the options for our tranny. I have motul fluid and i grind 5th gear. Ive heard going to conventional tranny fluid helps, tho i havent tried it myself. Just accept it and save up to pay $$$$ to fix. 2006 subaru increased the carbon content in the synchros and changed gear ratios to fix the problem.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Maybe I'm not seeing the parts on that site that you are, but I'm seeing a $6,100 price. That's on the INSANE side of things. I can't
be spending that kind of money right now. Most people have been saying parts should be about $50-250.

$6k and up is for the race spec gearsets. If you read in the descriptions of the sets, itll tell you $57 for the 4/5/6 carbon baulk rings.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I was under the impression that I need more than just those rings. I'm not transmission savvy at all, and I'm still trying to figure this all out.

Me either. I freaked out and put up posts about tranny problems when i first started grinding. Called them up and they explained how it works. Its been a while since then but i believe baulk ring is just the fancy term for synchro. Another guess would be bearings/seals....idk, depends what your future goals are. I know im going with their high speed 2-6 gearset and billet selector fork set.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I saw the fork set. Seems like a great idea. Idk about $1400 great though. :lol:
I see what you're saying now. I will probably call them anyway and explain what I'm
looking for. I appreciate the direction :tup:

STimedic

I had Dave @ RalliSpec rebuild my tranny back in Sep of last year, been great so far. Had to replace the reverse idler, gear and hub. Figured while he had it apart, might as well do the carbon baulk rings and new synchros. He only replaced what needed to be replaced and only charged me for what he replaced, which was two of the shift forks due to the plastic tabs being close to gone, a full synchro set, the reverse gear parts, 3-4 gears and hub and the 4-6 baulk rings. Shifts like butter now.