Need Help choosing Stock location Turbo!!!!????

05wrb

So I have been able to narrow it down to 2 different Turbos .. I think..lol... Its between the ATP GTX3076R .... or..... the AMR EFS 600........ if you are curious about my current setup check out my members journal.. I would like to stick with a stock location, internally gated turbo. Also I want a fast spool and long power band.. ;) please help me decide. Has anyone used either of these or have any input???

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My vote is for the 3076. It spools a bit quicker and is application and time tested.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have ATP's 3071R and I love it. I'm having a hard time finding a spec sheet on the EFS 600. What is your power goal? A 3076R
is capable of making about 475-500whp as long as the rest of the build is correct.

Also, AMR says that with the 600, the turbo inlet will not fit properly (will contact the TGV motor) unless you delete your TGVs.
Honestly, you should delete the TGVs anyway, but I just wanted to mention that before you made your decision.

05wrb

Thanks for the input.. I have already deleted the tgvs .. but I think I've made my decision:) thanks ;)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Thanks for the input.. I have already deleted the tgvs .. but I think I've made my decision:) thanks ;)

ATP then...?

05wrb

Yep.. can't buy it right now, but that's the one I want.. I'm only looking for around 400whp, but I would like some flexibility down the road..

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
If you don't see yourself making more than 450whp, maybe the 3071R would be a better choice. It spools a little faster than the 3076R, but of course the 3076 has a little more breath left at high rpms....hence the 25-50whp difference.

I know you just rebuilt your engine. If you built it with more than the factory compression, you might possibly be able to get closer to 500whp, especially with head work and cams.

Last edited:

05wrb

Stock cam, ported and polished heads. .. I think the 3076 is what I'm looking for because I want a longer power band .. I don't want to go too crazy with the power.. 450whp Max.. its a street car that I drive in traffic a lot.. so I want to maintain the drivability.. usable power ... street or strip.. right now its making 330whp @ 18 psi on 93oct.. (stock Turbo).... when I get the new Turbo I will do an e85 tune as well...

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm pretty certain the length of the powerbands will be nearly the same between both turbos. The only difference is where the powerband starts and ends.

The 71 starts and ends earlier than the 76. Either way, I've seen a number of logs showing 24-25 psi at 7,000rpms on the 3071.
If you moved the rev limiter up to 8,000rpms, the 76 would be much more beneficial.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to provide the info for you to make the decision that is right for you. :tup:
Maybe some of the other guys will chime in as well.

05wrb

Thanks for the info! I want the power to come on quick so maybe the 71 will be better for my needs..

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Stock cam, ported and polished heads. .. I think the 3076 is what I'm looking for because I want a longer power band .. I don't want to go too crazy with the power.. 450whp Max.. its a street car that I drive in traffic a lot.. so I want to maintain the drivability.. usable power ... street or strip.. right now its making 330whp @ 18 psi on 93oct.. (stock Turbo).... when I get the new Turbo I will do an e85 tune as well...

You should be able to reach your hp goals on E85 with a 20g or dom 1.5 or something similar. You'll have even better streetability and a bit quicker spool.
E85 is a game changer and brings small turbos with faster spool into big boy territories.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Keep in mind that dyno numbers are all relative. I truly hope you don't see low numbers on a mustang dyno and regret the 3071. A car making 425whp on a mustang dyno could very well produce 475 on a dynojet.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
And after even more consideration and Batmobile's input... I to am leaning toward the 3071. It will be better suited for daily driving in traffic and provide a great top end power band at the same time. :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ That's pretty common. A good Stage II protune often makes about 310whp on the dyno.