New Member/2008 STI Checkin in

ximpulse

Just wanted to say what's up. Been on NASIOC for 6 months or so but the immaturity level over there is REDONKULOUS! Not to mention the vast majority of people over there own either:
a) a 2.0 impreza
b) an RS
c) a forester/outback
d) no subaru at all --- WTF?!?! RIGHT?!?

And so since I am out to learn as much as possible about my car, I decided a forum dedicated to STI owners would better suit me. Hopefully.

About me and my car:
Me: I'm a 25 year old service member who enjoys fast rally cars. What else could you want?
My car: 2008 STI w/ the following
Braking:
DBA Slotted Street Series Rotors Front and Rear
HAWK HPS Pads Front and Rear
PERRIN Master Cylinder Brace (installing this weekend)
Boost:
Hallman Pro RX MBC
PERRIN EBSC Cover
Engine:
PERRIN Turbo Heat Shield
PERRIN Radiator Shroud
PERRIN Pulley Cover
PERRIN Radiator Stays
Drivetrain:
Group N Tranny Mount
TiC Crossmember Bushings
TiC Pivot Bushings
TiC Shift Linkage Bushings
Kartboy Short Throw Shifter
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushing
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing
COBB Shift Knob
Suspension:
Whiteline 24mm Front Sway Bar
Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar
RalliTek Front and Rear Endlinks
Whiteline Lower Control Arm Brace
PERRIN Super Steer (yet to install... got lost in one of my many boxes after the move)
Tuning:
COBB AP
Protune @ EQ Tuning in Fairfield, CA
Exhaust:
PERRIN Uppipe
PERRIN Downpipe
PERRIN Equal Length Headers
PERRIN Catback Exhaust w/ Polyurethane Hangers
Gauges:
Smy Gauge Cluster
Defi Red Racer Series Boost and Oil Pressure Gauges
Mishimoto Sandwich Adaptor
Intake:
AEM CAI
PERRIN Turbo Inlet Hose
Fuel Pump:
Walbro 255LPH

All installed everything listed except the inlet hose and fuel pump simply because I hadn't had time and I was already at my tuners so I paid him to do so so that everything I owned was installed for the tune.

Also, I'm going to be throwing some carbon fiber on my dash in a week or two when the order comes in. If the site is lacking in regards to some good cf pics, I'll toss a how to/cool pic thread up. :D

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome! I love carbon fiber...also pics! Let's see the how-to, and some current pics of your car!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Welcome. Lurked around on NABISCO back in '08. Never joind cause it seemed too much like a little girls slumber party. OMG babies, dramas mommas.
You'll like it here. Enjoy!

ximpulse

Welcome! I love carbon fiber...also pics! Let's see the how-to, and some current pics of your car!

I tried for like 15 minutes. Photobucket is being broken... as usual. Once it works again, I'll toss em up. Exterior is bone stock. As much as I would like to get all flashy and throw up tint and rims and what not, I live in CA. Getting my hood popped = horrible day.

ximpulse

Welcome. Lurked around on NABISCO back in '08. Never joind cause it seemed too much like a little girls slumber party. OMG babies, dramas mommas.
You'll like it here. Enjoy!

I know what you mean. An off-topic thread can't even hold itself together without people crying like 8 year olds.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome. You'll love it here.

How do you like your DBA rotors and hawks pads? Much dust from them?

Also if you become a premium member sponsor will host your photos for you plus you'll get a free tshirt, sticker, live chat, plus much more. :)

ximpulse

Welcome. You'll love it here.

How do you like your DBA rotors and hawks pads? Much dust from them?

Also if you become a premium member sponsor will host your photos for you plus you'll get a free tshirt, sticker, live chat, plus much more. :)

I love them. I changed my stock rotors and pads out at the same time because I had worn the front pads down so badly that they had eaten up the rotors. Money issues at the time... I.e. a wife. So installing them together was a 100000% improvement. I've since put about 15000 miles on them and even the brakes still have life. Highly recommended.

Also, how do I become a premium member? I'm still getting used to this site... ><

ximpulse

Great I'm looking at getting them for my 04 STi. Thanks for the quick review.

Here is the link below for memberships. If you do become a sponsor I'll pm you for shirt size and full shipping address. :)

http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?273-Premium-Memberships

No problem. You won't be disappointed. But then again I've yet to try other aftermarket rotors/pads so I have nothing to compare them to.

And whats a "members garage" ? I'm considering dropping the $45...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

ximpulse

Actually I've got a really serious question... It's the real reason why I joined...

But before I do... Nice car CRZTRBO

Anyway... How do I put this... My STi has been infected with the "infamous" ring land issue... :supersadface:

Compression & Leakdown Test Results:
#1 - 147psi / 4% #2 - 131psi / 3%
#3 - 151psi / 9% #4 - 131psi / 3%

So needless to say things are a bit off...

Today just for shits and giggles I popped my oil cap and there was faint white smoke as well. I've been trying to check it ever few weeks to keep an eye on it but today felt a little worse than usual. It could also be me being a bit of a worry wart... Ever since I started working on my car I evaluate every sound it makes and if I don't like one, I crawl around my car like a camel spider looking to kill it.

So I'm going to start on an engine rebuild. Truth is though I can't find too much about them anywhere. I'd prefer to do it myself for the learning and all. I knew nothing about cars up until about 6 months ago when I went mod crazy and started doing all this research/work. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. The tuner I used wants about 7-11k for a full rebuild... And if that's the case I'd rather buy the parts, assemble them and have my friend tow it for a tune. Or even opensource it and try and do it myself. With any success I could just have him put some finishing touches on the tune.

