GD Ashlyn - Mike's EFI Logics-built '04 STI...an autocross warrior.

BadlandsRacer

22 May 2011: RMPhotographi photoshoot in Bismarck, ND

My friend Ross, of RMPhotographi, came down to Bismarck for the Apex Performance/Performance Plus Automotive open house bbq, and agreed to take some shots of my car earlier in the day. This is the first photoshoot that has been done since the installation of the JNA rear spats, Varis cf heat shield, VIS Tracer hood, even the new exhaust and GrimmSpeed's treatment of the intercooler. Unfortunately, I didn't quite have the time to get my Ressler Subaru vinyl on the trunk changed over to a Kupper Subaru one (the name change is now official) but I'm sure they understand...it was the day after I came back from Warrior Leadership.

Ross is a far better photographer than I, and is currently in Missoula enhancing his photography skills. If you're in the area, and need/want pictures taken, he is your man. Period. RMPhotographi does automotive photography, portraits and senior pictures, photojournalism, and more. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/RMPhotographi/164332038909 and http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/HiImPERKi?sk=photos

And now, the pictures:

1resizegq.jpg

3resizew.jpg

5resizeee.jpg

6size.jpg

7resizep.jpg

9resize.jpg

10resizebm.jpg

11resizey.jpg

12resizej.jpg

14resizeh.jpg

16resizeh.jpg

17resizen.jpg

19resizen.jpg

20resizebf.jpg

22resizevx.jpg

Ross's pictures really showcase the car and all the exterior changes I've made recently, and I couldn't be happier. Except to see a few of these on the front page of this journal as soon as I decide which ones are my favs. :lol:

Next up...AUTOCROSS!

BadlandsRacer

4 June 2011: Badlands Region SCCA autocross in Devils Lake, ND

On June 4th, lovers of go-fast convened in Devils Lake to kill some cones at Ruger Park. In my nearly 4 years with the Badlands Region, this was the first time I managed to make an event in Devils Lake. The parking lot is quite small, making ingenuity in course design a necessity. The course wasn't my favorite, but I think the event director did a great job with what we had to work with.

A launch through the lights led to a hard right wrap around a 3-cone pivot, into a slalom, left around two more sets of 3-cones, across the course cutting through the slalom into a lane change back, back right through the first two sets of 3-cones, into a straight-away, right around the second set of 3-cones, and back into the slalom in reverse. At the end of the slalom, left through the first set of 3-cones again and into the finishing lights.

The course was quick, tight, and technical, but I still managed to have a good time. I was more focused on getting the coilover damping dialed in than anything else, and so I neglected tire pressure completely, which was probably responsible for me having progressively slower times as the day went on. My 2nd run was my fastest, with the coilover damping set 14 clicks from soft...a 45.089 with no cones landed me in 3rd place out of 23 entries for the day. Not bad. Ahead of me was a Z06 Corvette on R-compounds and the infamous supercharged silver RSX, now running 265 StarSpecs and E85.

I had the opportunity to give a few rides, hang out with some great car people after the race, and it was a good weekend. However, on the way there, on the Spirit Lake reservation just south of the town of Devils Lake, we ran into about 6 or 7 miles of construction. There were no ground clearance signs, and no construction site I've ever taken the car through has been like this. The dirt/mud was rutted from dozers, with huge trucks flying through slinging rocks everywhere despite the fact that they were still routing traffic through...there were sections where Devils Lake was washing up over the road and water crossings were necessary, and large rocks lying everywhere in the way. The result is my front lip spoiler torn off and then torn into 3 pieces, my driver's side fog light cover missing and my right one severely scratched, numerous chips and a giant crack in my windshield, a dented subframe, and a blown front passenger coilover (which I did not realize until days later...I autocrossed the entire day on a blown coilover).

After about 15 minutes screaming at the construction site manager because she refused to tell me the name of the contractor or who their insurance company was, I decided I wasn't going to let it ruin my day, and continued to Devils Lake to race and have a good time. The damage estimate came out to $2,964, and I have to run the claim through my insurance because the contractor (once I found them) pretty much told me to screw off. Hopefully we can begin the repairs soon. I'll be hitting up JNA Performance for a new front lip for sure.

Anyhow, it's picture time!

3641w.jpg

3642n.jpg

3643q.jpg

3671.jpg

After the racing, we spent some time with a friend of mine and some other guys that were there for the Devils Run Car Show, taking place at the same time.

