Knock Knock Who's There?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh... well then a compression test is probably not necessary. One step colder plugs wouldnt hurt though.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
NGK iridium LFR7AIX

Ask one of our vendors, I'm sure you will get a good price. I suggest posting in the vendor quotes thread. :tup: They usually run between $35 to $50.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Could this be a clogged or malfunctioning fuel injector...? Totally random I know, but made me wonder.
If you log, maybe looking at the fuel injector duty cycles would tell you something.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Can anyone more knowledgeable on fuel injectors chime in here?***

If there is something wrong there, you should be able to tell without sending me anything.
It'd be ridiculously obvious I'd think. 3 cylinders FI duty cycle pretty much even and then 1
cylinder way out of range.

I don't think there is a high probability that this is the problem, especially because like you
mentioned it's still very new, but it can't hurt to check especially seeing how you already
have the AP and all.***

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Absolutely it could be a dirty injector. That is actually one of the more likely scenarios IMO.

Perhaps try some good injector cleaner. I just don't know what brand is good these days.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Awesome, let me know how it goes. I don't know how much gas is in your tank right now,
but I'd put in at least the recommended amount (I don't recommend putting in way too much
but if you go a little overboard, nothing bad is going to happen), wash it down with a little gas
if you have some in a can, and let her idle for quite awhile.

How long is up to you but I'd go probably 15 minutes, then shut her down, wait a couple hours
so the chemicals sitting in the fuel system can do their job, then idle again for 15 minutes.

I really hope that fixes the issue. It's a cheap, relatively quick and painless option.

Ok I went and purchased the Amsoil as suggested. Nothing. And Cobb says this is normal for the car as you can see from the email below. Maybe I just worry to much but the hesistation I feel at 3k rpm and idle jumps do not feel normal to me. But what do I know I again am a newbie. I am going to do the E-Tune I have available to me since I am a Sponsor of IGOTASTi and go from there. Thanks for everyone you chimed in. Atleast I know I have the support of my fellow STi owners.

From: Adrian Spears [mailto:adrian.spears@cobbtuning.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:28 PM
To: Rick Wegmann
Subject: Re: Knocking 2013 STi?

Hi Rick,

Just followed up with Calvin. The knock count is completely normal, especially on cyl 4 for a Subaru. The sensor is in that location and will always accumulate counts. What you want to pay attention to is fine knock learn. Your logs looked normal and the car should be doing fine.

Thanks!

Adrian Spears

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Ok I went and purchased the Amsoil as suggested. Nothing. And Cobb says this is normal for the car as you can see from the email below. Maybe I just worry to much but the hesistation I feel at 3k rpm and idle jumps do not feel normal to me. But what do I know I again am a newbie. I am going to do the E-Tune I have available to me since I am a Sponsor of IGOTASTi and go from there. Thanks for everyone you chimed in. Atleast I know I have the support of my fellow STi owners.

From: Adrian Spears [mailto:adrian.spears@cobbtuning.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:28 PM
To: Rick Wegmann
Subject: Re: Knocking 2013 STi?

Hi Rick,

Just followed up with Calvin. The knock count is completely normal, especially on cyl 4 for a Subaru. The sensor is in that location and will always accumulate counts. What you want to pay attention to is fine knock learn. Your logs looked normal and the car should be doing fine.

Thanks!

Adrian Spears

Purchased the AMSOIL as suggested?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The hesitation at 3k may be the typical stumble that is common with these cars. A good tune should fix the stumble.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member