New(used) STi, Major Maintenance Questions, Weird CEL and well, even datalog fun!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Bubba:

The problem I was having is similar to yours. After I went stage II I was getting a really rough idle and an "emissions leak detected error" I checked for leaks and replaced the CAI I was getting and with a short ram and still no luck. My A/F Correction was really bad at idle, almost at 25 all the time while idle and sometimes while at highway speeds. I did some logging and it can be found somewhere in this thread.

Currently I'm throwing misfires on all my cylinders. Both times it came after I pushed her a little. I changed my spark plugs last Sunday to one-stop colder plugs b/c I was getting ready for a Protune but I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Currently Rek is being generous enough to send me a working MAF to trouble shoot that to see if that is the root of the problem right now. The bad idling seems a lot worse now after I changed the spark plugs.

I hope this helps! I haven't visited the other site but the guys here have been beyond helpful!

This sounds all to familiar to me... You can wait for the MAF but I suspect it will not do anything but it won't hurt to try. Your next course of action is a compression test. I recommend you take it to Cobb at this point if the MAF does not work for you.

SirMyztiq

This sounds all to familiar to me... You can wait for the MAF but I suspect it will not do anything but it won't hurt to try. Your next course of action is a compression test. I recommend you take it to Cobb at this point if the MAF does not work for you.

I have a feeling you are withholding terrible news from me! LOL

The misfires went away, they came on only when I tried to push her a bit. I'm currently throwing the "emissions leak" CEL. I have made an appointment with COBB for next Wednesday. I took her over yesterday night b/c I was looking for a bracket for the short ram and I mentioned what was happening. Within ten seconds of looking around he found a tear on the hose connecting to the turbo. It was a pretty blatant tear and I have no idea how I missed it. I do recall hearing hissing but since I'm no expert I couldn't tell it apart from the belt spinning. It is that huge hose under all the tiny hoses. Or "the cute little hoses" as my girlfriend called them. I believe its the hose that the intake is hooked up to. He said the hose itself could be 300 dollars itself and the labor another 400. I can see why since I would have to disassemble everything. I would do it myself but fuck that. If the hose is 300 bucks, I'll rather pay my 100 dollar deductible. He also noted my MAF missing a bolt and nut. One of the screw holes was STRIPPED and that was given to me like that when I bought it. So that might be another issue. I tried looking for those tiny flanged bolts but no luck whatsoever.

Would such a rip and/or a bad MAF cause misfires? Especially when going WOT?
At any rate, I decided to go ahead and make the appointment. I bought a high-mileage insurance on the car that is good for two years that covers just about everything. I was trying not to turn her over but it never occurred to me that COBB also fixes cars...like a mechanic shop! So I'm going to tell them to find everything and everything wrong with it! But I will still try the MAF once it gets here :(

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I told you so... :lol: The logs were telling me "Leak" and uuuuuuuuummm I also remember telling you NOT TO GO WOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately by going WOT with that leak, it was running very lean. And at WOT That is a very bad thing and it is possible you cracked a ring landing as a result. Hence the misfire codes. I have seen this to many times.

Let's see what Cobb finds. You may be lucky and it could just be the leak is making things to lean to create combustion which will also cause misfires. Please tell them to do a compression test. :tup:

I wish you the best of lucK!

SirMyztiq

I told you so... :lol: The logs were telling me "Leak" and uuuuuuuuummm I also remember telling you NOT TO GO WOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately by going WOT with that leak, it was running very lean. And at WOT That is a very bad thing and it is possible you cracked a ring landing as a result. Hence the misfire codes. I have seen this to many times.

Let's see what Cobb finds. You may be lucky and it could just be the leak is making things to lean to create combustion which will also cause misfires. Please tell them to do a compression test. :tup:

I wish you the best of lucK!

Well, I didn't exactly go WOT. I just gave her a little more gas ;) But it is what it is though. The misfires haven't comeback so hopefully is the latter of those scenarios. If I did crack a ring landing, then I guess my insurance is going to have a big bill coming their way. :D I will surely keep you guys posted. Thank you so much for everything. I have no idea how I missed that rip. I mean, it looks bad from up top, but there was no incense smoke being sucked in or any "air" that was escaping. Then again, it was my first leak test so I was pretty much a rookie going into his first Superbowl here.

