New to forum - introducing myself

Cat in Hat

I live in South Africa and own a 2006 STI.
My car is a major part of my life in that I spend all my spare time fiddling and tweaking trying to squeeze every ounce of performance from it.
I take part in a lot of driving events that our club (Subaru Owners Club South Africa) host and also many other amateur races like Track days, gymkhana, skid pan, time attack and the occasional rally.
The car is fully maintained by myself and tuned by others, which I am trying to rectify at the moment by trying to learn how to tune.
Although the car is a 2006 hawk eye it is no longer a 2.5l engine, I kept blowing head gaskets so decided to take a step backwards and fit a 2l (spec C) engine. I have never looked back ;). The car makes a reliable 200Wkw and is still a pleasure to drive on public roads although it is no longer a daily driver.
wayne1.jpgwayne10.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the team. How did you hear about us?

Cat in Hat

Thanks. A google search on Ethanol led me to your forum.
In my quest to learn how to tune I am trying to fully understand the effects of ethanol.
I use E50 which we mix ourselves because no E is available at our pumps.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
If you become a premium member sponsor you'll get access to our premium members forum that has a huge tuning guide. Plus you'll get a free tshirt, sticker, live chat, plus so much more. :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nice - sounds like something to look forward to. What does one have to do to become a premium member sponsor?

Click the premium banner link at the top of the forum. :)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome. I'd love to hear more about what you've done to your car. Did you turn the fog light bezels into brake ducts?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
WELCOME!!!! First thing is first: WOW! I would like to see more information on your car. You should also upload more pictures for everyone's viewing pleasure! :tup:

Cat in Hat

Thanks for the welcome everybody. :)
There are many pictures and stories to tell about my car, but I guess this is not really the place to do it.
I will start a thread in the "garage" section where I can include info on my build with pictures and some videos of my car in action.

Grinder34 - Brake fade has been the biggest challenge for me and the fog light bezel ducts (in the picture) were another unsuccessful attempt at cooling the brakes. My latest mod has been to fit some home made NACA ducts in the same spot to help this. After basic testing I think some improvements will be seen...at last.
This is all in preparation for a rally coming up on the 9th and 10th of November.

Cat in Hat

I see that a garage is not available to me yet so I'll add a bit more info on my car here: :)
MY 2006 STI - WRB
Engine - 2l block stroked to 2.2l
Turbo - VF37 twinscroll
Headers - OEM equal length
Spec C heads
750 cc injectors
HKS fuel pressure regulator
custom air intake
Autronic engine management
195 Kw at the wheels.

Suspension:
KW club sport coli overs
Whiteline sway bars, end links, anti lift kit, roll centre adjustment kit.

significant weight reduction but not totally stripped out.

Brakes - OEM calipers, DBA rotors, Performance friction pads, braided fluid lines, performance friction 660 fuid.
Custom cooling system.

A few pictures - at an Auto X , on the skid pan , at the race track

View attachment 3497View attachment 3498View attachment 3499
Also a few video links : A short auto X at a shopping centre parking lot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccwgAH6lpY
some footage from our Gymkhana series - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8YJg8yiEcs
Onboard video from last years All Tar Rally - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8LGgN_g4wA&feature=plcp

T
his rally was my (and my navigators) first proper rally event, the poor guy got motion sickness on the very first lap of the first stage and didn't get a chance to recover for the remaining 6 stages on the day.

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Twinscroll huh? Is that standard on SA STIs?

I'm very interested in some of your custom stuff. Particularly the air intake and the brake ducts? For brake ducts, did you ever give the Roo Ducts a shot, combined with the Quantum backing plates?

Cat in Hat

In South Africa we get the Australian spec cars, twinscroll is not standard at all. I bought the engine from an old rally car that was originally a spec C.
My car is probably 1 of 4 twinscroll cars in the country.
I use the Roo Ducts with a customised dust cover plate that directs the ducted air to the centre of the brake rotor. The problem is that the intakes (fog light bezel) we not effective.
I did some testing with streaky paint and found that air was passing straight across the front of the intakes but not going into them, hence changing the intakes to NACA style ducts. Hopefully they will draw-in some of the air passing across the front of the intake mouth.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Wow, man. You've really done it up right! Impressive for sure :) Please feel free to chime in or shout out if you need any assistance on anything at all. Some crazy minds in this place. :)

Cat in Hat

Haha...Small world.
Spent some time at WRC then?;)
I have tried to work out who you are but I can't be sure. Your car does not look familiar and your user name is not one we see on the local forums.
Anyhow - my name is Wayne, pleased to meet a fellow Jozi Scoobster here.