Knock Knock Who's There?

OK so I am a little worried now. I get this weird idle jump from time to time where it dips to like 600 or so rpm then jumps up to 1500 rpm. So after it doing it a few times I went to Cobb Plano and one of the guys came out and watch the Access Port and said that it looks normal except for the knock count on Cylinder 4. I asked what could cause that and he said that it seems like bad gas. It happened every time he touched the throttle. So OK I thought I will not get gas at that place anymore. Oh by the way running stage 1 93 + SF Intake map. So I start getting gas at some different places. Still this knock. This morning in a 5 mile range the knock count on Cylinder 4 was 80 and I also have high counts on the other cylinders. I am starting to think that this is not gas related at this point. So I get to my office and change the tune to the Cobb stage 1 91 + SF Intake. I watch the knock count on cylinder 4 again and every time I touch the throttle I get a knock. WTF. This is a 2013 STi limited.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Oh boy.

How many miles on it now?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The first thing I would recommend is a compression test.

The knock counts on the other cylinder could be bleed over from cylinder 4 but, if a significant amount of observed knock is occurring on one cylinder, then I suspect an issue with that one cylinder. Bad gas would produce the same results on all cylinders for the most part.

Do not go WOT with the car from this point forward from until you get this resolved.

Can you please post a log? please include the knock counts, Feedback Knock Correction and both A/F correction #1 and A/F Learned #1

OK sorry. I just looked that them and they do not for some reason have all that you asked for. I will do it again after work.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I believe you need to make them public... I think you can change the permissions from the google settings. I'm not sure how to do it off the top of my head.

I would still like to see what you posted though. :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Never mind... I was able to view them by logging onto my own account.

The only knock I saw was in datalog 3. The knock you are seeing is largely insignificant and I would even venture to say it is normal. The highest value observed is -1.4 and then it reduces from there. That is a good thing because that means that the knock just occurs and then goes away before it gets worse. If it started at -1.4 and then climbed to -2 or more, then you would have an interesting knock event.

Also it is adding dynamic advance which means the ECU is doing it's exact function by adding timing to the threshold of knock and then backing it down. As long as your total timing is above base timing you are probably okay.

I would still like to see a better log with the following parameters though....

Cylinder roughness (all four cylinders), both A/F correction and A/F learned, Feedback and fine learned knock, Gear, Throttle, Load, RPM, primary ignition, dynamic advance, Maf Voltage, Injector duty cycle.

I would like to see a log of both around town and one 3rd gear pull.

George

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I really don't see anything that is great cause for concern. It is interesting that you get a knock count every time you blip the gas. That could simply be the per cylinder trims and could probably use a little enrichment on cylinder 4.

It could also be gas related but it really isn't that bad. Can you give us some more details about the car? Year, major engine mods and what not...

Also if it is of great concern to you, since you are a supporting member you can take advantage of the e-tuning service we offer free to you and we can eliminate all of your concerns. You can either opt for just a cleanup of the OTS tune or have a full on tune done. Its up to you.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Also what about the idle jumps I have?

We can take care of that too... I would like to give the car a complete diagnostic run through first. What year car?

Also before any tuning can begin you should have done a complete oil change and I recommend amsoil. Replace the spark plugs with one step colder plugs and gap to .028 and get a compression test done. All of this should be done regardless of whether you tune or not.