GD Joey's mistress: MSI rear subframe & 04-06 STI lower control arms

joey.lisano

Do you feel the heavy duty sway bar mounts are necessary, is it more for very hard driven cars, or more of a bling factor? I'm doing the sways and endlinks here soon, and I mine as well do the mounts if needed.
In short, get them. Have fun installing the passenger's side mount. Very few suspension parts are bling.

Ideally, the chassis should not flex at all. In an even better world, it'd be super light and not flex at all. I would love to have a chromoly 4130 tubular steel frame, but we are stuck with a steel unibody. We know the chassis flexes because people install braces and notice an immediate difference. X-brace, fender braces, lower H brace, etc. Those braces wouldn't do anything if the chassis wasn't deforming. Some people on here were even talking about seam welding the frame. When you analyze the dynamics of the suspension, the sway bar mounts are considered part of the frame, and they shouldn't move relative to the body, but if they're weak enough, they will unfortunately flex.

I feel stiffer mounts are for any car with an upgraded rear sway bar. The conventional wisdom is that the stock mounts were designed for the stock sway bar as well as the forces from the stock suspension in general. I personally have not read about anyone breaking the stock mount; however, I think it's more common to break the stock endlink first. If the stock mounts are flexing, then it's a great idea to change them out, just like any other brace or lower compliance bushing. Problem is, it's hard to go around a corner and definitely say, "You know, the rear sway bar mounts are bending." But, with so many companies like Whiteline, Cobb, Perrin, etc. making aftermarket offerings, I think it's safe to assume stiffer mounts are necessary.

Installing them was a little bit of a pain. The driver's side was cake, but the passenger's side is covered up with fuel system stuff. After moving the black charcoal box out of the way, there was a metal pipe right over the bolt. I think it was the fill neck from the gas cap to the tank. I ended up muscling it out of the way while I tightened the bolt.

joey.lisano

Mmmmm, now you got me thinking about expensive stuff I will never own.

Money shot!
911969632_ccPCD-X2.jpg

A spiffy adjustable front sway bar and brake ducts feeding carbon brakes
274/40/17 tires and 3 way adjustable WRC spec rally dampers on push rods and rocker arms
911978732_qMs56-L.jpg

It doesn't know the meaning of bump steer.
911983490_YnEy9-X2.jpg

Last edited:

joey.lisano

I took the car over giant speed bumps, around 6" high and 2-3' long. The dampers seem to handle those just fine at 15-20 mph. Surprisingly comfortable actually. It's just the abrupt cracks and potholes that throw off the dampers. Hmm, noted.

One, cut a hole in the box.
Two, put your junk in that box.
Three, make her open the box.
And that's the way you do it.
It's my **** in a box.

DSC03288.jpg

The word was TMIC. I found a used HyperFlow in the classifieds for a good price. They're an Australian intercooler company, and the core is 4.5" thick, just like a Spearco. I hope I can stuff it in there and fit everything in a reasonably civilized manner. I think the strut bar can still fit, too.

joey.lisano

My fiance came to vist this weekend for Valentine's Day. I finally dug my car out of the snow and started it up for the first time in 3 weeks. I have to applaud the stock battery on its 5th winter. While taking her to dinner, I was spotted by another local. Naturally, she called me a dork for trying to have a quick conversation at a red light. In other news, Operation Stupid Loud Exhaust was vetoed. *snaps fingers* However, Operation Coilover Mania passed without resistance. Win some, lose some.

Going to Got2Boostit2's garage this Saturday to finish everything up, hopefully. With his new hoist, I will stand under my car for the first time. I am prepared to be awed.

joey.lisano

I went to Got2Boostit2's garage this morning. He has a sweet new hoist, so I got to put my car up in the air. He checked everything over, and we made some mental notes. I wanted to adjust the dump tube for the EWG since it was touching the transmission. Previously, I had a jolly old time switching up pipes and dump tubes since the other dump tube didn't fit; by the time I got to the EWG, it was late, the garage was cold, and the fiance was cranky. I didn't want to start tuning the car with a hot dump tube touching the transmission, so I knew I had to fix it. By the time I figured out what size hex tool fit the socket cap screw for the V-band, he had rigged up a ratchet with all sorts of flexible extensions. We didn't even have to take off the downpipe. Too easy! He is the man.
evilbanana.gif

We also test fit a big TMIC, but more on that later. I think this gives me the green light for a protune. I should have the top secret header from Swain Tech in a week or two.