3644.jpg

3649.jpg

3655p.jpg

3656.jpg

Finally, two spectators fell in love with the car despite its dirty, damaged condition, and both were given rides on course during buck runs. After the course was packed up, they wanted their picture taken with the car:

3659r.jpg

3658f.jpg

Last but not least, the music video. Stay tuned after the closing pictures for some passenger video and shots from the construction site. I'll link it here, but trust me, it's nice on full screen, with the volume up. <3 Wastegate noise and passenger comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HWZSq2OOCk

That brings us up to date on the car. There's another autocross this coming Sunday, and although I won't have had the chance to make repairs before that time, I'll still be there giving her the beans! Stay tuned for more!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh damn it! The car was looking sick dude until you went and crashed it. :lol:

Your photography has improved much. I love some of those shots Especially the one looking down. :tup:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I would be so pissed off right now! I hope all goes well and you get it fixed up!

BadlandsRacer

Oh damn it! The car was looking sick dude until you went and crashed it. :lol:

Your photography has improved much. I love some of those shots Especially the one looking down. :tup:

Thanks much, but I can't take credit...my friend Ross from RMPhotographi took those shots. He's an amazing photographer.

I would be so pissed off right now! I hope all goes well and you get it fixed up!

I'm a little miffed, but I got to race. It'll get fixed...unfortunately, not before the coming autocross on Sunday. :(

BadlandsRacer

Okay so. Please forgive my inattention to my journal and the forum in general. I have been on and off state active duty all summer long to help fight the severe flooding in central North Dakota, and only today came off orders for good (I believe). In addition to that, Sami and I were working on the wedding planning, and my personal life has kept me quite busy. So I'll be rolling out news left and right here, let's get started.

The first piece of news is an Oswald Performance front subframe, a replacement for the heavy stock piece. Mine came in gunmetal color, though they are also available in red, black, and (at additional cost) any color you can think of. The Oswald subframe not only stiffens up the front end of the car a good bit more than the stock U-subframe, it also weighs about 10 lbs compared to the OEM's 24, creating a weight loss of 14 lbs, or 63 lbs total removed as of July 17th. Install is a piece of cake (removing bolts and putting them back in), and took my friend Corbin and I all of 15 minutes (thanks to having a lift and impact). The subframe bolts to all the factory points except the front two, as well as the jacking plate and engine cradle. Some pictures:

3887c.jpg

3892d.jpg

3894b.jpg

The next bit of news is that the front end is finally repaired. A new OEM bumper, fog light covers, corner splitters, and a front lip courtesy of JNA Performance, and the front end looks brand new once more!

3857.jpg

3865.jpg

And now, the news to end all news. In my world, never again will there be such a night to remember. Badlands SCCA racers out in force, old friends, family from all over the country, lights, music, dancing, cake and booze...and for what?

16 July 2011: Seidler/Mercado wedding

The answer is easy. I married the girl of my dreams.

wed01.jpg

Ushers and groomsmen:

wed03.jpg

wed04f.jpg

wed04a.jpg

wed05.jpg

Edie the adorable flower girl (I spy an STi) :

wed08.jpg

wed07x.jpg

wed09.jpg

wed06.jpg

The getaway car:

3939.jpg

3943w.jpg

3945g.jpg

3925m.jpg

The groom (whose bowtie would NOT stay straight all day) :

wed11.jpg

wed10.jpg

wed02.jpg

wed12.jpg

The beautiful bride:

wed13u.jpg

wed14.jpg

wed15.jpg

wed16.jpg

wed17.jpg

The couple:

wed18.jpg

wed19n.jpg

wed20.jpg

wed21.jpg

wed22.jpg

The getaway:

wed23.jpg

wed24.jpg

wed25.jpg

wed26.jpg

The party:

wed27.jpg

wed28.jpg

wed29.jpg

wed30.jpg

wed31.jpg

wed32.jpg

wed33.jpg

wed34.jpg

The honeymoon:

hm01i.jpg

hm02p.jpg

hm03.jpg

hm04z.jpg

hm05.jpg

hm06.jpg

hm08.jpg

hm09.jpg

hm10u.jpg
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/3333057-post1867.html

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Awesome pictures. Congrats pal.

