PORTED HEADS WITH A STOCK TURBO

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
$69. Comes with free hoodie, sticker, lanyard, entered into our shift knob giveaway, plus followed and posted on IG & FB. ?

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So I'm finally biting the bullet and will be sending my heads off to headgames motorworks to have the pocket port and complete valve job done with upgraded valves retainers and springs.

My question is more for the tuners do you think I'm going to be maxing out my stock 05 sti fuel injectors with the increased air flow or not.

I really don't want to drop even more money in to this build till I upgrade the turbo (when ever the fresh stock turbo bites the bullet) which is when I will do a top feed conversion with upgraded injectors but I deffinently don't want to run lean.

The new upgrades that will be done at this point will be the headwork, TGV delete, phenolic spacer, and the turbo Intake tube.

Any feedback will be apreciated and yes I know this will be an extremely odd build having a forged internal motor with headwork done while only running the stock turbo. The ideal is to get the max out of this turbo till it goes and then the turbo and fuel system upgrade will happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Even a simple stage 2 tune can max out the stock injectors. It is recommended you go bigger with your set up. If you ever plan to go E85, this will determine the size now. Just keep in mind that you want to pick the appropriate size injector. Don't just pick the largest one because race car. The resulting pulse width is important and can effect normal driving and idle. If you will never run E85 then some 750CC injectors will do nice for your setup and no need for top feeds. If E85 is in your future then 1000CC is the mark and you might as well doe the top feed conversion (though still not necessary). If your future goals are a bit more ambitious than that, then cross that bridge when you come to it.

Did you change your fuel pump also?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I was just thinking, I should also mention fuel pump and injectors. I see George beat me to it. :tup:

I was just thinking, I should also mention fuel pump and injectors. I see George beat me to it. :tup:

Even a simple stage 2 tune can max out the stock injectors. It is recommended you go bigger with your set up. If you ever plan to go E85, this will determine the size now. Just keep in mind that you want to pick the appropriate size injector. Don't just pick the largest one because race car. The resulting pulse width is important and can effect normal driving and idle. If you will never run E85 then some 750CC injectors will do nice for your setup and no need for top feeds. If E85 is in your future then 1000CC is the mark and you might as well doe the top feed conversion (though still not necessary). If your future goals are a bit more ambitious than that, then cross that bridge when you come to it.

Did you change your fuel pump also?
The vehicle is an 05 STI with forged internal engine, heads pocket ported with upgraded valves, springs, guides, retainers and 1 degree colder ngk plugs, Walbro fuel pump, mad dad catted dp (to prevent boost creep an issue I had), borla header, perrin dual tube cat back, an ignition amp, cold air intake, perrin turbo inlet tube, perrin FMIC (yes I know not recomended with stock turbo just tricked in to it when I first started car build in 06 by my tuner), Cobb V1 AP with street tuner software (but I plan on going open source tune).

I do have perrin fuel rails that I heard are a tuning nightmare so I won't be installing them as well.

The car isn't an auto cross car or drag car so I'm going for a daily driver that will be reliable and am prepping it for a larger turbo and fuel system for future upgrades.

When I upgrade turbo I will be going for the power goals of 370 to 430 whp range with quick spool.

E85 probably isn't in the future it will be pump 92 octane maybe do a bit higher octane map as well.

$69. Comes with free hoodie, sticker, lanyard, entered into our shift knob giveaway, plus followed and posted on IG & FB. ?

OK next payday if I have tge extra cash I'll do it and does this still come with the tune option from George?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
OK next payday if I have tge extra cash I'll do it and does this still come with the tune option from George?

Yes sir.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The vehicle is an 05 STI with forged internal engine, heads pocket ported with upgraded valves, springs, guides, retainers and 1 degree colder ngk plugs, Walbro fuel pump, mad dad catted dp (to prevent boost creep an issue I had), borla header, perrin dual tube cat back, an ignition amp, cold air intake, perrin turbo inlet tube, perrin FMIC (yes I know not recomended with stock turbo just tricked in to it when I first started car build in 06 by my tuner), Cobb V1 AP with street tuner software (but I plan on going open source tune).