before
DSC03123.jpg

after
thumbup.gif

DSC03310.jpg

clears the CV boot
DSC03312.jpg

clears the downpipe and cat, too
DSC03313.jpg

joey.lisano

The DW1000cc injectors will be fed with a DW300 pump, whenever I install it. I was on the group buy with Apex Performance until DW called it off and delayed the release. It's here now. That's a lot of fuel for the stock peanut on 93. I'm buying supporting mods for my imaginary turbo. :lol:

DSC03324.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I got mine to. I can't wait to put it in! I'm waiting till my turbo goes in. :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If I had enough money I would build you a motor. I have to buy shoes first though!

joey.lisano

It looks like my MSI trailing arms finally shipped. Also, I got sniper1rfa's ball joint remover tool for when that day comes.

I went house hunting in south-central Indiana. It's like paradise... It was above freezing, the grass wasn't under a foot of snow, and the road lacked potholes. I've never seen roads so nice before. Previously, I was talking to Got2Boostit2 about how his coilovers felt compared to springs on the stock struts. He mentioned that the struts hit the bump stops on those big cracks. I did some more driving and thinking, and sure enough, he called it. Little bumps, little dips, big dips are all fine, but big bumps disturb the chassis too much. I thought it was the compression damping at first, but they're definitely hitting the bump stops, even though I cut them significantly. Well, we have ways for fixing that.

Check out my fake wheel teaser pic.
DSC03329.jpg

The "top secret" header has arrived. The tune has been scheduled. It's on.

joey.lisano

It was raining hard, with standing water on the highway. The Group N bushings are so firm that I could feel the rear tires channeling the water in the treads. It was just a cool experience that you can't have with the stock suspension or a normal car.

I hit the biggest pothole ever, only in northern Ohio of course. It must have been a crater from a meteorite. Forget about the bump stops - the damper compressed so hard, I thought it punched me in the face. Everything feels fine, so I am thankful that nothing broke.

MSI has their own packaging tape, and a special delivery from Swain Tech underneath. White Lightning exhaust coating on certain something.
naughty.gif

DSC03360.jpg

MSI trailing arms, TiC's bushings, and sniper1rfa's ball joint remover tool
DSC03362.jpg

DSC03363.jpg

DSC03364.jpg

I also picked up an extra special item.

joey.lisano

It was a long day. I should have plots on Monday, so please be patient. I should also have some dyno pulls uploaded. In the meantime, I guess I'll give a summary of the day.

The Tuners
Since last August, I had been talking to two tuners, Eric and "Thorne" of Applied Tuning Solutions (ATS), about this tune. Eric was going to tune my car and made me those infamous limp maps. They knew about the header test. Unfortunately, the header wasn't ready in August, but neither was I since I still had a lot of supporting mods to install. They used to share a building with Performance Theory Motorsports and tune on a Dynojet dyno. Recently, the two tuners merged with IPS Motorsports on the other side of town. IPS is huge - a ton of cars, lots of lifts, lots of techs pumping out twin turbo kits. They specialize in American muscle, I mean real muscle, as in their V8's make 2-6 times as much power as my car.
eek.gif
The 8 second Vette is getting a bigger turbo and going for 2000 whp. They have a Mustang dyno, and it's a real heartbreaker. Consequently, my tuner kept telling me the Mustang numbers as well as what it would be on the Dynojet.

The Journey
It started a few days ago. I was day dreaming about 245/40 performance winter tires. I was looking at the speed ratings when I realized I should look at my studless winter tires. Q rated for 99 mph. Fine by me, but not enough for 4th gear pulls on the dyno. I had two days to procure summer tires. I ended up switching setups with TheGuestSpeaker, which is why you see his car above with my winter setup. I sold him my summer setup, so I was back to my stock wheels and bald stock tires. It threw off the alignment a little, but the car was still manageable.

I double checked the car last night at 10:30PM. I woke up at 3:30AM with about 2.5 hours of sleep. The past four nights, I got 4 hours of sleep per night, so I wasn't exactly feeling my best. By 4:15AM, the car was covered in 2" of snow and the roads were caked in snow and slush. It was 30*F with a healthy amount of snow. I was sliding around everywhere and had very little lateral stability. Even though my self-proclaimed specialty is driving in the snow, it took 100% concentration the entire trip to keep the car on the road. I had a couple close moments where I went sideways on a bridge or started getting sucked off the road. I could only go 50 mph on the highway, and everyone was passing me. My 3 hours trip turned into 4+ stressful hours. I got there safely, a bit late, but still before they normally opened.