FL4TTURBO

Oh wow....I'm late getting to THIS update.....super big ups to you buddy.

Nice suit btw ;-) (my fat ass hasn't been able to fit my class A's in like 5yrs lol)

Always happy to see a young couple happily married.

What else (besides the ring) is new? I've been out the loop on this forum for a while poking around at 2011 build threads on IWSTI n stuff. I see ya got a new subframe, that must've saved a lot of weight huh?

sent from HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

BadlandsRacer

Congratulations!

Thank you! :)

Oh wow....I'm late getting to THIS update.....super big ups to you buddy.

Nice suit btw ;-) (my fat ass hasn't been able to fit my class A's in like 5yrs lol)

Always happy to see a young couple happily married.

What else (besides the ring) is new? I've been out the loop on this forum for a while poking around at 2011 build threads on IWSTI n stuff. I see ya got a new subframe, that must've saved a lot of weight huh?

sent from HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

No worries mate, I've been out of the loop on this forum and IWSTI while working flood operations and getting ready for the wedding. The subframe is really the only new thing (depending on how much you've missed) and saved a good 14 lbs vs the stock one. I've taken 63 lbs off the car so far; add that to changing to race trim (no spare tire/tools/floor mats) and I'm over 100 lbs lighter. I really need to go park the STi on some scales and figure out how much she really weighs.

I have some plans in the works for the winter, but we'll see what the wife has to say about that. For sure is more fuel for more boost and new rotors (mine are very worn now). I would have liked to do another big purchase, like a quick-ratio steering rack or carbon fiber driveshaft, but I've been having clutch slippage in higher gears, so that may have killed that plan.

Other than that, just looking for someone who can help me get my suspension settings/tire pressures all dialed in.

BadlandsRacer

So, with autocross coming up on Sunday, does anyone have some suggestions for dialing in those BC Racing coilovers? Like I said, by the end of the last session, 20 clicks from soft in the front and 16 in the rear was feeling pretty good but still didn't feel spot on.

As far as tire pressure on the StarSpecs, I don't even know where to start, let alone match with some damping settings. Any suggestions on a cold tire pressure to start with?

This all used to be pretty easy. Everything on this car has been changed pretty drastically now. :lol: Let's hear from suspension and tire experts.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
From what I see when I go to autocross tire pressures are mostly the same for everyone no matter what you have for suspension. I would start with 35 in the front and 30 in the rear. What do you normally run in the star specs?

Paul.c

I don't know JJ. I typically start at 40 f/r and then work my way down as needed. It's alot easier to let air out then to put air in when you are in grid. Then as the tires start to heat up and build more pressure I will release pressure to maintain my optimal pressure which I usually have dialed in after my second run. I like a little understeer so I will typically have nearly equal pressures f/r slightlly less in the rear by maybe 1-2 psi. Just my $.02.

Congrats on the wedding BTW. Looks like it was a great time.

BadlandsRacer

I don't know JJ. I typically start at 40 f/r and then work my way down as needed. It's alot easier to let air out then to put air in when you are in grid. Then as the tires start to heat up and build more pressure I will release pressure to maintain my optimal pressure which I usually have dialed in after my second run. I like a little understeer so I will typically have nearly equal pressures f/r slightlly less in the rear by maybe 1-2 psi. Just my $.02.

Congrats on the wedding BTW. Looks like it was a great time.

Thanks for the congrats sir! It was a blast.

Last event I started with something ridiculous like 44 f/r cold, because I've seen a lot of people recommend very high pressures. I worked my way down and by the end of the day was running 38f/36r. For someone who likes a little bit of oversteer, I'm guessing I should probably have the rear a pound or two higher than the front.

What tires do you run? Also, when you say you let air out to maintain your optimal pressure as your tires heat up...how do you compensate for that when your run group is not running and the tires cool down. Do you have a portable compressor you bring with you?

Paul.c

I run 245/40 18 star specs (duh). When we run we do back to back runs, usually 4-5 all at once then we are done for the day. Because of this the tires can begin to overheat, especially if it is a 2 driver car, causing you to lose traction. By constantly monitoring your pressures between runs you can optimize your tires performance( the most important part of auto-x, other than
The driver). The reason for running higher pressure is so that your tires sidewall doesn't roll. Do you use chalk to mark your sidewalls?

I'm tipsy, sorry if this post is completely incoherent.