I do have perrin fuel rails that I heard are a tuning nightmare so I won't be installing them as well.

The car isn't an auto cross car or drag car so I'm going for a daily driver that will be reliable and am prepping it for a larger turbo and fuel system for future upgrades.

When I upgrade turbo I will be going for the power goals of 370 to 430 whp range with quick spool.

E85 probably isn't in the future it will be pump 92 octane maybe do a bit higher octane map as well.

Hmmm... Maybe some 850cc then.

Your goal of 370 is achievable on a stock turbo but only with 93 and possibly meth or e85 and at sea level. It is going to be difficult to reach your 430 goal because of the gas you have available and that is even with a larger turbo, but it is not impossible. Your on the right path though... The front mount is not going to be very conducive to your goal or for drivability unless you couple it with a very large turbo like a GT30R or better. As for having quick spool, you can throw that out the window for just about anything larger than an 18G turbo. Nothing is going to spool like the stock turbo, but of all of the large turbos out there to get you to your goal, I believe the GT30R to be a quick spooler for what it is.

As mentioned, you might consider meth injection as an alternative to help close the gap with fuel since E85 is not available. Also consider selling the front mount and go back to a good after market top mount like ETS. For a turbo upgrade I certainly would not go with anything bigger than a GT30R or a Dom 3.0. For your goals you could easily achieve that with a 20G and meth and if you get a Blouch 20GXT, it is not a bad spooler either.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
^ Great advice. Especially on turbo selection which is both a science and an art. FWIW, I have a GT3071 and it spools quite nicely.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah that is one of my favorites!. My Dom 3 doesn't seem to spool like it use to. I think it's on it's way out. The car blows a huge cloud of smoke just once in the morning every month or so and we boiled it down to the turbo hot side.

Yes I know about the FMIC being a stupid choice with stock turbo but the bumper already has been cut and I already have it so I'll run it till I upgrade turbos. At this moment I just want my car to be a reliable daily driver and since I live in the desert I figure the FMIC will help the intake temp on the hot days.

Like I said the previous tuner convinced me to go FMIC in 06 when I first had the car pro tuned and I went with his advice.

The gt30 or efr is what I've had my eye on for some time but I'm playing the waiting game to see what the turbo companies come up with in the next few years. Hopefully this audi electri turbo gets borg warner or garret making some hybrid electric exhaust turbos that produce good numbers and spool. Worst case scenario when turbo goes out I'll go with a gt30x or efr when stock turbo bites the bullet.

Last edited:
So I've got a friend that's going to hook me up on a good deal on wrx top feed tgv, fuel rails and fpr.

I guess I'll be switching to top feed injectors and buying some ID1000s so I have the safety and room to grow with tge ID1000s when I upgrade turbo or if e85 pumps become more plentiful.

Not to mention it will be easier to sneak in the larger turbo under the wife's radar since the injector cost will be taken care of.

PS does anybody know if I need to use a different FPR since my vehicle is an 05 sti and these fuel rails are off of an 02 wrx?

Need some feedback do you guys think this will be a good rotary tool to do a tgv delete and intake manifold porting and gasket match.

08a93d1d0ae269722a6f1b078a5e20e0.jpg

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It looks like it will do the job... I did mine once with a simple Dremel tool :tup: I would imagine it might take longer to do though. My friend does them with an air tool and bur bits and he goes through them like butter.

It looks like it will do the job... I did mine once with a simple Dremel tool :tup: I would imagine it might take longer to do though. My friend does them with an air tool and bur bits and he goes through them like butter.
I'm thinking this with a set of bur bits and a some sanding drums should do the trick. If anything I might have to make buy a rheostat or make one with a dimmer switch so I can control the RPM.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That would probably do the trick :tup:

I'm thinking this with a set of bur bits and a some sanding drums should do the trick. If anything I might have to make buy a rheostat or make one with a dimmer switch so I can control the RPM.