GD Ashlyn - Mike's EFI Logics-built '04 STI...an autocross warrior.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thanks a ton, JJ! But you gotta go to TWM's picture page and hit the like button there. ;) Liking the post on my wall doesn't help me out in the contest!

I just did! Now you owe me, lol.

05aSpenTi

On second note, i think i've seen you and your car in person. This past fall I was behind you on state street in Bismarck one time. I was in a White 05 STi with carbon hood and scoop.

BadlandsRacer

On second note, i think i've seen you and your car in person. This past fall I was behind you on state street in Bismarck one time. I was in a White 05 STi with carbon hood and scoop.

I was wondering who you were, since I know most of the STI owners around here. PM sent!

BadlandsRacer

To those of you who know more about this than I: Would it be worth it to order up some ThermoTec heatwrap and wrap the up-pipe that's going on the car with my secret prototype header?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
IGOTASTi police. Dude I love it! :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Congrats on the "HEY THAT'S MY CAR"! contest. My wife picked your STi. Awesome :) Your stuff ships out tomorrow!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Anytime my friend! Congrats again. :tup:

BadlandsRacer

The secret prototype header has arrived! Happy Mike now has a header and a turbo!!

I shipped the up-pipe off to Swaintech today for a dose of White Lightning coating, but I may use heatwrap on the downpipe just for the hell of it.

Still waiting on the OEM thermostat to arrive, and at that point, I'll just be waiting for Swaintech to finish with the up-pipe. On a limited time budget here, however, as I'd like to try my hand at rallycross, and the Badlands Region SCCA's big ice rallycross is February 19th. It'll be interesting to see if everything gets done in time, but if it looks like the up-pipe won't make it, I'll just reassemble everything with the stock stuff and then switch to the header and coated up-pipe over spring break.

BadlandsRacer

Got my car back today!! After driving my beater car, I'd forgotten how fast/loud/uncomfortable/annoying the STi is! :lol: But I love her.

Ordered up a GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace as well...got a great deal. Now, any vendor want to sponsor me for a short throw shifter and some shifter bushings?!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You get your package yet?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
This car has come such a long way from the first time I saw it. You've done so much!!!

Nice job :tup:

BadlandsRacer

Today, I swapped the GMS thermostat to an OEM thermostat to alleviate the drops in coolant temperature - previously, they had been as low as 140*F while at full throttle or cruising on the interstate. I'd like to thank my friend Brock for the use of his shop, his lift, his tools, and most importantly, his time. It is incredibly appreciated.

The swap went pretty easy, as far as things I've done go (and that hasn't been a whole lot), but I'd say doing an STi front sway bar was a bigger PITA than this. On the Koyo radiator, the drain plug is located on the passenger side, hanging right above the U-subframe, so we pulled the lower radiator hose off the motor to drain the coolant. It turns out that our friend Pat had a set of Gates Racing silicone radiator hoses, never installed, left over from the WRX he sold. He gave me a great deal on those, so I got to upgrade my hoses at the same time! Our biggest hang-up was getting the stock lower hose off the fitting on the radiator...Brock ended up cutting it.

After we installed both hoses and the thermostat, we filled the system with a gallon of Subaru coolant, a gallon of distilled water, and a bottle of Subaru coolant conditioner. Some burping of the system, and it was mission accomplished!

Pics - New Gates radiator hoses along the OEM lower hose:

p0182.jpg

Yummy yummy coolant sludge from the overflow tank:

p0184.jpg

And Brock adding some coolant to some distilled water:

p0185.jpg

So that's that! I'd like to do some other stuff before the racing season rolls around, including clearing the headlights finally. However, that's something I'm WAY nervous about...that's a lot of money to stick in an oven. Another thing I'd like to do is paint my intercooler, which brings up a question. The original idea was to use some high-temp BBQ grill paint, but it was suggested to me that I see how expensive some black thermal dispersant paint would be...like that TLTD paint GrimmSpeed has tested with. However, I can't find any of it for sale at the retail level anywhere. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?