Due to insurance reasons if I were to get hurt in the shop, they wouldn't let me back there except for the final pulls. I surrendered the keys to my car, and they went to work. That had to be the worst feeling I've ever had. Giving my keys to strangers and having them work on my car without me seeing anything. I had to sit in a bare waiting room all day (9 hours) with my box of granola bars.

They first fixed the brackets on my HyperFlow TMIC. The brackets were slightly off, so I think they were for the WRX TMIC brackets. They then had to mill the flange on the Forge BPV in order for it to fit on the TMIC. Moreover, strapping the car on the dyno took some time since I had removed the U subframe and every tow hook. Oops, it was for weight loss...

Tuning
First off, there were no hints of knock throughout the entire tuning session. Also, I had zero oil blow by. That was very reassuring for me. The car saw more pulls today than it has in its entire life.
redface.gif

Eric did all the tuning and was in control of the testing procedure. I agreed with his procedure and believe it is as fair of a representation as one can do. He started at wastegate pressure, and the car shot up to 19 psi. I ordered a 1 bar spring, but it seems I got 1.3 bar's worth. Didn't BAD STI have this problem too? Eric WOT tuned the stock manifold. A tech then installed the header since they wouldn't let me be frugal and install it myself in the parking lot. Eric then ran the header on the stock manifold map - same boost, timing, A/F, AVCS, etc. After getting those numbers, he went for the car's potential with the header. At this time, I was invited to the dyno area and got some video. After that was done, he drove the car on the street to work on driveability. I paid and drove 3 hours home. It was 40*F during the day so all the snow melted and the roads were safe, but I was fighting my heavy eyelids. I got back a little after 10PM.

The Results
When I first heard the numbers for the stock manifold, I swallowed hard. The heartbreaker sure broke my heart. They reassured me that the numbers were typical and at the upper end of stage 2 cars. I wondered why I wasn't making more than stage 2 power if I had an EWG and big TMIC. I should also have more wheel power from the lightweight pulleys and carbon fiber driveshaft. After the header install, the car instantly made more power on the same map. After Eric tuned for the header to see what the car could do, both tuners and myself were very happy with the end results. I was no longer heartbroken. Eric did a lot of pulls, and they need to go through them to find the correct ones for comparison purposes. I can't wait to get the plots and post them.

They said my car is the highest horsepower, pump gas, stock turbo STI that they've ever tuned. When I get used to the power, they recommended E-85 since it's just a gas tank and tune away. They also wanted to see my car with an 18G or 20G since I essentially have all the supporting mods already.

The Sound
It sounds really, really close to the stock manifold. It's not raspy, and it doesn't sound like a traditional 4-1 UEL header. The stock manifold might be a hair deeper in tone, but that's it. Before and after, it sounds like the same car from the driver's seat. I didn't get as much stock manifold video footage as I would have liked though. That's my bad.

My Impressions
The response is ridiculous. Boost comes on so much faster. I actually dipped into boost in the first minute of the test drive while trying to drive easy and get used to the car. It pulls nicely with a firm push back into the seat.
thumbup.gif
Both tuners liked the response and low end torque. I think Eric has an STI. Thorne has an 03 WRX with a built hybrid motor and an 18G with E85. He has 400 ft-lbs of torque and recently sheared two teeth off of 2nd gear, STI RA gears for his 5 speed.

It feels good, but it's not scary fast. I still recall the fear that BadlandsRacer's built engine and 18G-XT put into me. I can manage WOT in a straight line. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty brutal though. The EWG is nowhere near as loud as I thought it would be based on people's descriptions. I think it's great and sounds mean.

The Final Pull
Here's the video of Eric testing the waters before making the final pull. I used my mediocre camera with a tripod, but at least the sound is better than a GoPro's.

Last edited:

Paul.c

No tv? I would have just slept. Glad you finally got a tune man. Limp map Lisano is now.........pro tuned lisano?

joey.lisano

Well, I was trying to hold off posting until I got the dyno graphs. It's taking a bit longer than I expected so I'll give a quick update.

The car feels great and sounds mean. Pulls nicely, even on the 19 psi wastegate pressure map. Got2Boostit2 got to test drive it. He was so impressed that he declared me Joey "Quick Spool" Lisano. No more Limp Map Lisano.

245/40/17 Star Specs installed yesterday with the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balance.

DSC03442.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Your STi sounds real good Joey. The star specs are the next set of tires I'm going to buy when my tires are ready to be replaced. I also like the video that shows the street and not the inside cabin roof, lol.