SO... The one big question I have is... Couldn't I just switch out the pistons myself with CP forged ones? Wouldn't that fix things? I know there is something I'm missing here though...

Sorry this is probably in the wrong area now... Feel free to move it if it's an issue.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yes you could switch out the pistons and a few other parts and be golden, but what hp number are you shooting for?

ximpulse

Yes you could switch out the pistons and a few other parts and be golden, but what hp number are you shooting for?

In a perfect world I'd like to be at the 500whp mark. But that's probably at least a year or two down the road. Right now I'd just be content knowing my engine is safe. Maybe trying to get it to 325whp by end of next summer would be nice. I'm pretty much using 91oct pump gas. I'm considering moving to e85 but with the lack of pumps in CA I don't want my life to be dictated by which gas station I have to go to. My dyno had me at 285 whp with a conservative tune since the compression/leakdown test was conducted prior to the dyno. It was conducted on a mustang dyno for those who care.

So before I slap on a larger turbo, fmic or anything else, I want to strengthen my engine.

With the installation of the pistons and "a few other parts", should I retune? Or will reflashing my current tune suffice? How hard is it? What are these "other parts"? At this point I'm 99% sure my longblock is still good and I'd rather not wait too much longer for it to blow and then I'd be committed to replacing everything. So... What are your thoughts?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I would always retune after doing major engine work. Who did your tune?

ICY STi

This is always an option for you as well. With the STi stock ECU flash from the dealer they are set to work on 93 oct. Not trying to call you stupid or anything but the 91 oct can destroy these cars. The tuner I talk to up here in Alaska suggested going with an alcohol injection to help amp up the oct level to 93+ depending on how aggressive you run the alcohol/h2o mixture. Ring land failure occures up here all the time and that is what he has been doing to battle this issue. It exists in 07+ model STi's. That being said you want to make sure that you have a fail safe setup with the alcohol injection system you purchase.

http://coolingmist.com/pagedisplay.aspx?pid=cmgssystemxwrxsti

I am not a vendor nor am I an owner of this alcohol injection system...yet. This is the system my tuner mentioned and suggested. It's the one he runs and the one he swears by. Take it for what it is. I'm going to be getting this system but it might be the better part of a year before it gets installed. Hope this helps.

ximpulse

This is always an option for you as well. With the STi stock ECU flash from the dealer they are set to work on 93 oct. Not trying to call you stupid or anything but the 91 oct can destroy these cars. The tuner I talk to up here in Alaska suggested going with an alcohol injection to help amp up the oct level to 93+ depending on how aggressive you run the alcohol/h2o mixture. Ring land failure occures up here all the time and that is what he has been doing to battle this issue. It exists in 07+ model STi's. That being said you want to make sure that you have a fail safe setup with the alcohol injection system you purchase.

http://coolingmist.com/pagedisplay.aspx?pid=cmgssystemxwrxsti

I am not a vendor nor am I an owner of this alcohol injection system...yet. This is the system my tuner mentioned and suggested. It's the one he runs and the one he swears by. Take it for what it is. I'm going to be getting this system but it might be the better part of a year before it gets installed. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thoughts. I've considered going to a meth or alcohol/h2o. Although I've had the car at least cobb tuned for almost two years now. Whether or not I had the compression/ringland failure prior to buying the car will be unknown. And with the large amount of stuff I've done to the car, I'll be real lucky to get it covered by the stealership. Honestly, as good as an idea as it is... I'm probably just going to save every penny I can and just rebuild the engine the right way so that it can withstand a beating. Hopefully during the month of december that will be my major project.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thanks for the thoughts. I've considered going to a meth or alcohol/h2o. Although I've had the car at least cobb tuned for almost two years now. Whether or not I had the compression/ringland failure prior to buying the car will be unknown. And with the large amount of stuff I've done to the car, I'll be real lucky to get it covered by the stealership. Honestly, as good as an idea as it is... I'm probably just going to save every penny I can and just rebuild the engine the right way so that it can withstand a beating. Hopefully during the month of december that will be my major project.

I'm glad you said this... Though just dropping in a new set of pistons can work, they will never be matched to the cylinder properly and you will inevitably get piston slap and it will not be reliable because the oil viscosity will be incompatible with the pistons versus the stock tolerance bearings else where.

My advice to you would be to get yourself a spare used block in good condition and one that has never been bored or honed and the cylinder walls in good shape. They can be had for a mere $300. you just need to look around. Then buy yourself some rods and one size larger pistons and befriend a local machinist Have him torque plate bore and hone the cylinders to match the pistons and you will have a solid foundation for making reliable power.

Some other suggestions I have are to have him pin the block to strengthen and support the cylinders. This also helps to stiffen the block. Don't sleeve the block unless you plan on making extreme HP and boost. Buy bearings with extra oil clearance to allow the proper oil flow and cooling and this also matches your bearing tolerances to the piston clearance so the thicker oil you now have to use is the right oil for booth. That is a mistake most usually makes and they end up spinning bearings.

IMAG0182.jpg

If you have trouble finding a machinist that will do all of this I have one that is local to me that gives me machinists prices... and I can pass that same price on to you. You would just have to get the parts to him and pay shipping back :tup:.

Hell if you send me everything... Block, Pistons, Rods and Crank... I can even assemble it for you... The right way!