Inverted Shocks and why you want them

Flatout Suspension

On Vacation
The Basics:

1) On a MacPhearson strut-type (Subaru, for instance), the strut itself acts as an arm (for lack of a better term) for the suspension. Forces are applied to the sides of the shock as well as from the top. The thicker diameter runs the length of the assembly giving you increased structural support.

2) The oil and gasses are moved away from the heat of the hub which obviously is where the brakes are mounted. On track events, excessive breaking leads to more than normal heat. With the critical areas moved upward and away from the hub, the inverted shock has a much higher endurance rate.

3) Using an inverted strut means you can keep the piston rod smaller. This is most beneficial because you do not sacrifice internal space inside of the shock which means a higher capacity for oil and gas giving you a better performing shock.

Inverted shock vs upright shock
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444849038.820845.jpg

On a suspension that uses a-arm (Miata, New rear of a Subaru, Etc) there is no need to invert the shock. The assembly is usually away from the hub and angled so heat is not as much a factor. Also, the adjustment knob gets moved to the bottom which would put it inside of the lower mount. To adjust the shock, you would have to remove the lower portion everytime. The trade-off just isn't worthwhile.

In the interest of making the best suspension possible, all of our MacPhearson type suspensions have inverted shocks STANDARD at no additional cost. If you have visited our site in the past, you saw a separate listing for upright (C57) and Inverted (C57i). We have now merged the two together with the 5700, and averaged the price between the two.

www.flatoutsuspension.com
sales@flatoutsuspension.com
(661) 282-7529 (text or call)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Great post.

Thanks for sharing.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i have a dummy question.. i believe what you are saying is an awesome advantage over the traditional upright style. how come this is the first we are hearing about this and other companies are not doing the same? is this a recent discovery?

Flatout Suspension

On Vacation
Nope, it's why I always pushed for inverted.

The only downside is you have to oil the shaft (fat chrome part on top) as it slides inside of the casing during shock compression. That's what I consider normal maintenance as you should clean the shaft on an upright shock as well. Debris is what kills the seals.

Inverted is pretty common in higher end stuff. Most people just see the price tags associated and then say 'but this one (non-inverted) is $899.' A lot of stuff on the market is more relative to price instead of function.

Flatout Suspension

On Vacation
6 months usually. All it takes is to just hit them with the pressure washer and I like to use cutting oil? The same stuff you use for sharpening knives with the stone. It's cheap and it usually has a nozzle so you can just spray it on to the shaft.

Flatout Suspension

On Vacation
Not a problem!

One thing to note about inverted shocks, the piston rod is inside of the black threaded housing where your collars go. There is a much less chance of getting to debris on that shaft and ruining the seal. If you do not boil the shaft at the top on the inverted set up, the worst thing you're likely to get is a sandpaper like noise.

That answered my question I had about the change in the site (didn't see the R57 and R57i anymore).

Any other special maintenance needed? Beyond pressure washing and soaking the shaft (giggity) in cutting oil, I mean. Also, suggested frequency of said maintenance/cleaning?

I like to get my shaft dirty. Ahem, I mean shafts, no judging me here.

How about a ballistic cloth sleeve/wrap to keep crud off? Yea or nay? I'll be moving back up to Minnesota in December so they will be getting exposed to the typical winter crap including salt-sludge.

Recall seeing a DIY on a forum once, and my mom has a sewing machine I could use.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
"Coilover Covers" are definitely a thing. Good, or bad, i dont know. I've though about a set for winter/street driving, but I'd definitely take them off for track duty.