Low Boost & Hesitation Help!!!

So the dealer found that the ring-land on piston 4 was cracked. They replaced it but the car does not seem right. It idles rough and I feel slight surging at low RPM when I have it floored. My AFR gauge flutters around at 13 for a few seconds after I go WOT then it will go to 11. Boost will then go up to around 17 for 1/2 a second before settling down at around 15. I do not have the AP installed and the stock intake is in the car. Note that when I got the car home from the dealer the snorkel was not put back on, the air box was not even bolted back in and the power steering reservoir bolt was not even tightened down. The power steering fluid was below the low mark as well as the engine coolant.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Take it back and make them fix it. Most likely they didn't get something hooked back up.
Kinda sounds like boost/vacuum leak but could be a host of issues.

Ok so I dropped the car back off at the dealer yesterday. So hopefully they will fix it this time!!!!!

I edited my original posts about going to the track because the tech at the dealership was trying to accuse me of doing more mods then what I had really done. I removed my IGOTASTi.COM sticker to keep them from coming here and seeing the parts I had installed on the car before I took it in. But the Tech said that he had seen my car on a forum and made the comment that he had seen where I was running meth injection. This was after many other forum mod comments so I was trying to hide what actually happened. The meth injection comment is when I discovered he was making shit up. Really had me scared I will tell you that. Just sucks that a fellow STi owner would do that. Not like the dealer is giving the tech a kick back or something. Just wanted to be a dick!! He made a funny comment stating that if I was taking corners to fast that the car would run lean and blow a ringland. Funny that when I bought the car the sales manager showed me the video of the car doing the ISLE OF MAN, and that guy was taking corners fast. How many ringlands did he go through?

Anyway my plan is now that once they fix the car fully is to have HolyCrapItsFast finally do a tune since I will have the compression test and leak down test done. I had a thought about tuning. In an effort to avoid nailing red line, could you tune the car in such a way where when you went over 6k rpm the car would bog down or slowly lose power to get you to shift? Just a newbie thought.

I will install the catch can fully this time. On my car there is a sensor where the hose should install that was not in the instructions and I could not find anyone else that had run into that. So I will be asking for help on that once I get the car back.

I have the Texas Mile coming up and want to be ready for it. Check it out www.texasmile.net. AWDTuning will be there with their blue Subie.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Now I'm sad, but I understand.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ok so I dropped the car back off at the dealer yesterday. So hopefully they will fix it this time!!!!!

I edited my original posts about going to the track because the tech at the dealership was trying to accuse me of doing more mods then what I had really done. I removed my IGOTASTi.COM sticker to keep them from coming here and seeing the parts I had installed on the car before I took it in. But the Tech said that he had seen my car on a forum and made the comment that he had seen where I was running meth injection. This was after many other forum mod comments so I was trying to hide what actually happened. The meth injection comment is when I discovered he was making shit up. Really had me scared I will tell you that. Just sucks that a fellow STi owner would do that. Not like the dealer is giving the tech a kick back or something. Just wanted to be a dick!! He made a funny comment stating that if I was taking corners to fast that the car would run lean and blow a ringland. Funny that when I bought the car the sales manager showed me the video of the car doing the ISLE OF MAN, and that guy was taking corners fast. How many ringlands did he go through?

Anyway my plan is now that once they fix the car fully is to have HolyCrapItsFast finally do a tune since I will have the compression test and leak down test done. I had a thought about tuning. In an effort to avoid nailing red line, could you tune the car in such a way where when you went over 6k rpm the car would bog down or slowly lose power to get you to shift? Just a newbie thought.

I will install the catch can fully this time. On my car there is a sensor where the hose should install that was not in the instructions and I could not find anyone else that had run into that. So I will be asking for help on that once I get the car back.

I have the Texas Mile coming up and want to be ready for it. Check it out www.texasmile.net. AWDTuning will be there with their blue Subie.

Not really. You should take advantage of the shift light. Also contrary to popular belief, I believe it is safer to set you rev limiter higher. The reason why is because when the ECU limits revs, it cuts fuel. This creates a lean condition when the revs are allowed to come back on because the cylinders are void of any fuel. As a byproduct, there is an excess of heat as well. This happens at 6500 rpm in stock tunes and at that rpm, spells potential disaster. This is why you will hear people often recommend against bouncing the rev limiter ever.

You are better off teaching yourself to control your sift points. :tup:

Last edited:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
You can build in a 'soft' rev limit using the DBW tables - requested torque. Basically you create very low requested torque past the required RPM range that will pull you out of WOT.