GD Ashlyn - Mike's EFI Logics-built '04 STI...an autocross warrior.

BadlandsRacer

I run 245/40 18 star specs (duh). When we run we do back to back runs, usually 4-5 all at once then we are done for the day. Because of this the tires can begin to overheat, especially if it is a 2 driver car, causing you to lose traction. By constantly monitoring your pressures between runs you can optimize your tires performance( the most important part of auto-x, other than
The driver). The reason for running higher pressure is so that your tires sidewall doesn't roll. Do you use chalk to mark your sidewalls?

I'm tipsy, sorry if this post is completely incoherent.

Not incoherent at all. My tires are marked with chalk for the coming autocross, which was canceled, so...I have an epic alignment and chalked tires for no reason. Yippee.

When we run, it's nowhere close to back-to-back. We get 2 or 3 runs per run group, and after each we return to the back of the staging line, so there's generally 7 cars in between each of our runs. Tires don't always stay hot, especially when we go park the car for an hour or more while the other run groups drive, before we have our last 3 runs of the day.

BadlandsRacer

Discussion on IWSTI has hed me to believe that ride height is too low...measured 13" in the front and 13.25" in the back. Looks good low but honestly I wouldn't mind raising it since I tend to scrape on EVERYTHING, and I think raising it would help with performance at autocross, even though I DO have Whiteline's RCA/bump steer kit.

I chalked the tires in prep for the autocross that should have been today...shame they canceled this event, especially since I probably won't make the next August event due to military commitments...I'm out an entire month of trying to figure out how to dial in the car.

That said, I don't think there will be room for too many more mods this year. I'm planning for bigger fuel (not super comfortable with my injector duty cycles being so high), and need a new clutch, new brake pads, and probably new rotors as there is a decent lip on them. As much as I'd love a Q-rack, unless I find one for a healthy discount, I think that exceeds Sami's tolerance of my Subie spending for the year...we'd be looking at fall 2012 for that and bigger wheels.

I do think I can fit 245 StarSpecs on these 17x8 Enkeis next season though, so I'm going to give that the old college try.

My plan for the next event I make is to have a notebook handy that I can track all my numbers for that run and the time, and hopefully look at some changes. We really need a members only test & tune day before the actual events. Ugh.

BadlandsRacer

Long while since an update. I've ordered a Beatrush rear tow hook (in red) and am now waiting weeks for it to arrive.

I autocrossed yesterday, and took 2nd place raw time (behind a Tony Kart Extreme) and 1st place PAX time...more on that when I have a chance.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I thought you left us, lol.

BadlandsRacer

Any suggestions on brake pads? This year I am looking for a pad that is
capable for autocross, as well as moderate track duty.

I've narrowed it down to a few choices:

Hawk HP+ (least likely choice)

Project Mu Street Sports HC+ (about as likely as the Hawks)

Performance Friction Z-rated p/n 1001.11 & 0109.10 (torn between these and the EBC)

Performance Friction Race pads p/n 7781.01.15.44 & 0109.01.16.44 (I sent an inquiry via e-mail to Performance Friction and got a call back recommending these pads for my application, autocross & moderate track use. I asked lots of questions about cold friction for autocross and heat fade for the track. I basically feel like the employee just gave me the answers he thought I'd want to hear. Hearing him talk about NASCAR and club racer teams using this compound makes me feel like these pads are a bit too track-oriented for me, and that their cold performance won't be sufficient for autocross duty. plus they're expensive as all hell. they aren't a very likely choice, although Performance Friction is really trying to steer me this way. your thoughts?)

EBC YellowStuff (these pads seem to be designed for a good balance between cold bite and resistance to heat. I've looked at the friction coefficients for these pads, and was previously my most likely choice.)

EBC BlueStuff (looking at the friction coefficients for these pads, there seems to be a higher cold bite than the YellowStuff, AND a better resistance to heat...right now, they're my most likely choice.)

Previously I've used the Hawk HPS pads and felt like they were sufficient for autocross but that I could use a little more bite to stop faster. I really am a brake pad noob and would appreciate any suggestions I can get. Making comparisons is difficult, because I am unable to see friction coefficients for the Hawk, Project Mu, and Performance Friction pads (Hawk flat-out refused to give me theirs), so for the most part, I only have buyer reviews and marketing information to go for any non-EBC pad.

BadlandsRacer

Ordered the EBC BlueStuff, so I have those on the way, as well as new rotors and SS lines and fluid...and new lower mounts for my BC Racing coilovers, so they'll fit 5x114.3 hubs... :D

BadlandsRacer

Want to improve motorsports in the Upper Midwest? Here's your chance. IMEDC (That's International Motorsports Entertainment and Development Corporation) is speardheading a project to create a $500 million dollar motorsports complex in the Minneapolis area that will include oval track, drag strip, and road racing course. We ALL know we could use this up here.

SIGN THIS PETITION and be a part of making the Upper Midwest a bigger place for the automotive performance industry!

http://minnesotaspeedwaypark.com/petition.html

BadlandsRacer

Got some packages today:

DBA 4000 Clubspec T3 rotors (DBA's new-for-2012 4000-series, with a new slot design), plus my EBC BlueStuff rear brake pads. The front pads were on backorder so it'll be a little bit before I see them.

6068.jpg

6072t.jpg

6076.jpg

I also got a new front grill from my friend Ben (haven't had one on the car since the old one was damaged). I was considering a carbon fiber one, but I felt like it might be a little too much with the CF hood already on the car, and Ben's was painted WRB...so he gave me his, and I'll order a CF one to give to him in exchange. He had a pink Impreza \I badge on, but I went at it with the wife's hair dryer, some floss, and some RapidRemover to get it ready for my black Impreza I badge.

6079h.jpg

Things are starting to come together for this year. Still waiting on my brake lines and fluid, and the 5x114 lower mounts for my coilovers, plus a few more things....and I have some new sponsors to announce as well. All in due time. :)

BadlandsRacer

Look what I stumbled upon in my garage today!

418796_10150628567435639_500020638_11408296_313290265_n.jpg

Also, my front EBC brake pads, StopTech SS lines, and Motul RBF600 fluid has arrived, which means I now have all the parts for the required brake work.

427015_10150628821170639_500020638_11408871_737433723_n.jpg

Just waiting on those lower mounts for my coilovers and the hub swap can take place! BC Racing said it'd be another week or two... :(