How-To: Request: Driveshaft Replacement

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Why didn't they just leave it?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Because UPS here is full of asshats. If I want to pick it up at Will Call, I have to go 16 miles one way, between 8-9 PM only.
I called UPS today and they said I need to sign for it. Idk why... They always pull this shit. I ALMOST told the lady on the
phone "this is exactly why I prefer FedEx" but I figured, it's not her fault.....no reason to berate her.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I never have to sign for Amsoil. Strange. Sorry pal. :(

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It's not your fault, JJ. I still greatly appreciate the hook up....AND it made it here verrrrry quickly :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
So here's the slip from UPS
Rambo.gif

Box 'B' is checked; "The sender required a signature at the time of delivery."
('B' The sender required a signature in person. The driver must obtain a signature
from the person receiving the package at the time of delivery.)

We will try again: Thursday, between 2-5 PM.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Either be there when they deliver again or pick it up at their facility. Picking it up in the evening may be the easiest.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Ooookay, so luckily, I didn't have to stab anyone in the face with a soldering iron.

I took the slip that said "signature required in person" and taped it face down on the
door, signed the back and left a note saying "please leave the package on the porch.
IF I absolutely need to sign for it in person, please call this cell phone number and I will
meet you shortly."

(I live 2.3 miles from work.)

I haven't received a call yet, so I just checked the online tracking and it said "delivered,
left on porch."

Thank God.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The drive shaft is going in today. In a few hours, work will commence.
:rockon:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
IT'S DONE!

It was much easier than I expected. One person can easily do this job in 2 hours, though I'd suggest
two people working. One other lesson learned was that, you do NOT always have to remove the exhaust.
(I imagine that has a LOT to do with which exhaust you have. For reference, my catback is Cobb SS 3".)

I haven't had the chance to get it out on the open road and really give her hell, but I did a couple pulls
1st through 3rd. It seems like boost comes on a little bit sooner, not a whole lot, but a bit. 1st gear is
a freaking animal now. I also notice that I can now cruise at verrrrry lowwww speed in a verrrry high gear.
For example, just for shits and giggles, I was rolling at 15-20 mph, put it in 4th gear and gave it some gas.
The vibrations and bog that you normally get is greatly reduced. Throttle input required to carefully pull
away from a stop sign is also reduced. The first thing I noticed when backing out of the driveway was the
noticeable reduction in clutch chatter.

As time goes on, I will continue to update you on my review of this product. I need to get going a little
faster, in a safer area than where I live, to gather more data. Overall, I am impressed.

The piece itself is beautiful. I will add some pics to the next post. I will also throw together a basic "How-To"
within the next week or so.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I didn't want a face full when I pulled out the shaft, so I drained the entire transmission. After the job was done, I refilled with 4.3 qts. of AMSOIL tranny oil.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Butt dyno results are good. Maybe not the +15-20 wtq., but I'd guess +10.

It also 'feels like' a few horses might have been freed up above 5500rpm.

Once again, I will revise this as I drive it more.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Aaaaaah!

Stop it! Discover card says I'm on fire. Request a price quote.... Must resist. You have my precious

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
LOL Get a hold of Jordan at Defined Performance, and see what he can do for you on a price.

...at least you'll know.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Every day I drive it, I seem to like it even more. For me, I like to drive like a madman (within reason). I long for those days when I pull into the interstate on-ramp lane and see there is no one ahead of me, and I can give it hell. Sadly, in my daily driving, I rarely see those days but I still like the drive shaft upgrade because of how much easier it is to drive normally.

I use a lot less throttle input, and less clutch slip to get rolling in heavy traffic.

I've heard the CF flexes and therefore reduces the shock that your drivetrain feels upon launch and hard upshift at high rpms.
I seemed to be able to feel this on the first WOT run I made after the install. If this is truly the case, I feel much better
about dropping in a built motor and turning the boost up, hopefully making 475/450 at the wheel. I feel that the new shaft
adds a measure of safety to my drivetrain. Also, I recently heard about an STi in the Dominican Republic that snapped a drive
shaft (435whp) and it broke into the cabin and flew around like a kamikaze. This is however, the only time I've heard on this
happening...at least at that power level.

It seems a bit like I feel some torque down low, but up high....+5500 rpm, it pulls so much harder. I was amazed how much
harder it pulled to 7000 when I upgraded turbos, but this is something a little different. Say I'm at 4500 in 4th, taking a huge
sweeping turn to get on the interstate, I'm just about loosing grip when the road straightens out and I stand on the gas...
#1. the engine response seems a half a second quicker.
#2. it @#$%ing screams up to redline, I accidently hit the rev limiter on the first pull.

I'm trying to think of other ways to describe it. I don't want to overplay it because I don't want you to expect what
you won't get, but still trying to be honest in what I feel.

Last edited: