My STI smells like gas...

patdelamimbres

I just noticed that since it has been getting freezing cold, my 2005 STI smells of gas when I get in and start it up. I took it to the local Subaru dealer and they said that they could not find any leaks or any reason why it would be smelling that way. It seems like it has something to do with the cold because I never noticed it in the past or when it was warmer. Maybe I should take it to someone else but it is starting to get annoying. Nothing like getting your date lightheaded before taking her out! Any ideas on what I can do about it would be great. Thanks!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What year?

I'll wait for others to chime in, but can you pinpoint if its stronger anywhere in the car? How about under the hood?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
http://downloads.bustedfingermotors.../09-36-0334719 fuel smell in cold weather.pdf

NUMBER: 09-36-03
DATE: 04/01/03
APPLICABILITY: 2002MY Impreza WRX
SUBJECT: Fuel Smell in Cold Weather
INTRODUCTION
Some 2002 model Impreza WRX (2.0L Turbo) may experience a fuel smell in cold weather
(temperature < 14?F) from the rubber hose connector, located under the intake manifold,
between two direct fuel-feed metal lines to the injectors.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I am noticing this issue as well in my 2004 STi. I notice it a little bit in warm weather, but A LOT in cold weather. Enough so
that I have to roll down the windows and drive 100 yards to blow the fumes out...it's getting ridiculous. I am catless, but this
smells like raw gasoline, not an uncatt'd exhaust. I'm starting to wonder if I'm not getting a good seal on the fuel tank access
lid, where you get to your fuel pump (I have a Walbro 255 installed) and maybe there is a lot of priming action going on in the
tank when I first start it up and a bad seal could force fumes into the cabin from under the back seat. I can smell gas faintly
outside the car, not necessarily under the hood per say...but inside the car...holy shit my eyes are watering.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah my guess would be something to do with the fuel pump area... Definitely have someone else check it out or do it yourself if you can. The bottom line is if you are smelling gas there is a leak.

There is also a possibility that the venting system is the cause and you are simply smelling escaped vapor that is getting back into the car somehow.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Did you check your fuel pump hanger gasket? That was a big issue on them as well as the connector under the manifold.

Are you referring to the gasket around the access panel to the fuel pump on the top of the tank, under/behind the rear seat?

That was going to be my first guess...

There is also a possibility that the venting system is the cause and you are simply smelling escaped vapor that is getting back into the car somehow.

I'm not familiar with the venting system or where exactly you are talking about.

It's so damn cold outside right now---it was 8 degrees Wednesday morning---and I don't have a garage
to park the car in, so getting motivated to perform any work on the car is a huge chore. Hands freeeeeeze
and you can't feel shit when you're wearing gloves. FML lol

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ That was my best guess as well.

It's gonna be a while before I get around to it, but when I do, I'll let everyone know what I find.

I had the same problem on my car (2004 sti) it was coming from the black rubber fuel lines that goes between the intake runners on the left side of the engine

largeintake_zps89d390a0.jpg

You are going to want to check the lines under the intake

closeup_zps06689dc4.jpg

And it makes a little sense that it would smell in the cabin too

Airvent_zpsa3478679.jpg

This Is what I had to fix to get rid of the smell I hope it will help you too.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Wow, I think you're right. When I left work yesterday, I opened the hood and started the engine. No more gas smell on startup. I started sniffing around
but it was difficult to pinpoint due to the wind. I just saw the pictures, so I'll look at what you pointed out. What exactly did you end up having to do? Tighten
loose connections or get some kind of replacement, longer hose perhaps?
Thanks for your help dude.

I just tightened them up. Pain in the ass to get to the ones under the intake manifold but it can be done. I had to remove the bolts holding the piping to the manifold to get some room to maneuver.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
So my STi was running like shit as I was getting home from church today, so after I pulled into my parking spot at
my apartment, with the engine running I opened the hood and hollllllly shiittttt I'm leaking fuel! I've left it sit out
there for a few hours now, hoping that the pressure in the lines would drop a bit so I when if I have to loosen and
reposition anything, I don't get sprayed with too much fuel :-(

35r

Had that happen recently. It smelled TERRIBLE inside the car.Ended up just being a fuel line i hadnt tightened up all the way, so every time the motor moved it would squirt out by the clamp. Fixed it in about 30seconds...once i found where it was. That was the hard part. We were looking in the bay for a while.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well, I just got back inside. My fingers are frozen but I fixed one issue. The other issue I actually made much, much worse....FML

I tightened a number of fittings that were leaking and fixed that issue. Then I noticed a fuel T connection that was wet. I tried
to readjust that connection and heard a slight 'snap' from inside. I couldn't see any damage but when I started it up, that connection
began speeeeeewwwwwing fuel. So, I guess I need to get a new fuel T connection and more hose clamps (Idk what's up with
the clamps that I have on there now but they are shit) from the parts store tomorrow and I'll be bumming a ride to work :(

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I managed to get the LAST fuel T connection at my local Advance Auto Parts. Thank God it was a brass one too.
I will never...use any plastic or polymer bullshit on fuel connections......ever again. If you guys could have seen how
deteriorated the material was, you'd shit. Those connections and fuel lines came in the box with my turbo kit and I didn't
think anything was wrong with them at the time. From now on I will only use metal. The damn thing was only installed
since May 2011. There's no reason that fuel should ruin it that quickly. When I was pulling the nipples out of the fuel
lines, pieces of plastic were ripping off like it was dry rotted.

*ALSO* Thank God I learned this lesson the easy way. Carefully visually inspect fuel (vacuum, etc. etc.) connections
BEFORE installing them. The brass T fitting I bought had a few brass shavings stuck to the inside from the milling process
during manufacturing. I knocked them out easily with a long, narrow screwdriver.
But what if I hadn't looked inside before install? I'm sure those shavings would have come loose and washed downstream
into my fuel rail, potentially blocking it.

Food for thought.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
FML. I'm having this problem again, but now the leak is somewhere next to the fuel rail over the passenger side head.