And all you said was "I would also want some logs when you go WOT, but you weren't willing to try that at this point" So, that isn't exactly saying *NOT TO* . :)

What would you recommend I do? I can't NOT drive but I'm sure I can find a car to drive around. I know not to go boost or push her harder than she needs to. I also know that with a potential bad ring land I might have to check oil so I will check oil often. How would I know if it is a bad land?

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well, I didn't exactly go WOT. I just gave her a little more gas ;) But it is what it is though. The misfires haven't comeback so hopefully is the latter of those scenarios. If I did crack a ring landing, then I guess my insurance is going to have a big bill coming their way. :D I will surely keep you guys posted. Thank you so much for everything. I have no idea how I missed that rip. I mean, it looks bad from up top, but there was no incense smoke being sucked in or any "air" that was escaping. Then again, it was my first leak test so I was pretty much a rookie going into his first Superbowl here.

And all you said was "I would also want some logs when you go WOT, but you weren't willing to try that at this point" So, that isn't exactly saying *NOT TO* . :)

What would you recommend I do? I can't NOT drive but I'm sure I can find a car to drive around. I know not to go boost or push her harder than she needs to. I also know that with a potential bad ring land I might have to check oil so I will check oil often. How would I know if it is a bad land?

True... I stand corrected! I'm mostly playing with you anyway... :D as you explain it now I would certainly hope it is the latter of the scenarios as well. A compression test is the only way of testing for ring landings. You did everything as suggested and I commend you for your efforts but sometimes it takes a look from a second pair of eyes to find a problem. It happens to me all the time.:tup: I'm just glad you had the good sense to take it in to Cobb.

The good thing here is that we have a clearly defined reason for your issues and now you can take steps to fix it. I do think the best people to put your trust in now from this point forward is Cobb of Plano.

SirMyztiq

it does sound a lot like my issue... but im not throwing any emission leak codes... just the p0302 code... the p0304 and the p0171 code went away on theri own... the p0171 code was a weird one... it went away by the time the code scanner had re scanned the ecu... o_O anyway at this point i would say take it to a shop as well... maybe do a compression and leakdown on your own if you could and maybe a smoke test

I will make certain Cobb performs a compression test and a leak-down test. But I'm sure they are planning to do that anyways. What HolyCrap suggested might be what you are dealing with. A bad ring landing maybe? I know for certain that I might have a leak causing bad mixtures that don't allow for combustion. Which is why I threw all those misfire CELs. Or, I might have destroyed the land when I went WOT with a bad leak.

More to come once COBB takes a look at her.

SirMyztiq

So, just a quick update.

I just got back from COBB and they took a good look at her. They found a tear on the intercooler Y-pipe/hose/I'm not really sure what it's called. And they also found a tear on the intake hose that hooks up to the turbo. They are replacing that one with one called Avo which is supposed to be of better quality. They also found a leak in my Uppipe somewhere.

And of course, that extra warranty I bought for her doesn't cover hoses or exhaust work. Go figure.

So it is going to be a pretty penny. Almost 1500 total with parts and labor. I considered maybe doing the work myself but after reading some DIY's I think it is better to let them tackle that task. And not that I'm afraid and yes my manhood is slightly hurt, but I figured they are probably the best people to get it all hooked back up right, working and ready for me to install other goodies down the line. Especially since they are dealing with the uppipe leak. That is probably beyond my realm of technical know-how on how to fix that. I just want her healthy! So that is what happened. I will make sure to keep you guys updated to maybe bring this super long thread for circle! I appreciate all of y'alls help!

Thanks to HolyCrap and Rek for lending a helping hand. The APS CAI had a stripped hole where the screw goes in and could not be redrilled. So the Short Ram is going in there. The MAF also was stripped so when it comes in, that is going in there as hell. You guys are OK in my book. :tup:

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I'm glad we were able to steer you in the right direction :tup:

SirMyztiq

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I'm glad we were able to steer you in the right direction :tup:

Of course!

