GR My 2011 STi (wtf is a warranty?) journal

sjcurtis

Well I got some goodies in the mail today :D
IMG_20130416_131901_071.jpg

IMG_20130416_131653_058.jpg

IMG_20130416_131806_201.jpg

sjcurtis

I finally got my Aerocatch latches in and I am so glad that I am finished putting holes in the new carbon fiber stuff. I drilled holes around the inside border of the template then finished the hole up with a air saw. I smoothed it out with a small sander wheel. I put the nuts in the backing plate and slid it in the hole for the latch and held it with my finger through the small hole on the bottom side of the hood while I lined up the latch and put the bolts in it. So it turned out great and I didn't have a big hole in the bottom of the hood.

sjcurtis

Well I figured out how to use the stock hood struts with the new carbon fiber hood. I went and bought some square tube aluminum 1"x1/16" and cut it in half. I marked the spots where the hood bracket and the strut bracket bolts would go and drilled the holes in it. It bolted up great and there is no gap.

I had to notch it out a little bit for the strut bracket

And I hade to notch the holes in the strut bracket so the holes would line up when it was inside the square tube

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Looks great! Man, i'd be so nervous cutting up a new CF hood, but looks like you did a good job of it!

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
This car has come a hell of a long way. Amazing job with it! Glad to know I'm not the only one who drives the hell out of these things.. heh. My '11 is at around 46k miles now... :p

sjcurtis

Looks great! Man, i'd be so nervous cutting up a new CF hood, but looks like you did a good job of it!

Oh I was!!!!!!! It only took me three hours to do the Areocatch latches hahahahaha but I think they where worth the time I really like the way they turned out.

sjcurtis

This car has come a hell of a long way. Amazing job with it! Glad to know I'm not the only one who drives the hell out of these things.. heh. My '11 is at around 46k miles now... :p

Thanks man. Its not hard to put that many miles on the car when I have a 120 mile round trip to work hahahaha. Its just a damn good thing I share the drive with two other guys or the mileage would be at least double that.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
I hear ya! I drive about 56 round trip a day, 6 days a week a good part of the year, plus day to day getting around town and doing stuff.. amazing how fast it all goes. lol

sjcurtis

Well I bought a 12 foot roll of 3M 1080 carbon fiber vinyl wrap and it can in Friday so I have been wrapping all weekend.

before

and the during and after

and the roof

and the mirrors

sjcurtis

And a couple of pics of the car after all the wrapping. I only did the rota center cap on the back driver side because I'm not real sure if I like it yet.

Bang876

Cars looks amazing man! I very much enjoy the time and effort you put into posting everything you did to the car. It was almost like I follow the journey along with you and appreciated the car even more knowing how much work you put into it. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing. :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yay! That stuff is great! I have my roof, top of wing, and center console wrapped too! :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Nice job. I've got an entire roll of 1080 in matte black. Need to do some wrapping myself.

sjcurtis

Thanks guys!!!! I really like how the interior came out!!!! I have been hating the scratched up silver crap around the shifter for a while. I kinda like doing this wrapping thing and I have had a couple of people wanting to get me to wrap some stuff for them so I might start doing this one the side :D

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks guys!!!! I really like how the interior came out!!!! I have been hating the scratched up silver crap around the shifter for a while. I kinda like doing this wrapping thing and I have had a couple of people wanting to get me to wrap some stuff for them so I might start doing this one the side :D

Potential good $$$ on the side ;)