HELP! Grinding gears....WTF?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I had Dave @ RalliSpec rebuild my tranny back in Sep of last year, been great so far. Had to replace the reverse idler, gear and hub. Figured while he had it apart, might as well do the carbon baulk rings and new synchros. He only replaced what needed to be replaced and only charged me for what he replaced, which was two of the shift forks due to the plastic tabs being close to gone, a full synchro set, the reverse gear parts, 3-4 gears and hub and the 4-6 baulk rings. Shifts like butter now.

Can you recall what the prices were for parts, and also for labor? I'm expecting to do something like this soon.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I talked to Rallispec just a few minutes ago on the phone. Explained my issues to them and also that
I'm not very transmission savvy. The person I talked to took down my email address and is going to send
me some information today with itemized parts and prices. Great customer service already, I must say.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I still haven't heard back from Rallispec. I also contacted 5 transmission shops in the area. It's been pretty
disappointing so far. One shop quoted $800-1,000 in labor and did NOT sound confident in doing the job. Another
shop that supposedly specializes in transmission repair says "What is this again...a Subaru? Nah, I don't work on
exotics."
The last shop I talked to today quoted "$1,000 in labor and maybe a bit more if we run into problems." I hope I
can find a shop that is a little cheaper than that, BUT this ^ shop did seem to be the most competent by far.

Thoughts?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Given the going rate of labor and the few hundred in parts. I don't think that sounds unreasonable.
Just make sure they know what they're doing.
In the end, trust your gut feeling.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Those prices are labor alone. I stated that I would provide the parts. Just for shits and giggles, I called a local Subaru stealership.
They gave me a ballpack figure, on labor alone, at $2,200. They might be insane.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Dealers are usually insane on prices.
I still wouldn't say that was bad. You gotta understand they are taking the tranny out and tearing it apart and then doing all of the reverse.
If the guy sounded confident then go with him or try some other places around. (If you have any? )

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There are not a whole lot of great options. I may find some better ones, but if so they may be much further away.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Good thing is that you have time. Not like your pushing the car everywhere. Lol.

This is true. As long as I'm not on the highway, or hauling ass through town for some reason :nos:
I don't grind......yet.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The more I read, the more I see other people talking about grinding issues, and completely eliminating them with a different choice of fluids.
Everyone has a "special formula" and I think I would use the Grimmspeed Tranny Cocktail (as we talked about before) but I just wonder if I'd
just be delaying the inevitable. Your thoughts? Thanks guys.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It sounds like your wavering a bit.
Give the fluid a try. It can't hurt at this point. However I still think you would be buying time.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Did it ever grind before the fluid change?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Yes. 5th started grinding a few thousand miles before, but it was very rare and almost unnoticeable. It has gotten worse and started in on
4th gear as well, which has overall been far worse than 5th gear. After the fluid change, it continued to get worse, which I think has little or
nothing to do with the grind.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How old was the fluid in there before the change?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
OK. Was wondering.

I say try the cocktail.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
What became of this?

Nothing yet. I don't drive very far/fast (5.2 mi <50mph) on a daily basis so it hasn't seemed super time critical.

I have decided to get the cocktail though. Will order it Sunday/Monday.

Sweet! I have been thinking of the tranny cocktail, havent really tried talking to grimmspeed to get it ordered and see how they came up with it.