I mean, I'm a full fledged member and everything! You guys were beyond great help. I'm sure y'all could guide me in replacing all of that stuff but I'm pretty sick of the damn leak. I just want to get her back and tear through the streets. :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Of course!

I mean, I'm a full fledged member and everything! You guys were beyond great help. I'm sure y'all could guide me in replacing all of that stuff but I'm pretty sick of the damn leak. I just want to get her back and tear through the streets. :tup:

Thank you for your support!!!

I'm sure you'll be ripping the streets in no time :lol:

Last edited:

SirMyztiq

Good to hear she will be running soon. Have you got the MAF sensor yet?

It just did. I will slap it on as soon as I get her back from the shop. Thanks so much!

SirMyztiq

I should be getting her back today. The excitement is killing me!

I have been driving my old '98 Tahoe. I love her to death(close to 250K plus many memories) but I can't justify the gas. With the STi, I could more than justify.

SirMyztiq

No :(

They had a bit of trouble putting her back together. The tiny little hoses around the turbo inlet connection snapped I believe. So I was going to pick it up this morning but...after they put her back together, they monitored fuel again and it showed it was still running somewhat lean so they are going to run some more diagnostics. Hopefully it is something not so serious!

Update: Fuel corrections are still high. What else could it be?

Last edited:

SirMyztiq

Update: So after replacing the turbo inlet, y-pipe and fixing a downpipe leak the car still showed high fuel trims. So, they are going to go through a smoke test today to sniff out any small leaks that weren't noticeable at the beginning.

SirMyztiq

Another update: So after they did the smoke test, they found a leaky injector O-ring. And something else, something terrible...

A leaky intake manifold gasket. Whoever owned this car before did a shitty job of putting it back to stock! Luckily, intake manifolds and their gaskets are a covered part by that thief ass insurance I got that didn't cover the original work. I hope they make them pay for this one!!!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well it could be much worse. I'm am very happy you are getting this sorted out.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

SirMyztiq

Well it could be much worse. I'm am very happy you are getting this sorted out.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I'm happy to finally be getting her up to speed. I'm considering doing the work myself. I took the intake manifold off my old STi but that was years ago and I can't find that How-To anywhere. If it just the gaskets, I think I could save a hundred bucks for the deductible(or more if the insurance finds a way to not cover it) and replace them myself. With the Thanksgiving weekend coming up, I would definitely have time to do it. And if they didn't get a chance to call the insurance today, I would have to wait until Tuesday to have them start the work so I might be looking at another week considering they probably won't work Thanksgiving day. I haven't had my car in almost a week and if the major issues are fixed I think I can tackle the manifold. What do you guys think? Think it is a good idea? Or should I let them tackle it?

Last edited:

STimedic

Im doing my timing belt after winter. Gonna have a shop do it cuz I don't trust myself! Props to the guys who do it on their own though!

The first motor I ever timed was my swap motor and got it to within 1 tooth off my first attempt and perfection on the second. It may seem daunting, but it's easy if you have a large allen wrench for the driver' side intake cam. It takes a bit of finesse learned while doing it, but as long as you follow the directions in the manual, too easy.

SirMyztik, once you get her back to 100%, start figuring out what turbo you want (I recommend a TD06-20G, 8 or 10cm^2 hotside with either a 38mm or 44mm EWG respectively) and building around that with doing intake/exhaust and fuel system supporting upgrades first, then get the turbo last. I did mine that way and it worked out great! 3 yrs in the making and close to perfection so far. Then it'll be on to exterior upgrades and finishing off my suspension.

Last edited:

SirMyztiq

So after two days of grueling work, well, mostly my brother, we fixed everything. After I got the car back from COBB I was told that the intake manifold gaskets were leaking. Instead of paying more, I decided to take the task on myself. It wasn't, easy but luckily my brother is going to school for auto-tech and he got her running. No more leak and my fuel trims are as close to zero as ever!

Except, we are getting weird Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open Bank 2. What the heck is that? I know it has something to do with the TGV's and I'm leaning towards just getting rid of the code from researching it. It wasn't there last night but tonight it came back. It seems it is intermittent but not constant. I hope it isn't anything serious and it is an easy fix. Any ideas?