Need Advice...

STIJunkie04

Hey guys I'm A First timer when it comes to any Forums. I recently bought a 04 STI 73k exterior is in good condition mechanically this car is Mint never Modified other than the exhaust...until Now. I want to have a tune done the car has never had one and the exhaust was installed in 04 by the org owner, which is who I purchased the car from. I also would love a cold air and BOV. Just don't know which order i should be going with and really don't need Crazy power car runs very smooth now but I'm sure she wants to Finally RUN. Thought maybe a tune was a good first step. 399 +89.99 manual boost controller installed under the hood.

Any feedback will be Much Appreciated
Thank you

STIJunkie04

I'm sure this particular blog wasn't the correct place to ask such a question considering the convo above was about something entirely different so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We can tune it here. ;)

STIJunkie04

Where is here exactly I'm 24 and believe it or not I am not online often until I heard about how helpful these forums can be. I'm not sure how to navigate around but am now looking on your site

STIJunkie04

Hmm not comfortable to a online tune until I am more familiar with the way all of this works. Any way you could tell me your opinion as to where to find affordable aftermarket parts? I'm in need of cat delete down pipe, rotors and pads all the way around. That would be a good start, once I have down pipe in trunk with pads and rotors on I can the drive someplace to have down pipe installed gauges installed and car tuned

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We have a forum where you can request price quotes from our Vendors.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hey guys I'm A First timer when it comes to any Forums. I recently bought a 04 STI 73k exterior is in good condition mechanically this car is Mint never Modified other than the exhaust...until Now. I want to have a tune done the car has never had one and the exhaust was installed in 04 by the org owner, which is who I purchased the car from. I also would love a cold air and BOV. Just don't know which order i should be going with and really don't need Crazy power car runs very smooth now but I'm sure she wants to Finally RUN. Thought maybe a tune was a good first step. 399 +89.99 manual boost controller installed under the hood.

Any feedback will be Much Appreciated
Thank you

A word of wisdom. You would do better to not even consider a BOV or even a CIA for that matter. In most cases it will hinder performance rather than help. Start with a stage 1 tune and a drop in K&N filter or get some stage 2 mods and a good tune.

Spend your money and do your mods wisely and you will have your car for years to come. Otherwise you will have many issues including possible ring land failure.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Research!!!! Listen to holycrap, that is the best advice and starting point for you right now. There are correct ways to mod and then there are incorrect ways. Accessport is the best starting point as far as tuning for power goes. Stage 1 and stage 2 are your immediate best bamg for the buck power wise.

As far as brakes go, do you want brakes for performance or longevity as far as DD goes? I have some great websites and prices bookmarked and our venders can also help you out on the items youre looking to purchase! :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
20.5 lbs boost for one year on Cobb bpv/bov (ran in recirc) the damn thing went tits up. Back to factory and passing air like an 80 year old eatin broccoli.
Reconsider the bpv until you really need it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
20.5 lbs boost for one year on Cobb bpv/bov (ran in recirc) the damn thing went tits up. Back to factory and passing air like an 80 year old eatin broccoli.
Reconsider the bpv until you really need it.

And if his pocket is burning that badly and he must buy something... Forge bpv...

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My advice, is put EVERYTHING on hold for at least a month. In that time, do your research, ask questions, get answers. There are lots of parts you *can* put on the STI, but many of them have downsides that you should be aware of before doing so.

An easy-to-explain example is brake pads. You may be tempted to put on awesome track pads, but they will be HORRIBLE on the street. Track pads need to be REALLLLLY hot to work right, like they'd be at a track with LOTS of heavy braking. On the street and highway, they'll never get hot enough, and your braking will be worse, and you'll wear out rotors super quickly. Things like CAIs, BOVs, Headers, Tunes, BCSes, etc have similar plus/minus sides to them. Dont be in a rush to modify, becuase there's a good chance that a month later you'll wish you'd done something slightly differently.

Theres LOTS of good info already on the site, but dont be afraid to ask questions, even ones that may seem silly or obvious. Nobody will be mean. We'll either point you towards the info or answer your question with new info...and probably both.

802PWR

May want to look into investing in upgrading your suspension instead of a power mods. I've been talking with Turnin Concepts and they have helped me a lot.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
You have definitely come to the right place.

The easiest way to get you started down the road of (never-ending :lol) modifications is to determine what your end goal for the car is. DD, Auto-X, Track Days, a little of each? More power? Better handling? As others have said, proper modifications are often a fine balance between a number of variables such as drive-ability on the street, functionality on the track, longevity of the car/parts, etc. etc. etc.

A very disheartening thing that has happened to many of us over the years is, installing mods that turn out to be restrictive....i.e. that part may be good enough to make 350-400hp with a good tune, and that's great, but next year your goal turns out to be 450-500hp and now you're replacing expensive parts that you only bought last year.

The whole process is so much easier when you have a plan and an end goal.