It Blowed Up

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So last night I was on DeerPark avenue on my favorite straight away and I decided to go WOT and WOW what a mistake that was. In fourth gear at around 5800 I heard a noise then a significant decrease in powa and the clouds of smoke and oil all over the wind shield.

I thought "Oh Jesus, Fuck, now what" I knew right away what it was. Thrown Rod. and it was evident from the pools of oil everywhere and pieces of the block just lying around like road kill. But then I was thinking "How could this be" Pauter rods should not break at 5800 in a mid load gear.

I dunno. Here are some pics of the thing being towed away. The tow truck driver was really nice. He did everything in his power not to ruin my carbon lip.

IMG_0195.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0194.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That sucks man. I feel your pain cause my engine is out for a rebuild too. What's your plan?

I'm not quite sure at the moment. My friend has my old block and I'm trying to get it back right now. If I can't get it back I'm looking into getting some use block halves. I have some internal I can throw in. If worse come to worse I have access to a 2.0 block in great shape and I'll throw that in for the winter and start fresh in the spring when I have moar money. (haha, I know):tard:

I wanted to build up my original block to monster status but looks like I'm going to have to throw something together just to get me through the winter.

Sorry to hear about yours!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ah Shit Holy! Now what? That's crazy that the engine blew at 5800 rpms in four gear. So sorry to hear that. :(

Bluedemon_II

Sorry to hear about your loss man! I remember mine, it was not fun. 5,800rpm and mid load, I could only say that you either had a violent knock event. I would go ahead and send your jecs to DW to get them flow tested to see if something went wrong with the injectors. Its the only thing that I can think off right now.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Sorry to hear about your loss man! I remember mine, it was not fun. 5,800rpm and mid load, I could only say that you either had a violent knock event. I would go ahead and send your jecs to DW to get them flow tested to see if something went wrong with the injectors. Its the only thing that I can think off right now.

It's a thought but I'm confident of the injectors. They came fully tested and flow matched. Fortunetly I was logging at the time and I didn't see anything conclusive. Good AFR, No lnock, good fuel trims, I dunno

AirManCam

Yeah, I dont have a definitive answer as to what killed mine either. I said f it and am getting a fully built shortblock with some headwork all aimed at extreme reliability. I'll end up paying around 7k for a block that is built to hold 1000HP according to the builder, so we'll see how it holds up under much lower power levels. It should last quite a while.

Good luck. I hope you all see why I want to get rid of my STI. I'm on my 3rd motor, second built one at that. I love the car to death, but I'm not going to drop 3-5k on a motor every couple months. My car is tuned wicked conservative on this motor and setup @430whp at 22psi...although it would be fun to put it up at 28psi.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I hear people that do monster builds and never have a issue with the motors. I guess it's what parts you use and what builder you use also that makes the difference.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I hear people that do monster builds and never have a issue with the motors. I guess it's what parts you use and what builder you use also that makes the difference.

As long as you do don't ask me to build it. I'll fuck it up for sure.
:tard:

JK

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
:sorry: LMAO!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yay. My friend came through for me! He's got my old block and he had it honed, cleaned and hot tanked.

Today I bought eagle rods and wiesco pistons and acl race bearings. The guys at MAPerformance know me by name now. haha

I would also like to thank Jared for sending cash. Your alright!

Bluedemon_II

I would go ahead and have the pistons matched with the rods and balanced. It helps a hole lot. I sent a 302 forged piston and rod set to be balanced and they were off by 4-5 grams. Not a big weight difference but when you are talking about movement int he ms... it matters. Buy an 11mm oil pump. I would also throw in a Kevlar belt. Bah, I would throw every aftermarket crap i could get my hands on if money wasn't an issue... Cosmic Jesus... why is it that I'm poor :(

GL man!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would go ahead and have the pistons matched with the rods and balanced. It helps a hole lot. I sent a 302 forged piston and rod set to be balanced and they were off by 4-5 grams. Not a big weight difference but when you are talking about movement int he ms... it matters. Buy an 11mm oil pump. I would also throw in a Kevlar belt. Bah, I would throw every aftermarket crap i could get my hands on if money wasn't an issue... Cosmic Jesus... why is it that I'm poor :(

GL man!

Oh you reminded me... I need timing kit... I already have the 11mm oil pump. As for balancing the rods and pistons they come from the seller balanced already. They are sold as a set and I only paid 730 +shipping for both including balancing. The guy usually charges extra for the balancing service but he threw it in for free for me. I guess my good karma is paying off now :D

Juan and I are the same age yet his knowledge is years ahead of mine. :(

I've made up my mind. I'm building a raft, putting my STI on it and sailing to Puerto Rico to become your aprentace. :D

Going to Puerto Rico is actually on my bucket list. But I don't want to go to the tourist locations. I want the country side.

Oh you reminded me... I need timing kit... I already have the 11mm oil pump. As for balancing the rods and pistons they come from the seller balanced already. They are sold as a set and I only paid 730 +shipping for both including balancing. The guy usually charges extra for the balancing service but he threw it in for free for me. I guess my good karma is paying off now :D

Going to Puerto Rico is actually on my bucket list. But I don't want to go to the tourist locations. I want the country side.

Thats not a bad deal at all!

LikaGhst

Trust me I feel your pain man... back in March I had blown my motor and spun bearings due to a cracked and broken oil pick up and my pistons and rods were absolutely fried and shot I just got my STi back up and running in mid October after 7-8months of sitting. Good luck to you sir get that thing back on the road as soon as you can. Also if you can do some of the rebuild yourself you'll save a ton of $$ That's what I did labor would have killed me!

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I have a feeling Holy is gonna build a monster this time!

Bluedemon_II

Juan and I are the same age yet his knowledge is years ahead of mine. :(

I've made up my mind. I'm building a raft, putting my STI on it and sailing to Puerto Rico to become your aprentace. :D

Thanks for the complements Bad, but i still have a long way to go! I just like to read a lot and then practice it all with my lab/car. Right now I'm seeing if I can order a Pocket oscilloscope to analyse my cam sync problems "hall sensor output". Holy, if you are going to upgrade cams, don't get a Aem for now... You will bleed... like I have.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thanks for the complements Bad, but i still have a long way to go! I just like to read a lot and then practice it all with my lab/car. Right now I'm seeing if I can order a Pocket oscilloscope to analyse my cam sync problems "hall sensor output". Holy, if you are going to upgrade cams, don't get a Aem for now... You will bleed... like I have.

I have already bled every fiber of my being with this car.:sosad: I am completely punch drunk.:)) I was considering new cams but I would not be switching out the ECU. I'm pretty happy with the OEM and Cobb combination.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Holy that's to funny, punch drunk, lol!