PORTED HEADS WITH A STOCK TURBO

Since I have to get a valve job done on my 2005 sti heads I'm considering doing some mild porting of the heads.

Is it a complete waste of time and money while still running the stock VF39?

Will it increase or decrease turbo spool time?

The other question is if I decided to drop massive money in to head work are +1mm valves worth it or more hassle then what they are worth especially on a stock turbo?

I do plan on going with a bigger turbo in the future but still will be looking for a fast spooling 375-425WHP turbo on a 92 octane map so i dont want to do a mod thats not going to work with my current and future plan of the build.

Thanks for any feed back and opinions you guys have since I've searched on the web for about 12 hours now and keep getting mixed info.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
IMO, On a stock turbo you probably won't notice a damn bit of difference between ported and not. A much larger turbo will take advantage of porting but the stock won't even see it. If you are going with a larger turbo later then perhaps it is worth it now to do it, but for the horse power you suggest, we are not talking a very large turbo. Certainly not enough for larger valves.

Just clean up the heads and have them do some bowl blending. Then do TGV deletes (if not done already) and phenolic spacers.

IMO, On a stock turbo you probably won't notice a damn bit of difference between ported and not. A much larger turbo will take advantage of porting but the stock won't even see it. If you are going with a larger turbo later then perhaps it is worth it now to do it, but for the horse power you suggest, we are not talking a very large turbo. Certainly not enough for larger valves.

Just clean up the heads and have them do some bowl blending. Then do TGV deletes (if not done already) and phenolic spacers.

Exactly what I was figuring and probably what I will be doing. I was just wondering if I had some decent porting done if it would hurt the stock turbo spool increasing lag.

Pretty much Im willing to get the porting over with rite now since I do plan on going around a gt30 size turbo in the future.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Porting will not hurt the stock turbos performance at all. You may notice some better response since air moves better through ported heads but the characteristics of your stock turbo will be largely unaffected.

Porting will not hurt the stock turbos performance at all. You may notice some better response since air moves better through ported heads but the characteristics of your stock turbo will be largely unaffected.

Thanks for the feedback if I can do the heads on a semi budget with some mild porting I will go ahead and do it so it will benefit me when I upgrade turbo in the future.

TK-421

For what it's worth, just clean up the casting flash and gasket match the ports. A little blue dyekem and a scribe makes the job a breeze. Get yourself a port and polish kit from summit to use with a straight die grinder and a decent set of cross cut burrs (astro pneumatic makes a decent set) once you have all that, take your time with each port, take small amounts of material away at each pass and you'll get the hang of it. Totally agree with [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]. The stock STi heads flow pretty well to begin with, when you clean up all the casting flash and gasket match each port is when it makes it worth doing any sort of rebuild on stock cylinder heads to stock specs.

Sure I get wanting to research going all out and having a motor that's built so strong you could shove uranium 235 in it and light it off. But seeing that your going for very respectable and reliable numbers, there's no need to dump money into full worked heads, unless your building a 1/4 mile drag queen.

If you need any tips on porting or polishing gimme a shout and I'll see if I can grab an old cylinder head off something in my shop and do my best to attempt another one of my famous "how to's"

TK-421

I know this is for a 4G63 here, but the principle is the same.

Give this video a looky loo and it'll show you, in detail what's all involved in porting and polishing your heads

Well i always love watching DYI videos so if you ever do one post it up since im sure it would be educational.

Thanks to you im convinced i have enough common sense to do my own road tune and I've been watching/listening to the FASTuuN videos and do realize I have enough common sense to do this voodoo magic.

What do you think of the aem air fuel boost gauge combo that cuts boost when you run lean? I'm thinking of getting it since im a minimalist when it comes to gauges and think it could be another safety measure when im on my tuning mission. Or do you think it could just be another headache?

TK-421

Well i always love watching DYI videos so if you ever do one post it up since im sure it would be educational.

Thanks to you im convinced i have enough common sense to do my own road tune and I've been watching/listening to the FASTuuN videos and do realize I have enough common sense to do this voodoo magic.

What do you think of the aem air fuel boost gauge combo that cuts boost when you run lean? I'm thinking of getting it since im a minimalist when it comes to gauges and think it could be another safety measure when im on my tuning mission. Or do you think it could just be another headache?

I've toyed around with idea of making DIY videos.

And the AEM failsafe gauges are worth every penny, when it comes to being safe you can never be too careful, it's not only good for tuning it's also good as a just in case back up redundancy for if and when anything happens in the future.

I've toyed around with idea of making DIY videos.

And the AEM failsafe gauges are worth every penny, when it comes to being safe you can never be too careful, it's not only good for tuning it's also good as a just in case back up redundancy for if and when anything happens in the future.

Cool its the gauge I've already decided to purchase since it ha the minimalist approach and also that added safety feature.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about doing my own porting and tuning but i figure Im capable of doing it and actually am looking forward to doing this.

I'm actually more concerned about the porting since one slip up can cause a trashed head but i figure I won't be touching the bowl of the head and just be port matching the intake system and cleaning up the rough edges on the exhaust tract.

TK-421

Get some blue dyekem and a scribe, scribe lines around the gasket holes and just take your time and open up the ports to the scribed lines. Because your only gasket matching you won't really trash the head, it would be easier to mess up if you were doing the valve seats and the combustion chamber

Get some blue dyekem and a scribe, scribe lines around the gasket holes and just take your time and open up the ports to the scribed lines. Because your only gasket matching you won't really trash the head, it would be easier to mess up if you were doing the valve seats and the combustion chamber

Thats my exact plan since im leaving the combustion chambers and valve seats to the pros but will most likely only be getting a good valve job done due to budget reasons. Since the car will be retuned the TGV delete will be another one of my projects along with porting the intake manifold.

So I'm considering this as a solution to my head issue.

Its $850 for port flow design to do a pocket port and a CNC valve job (radius style) here's a pic of what it would be.

59571ad7a3d8b5a4d5981c52be7a4e47.jpg

What do you guys think?

So I'm finally biting the bullet and will be sending my heads off to headgames motorworks to have the pocket port and complete valve job done with upgraded valves retainers and springs.

My question is more for the tuners do you think I'm going to be maxing out my stock 05 sti fuel injectors with the increased air flow or not.

I really don't want to drop even more money in to this build till I upgrade the turbo (when ever the fresh stock turbo bites the bullet) which is when I will do a top feed conversion with upgraded injectors but I deffinently don't want to run lean.

The new upgrades that will be done at this point will be the headwork, TGV delete, phenolic spacer, and the turbo Intake tube.

Any feedback will be apreciated and yes I know this will be an extremely odd build having a forged internal motor with headwork done while only running the stock turbo. The ideal is to get the max out of this turbo till it goes and then the turbo and fuel system upgrade will happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]?

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
If you truly want to get the most out of the stock turbo, what about adding a billet wheel or possibly even some methanol?

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I know i know i need to do it and do it one of these days since you guys are my prefered forum.

????

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

If you truly want to get the most out of the stock turbo, what about adding a billet wheel or possibly even some methanol?
I guess I should rephrase my original quote I want to run the turbo till it goes since it's a fresh replacement about 8k miles ago.

I'm hoping it lasts a few years and waiting to see what happens to the progression of turbos. Hopefully they will have hybrid electric and exhaust turbo that's afordable and has insane boost spool on normal vehicle voltage.

I'm just trying to keep this build on a budget but want the motor and headwork done proper so when spare cash cones along to play around with I'll upgrade turbo and fuel system.

Ofcourse after I buy my ruger ar556

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member