New(used) STi, Major Maintenance Questions, Weird CEL and well, even datalog fun!

jswansti

Someone can correct me if im wrong on any of the stuff im saying, its just what I've heard/ learned. Even if you port and polish everything I believe you still need to tune for the adjustments.

SirMyztiq

Do you mean what would I do to get 400whp before a pro tune? Or just in general?

Sti's are very picky about mods. There's not a whole lot you can do power wise before getting a tune. Going stage 2 with a cobb ap & turboback is about as far as you can go... Yes, you could put a new fuel pump in without worry, but for bigger injectors, a cai, bigger turbo, built engine, etc, you'll need a protune. This means gathering all the parts, then putting them on the car and getting a tune asap.

I haven't personally seen any cars with 400whp on a stock turbo. I think There would need to be some very extensive engine work if that's the case cuz a stock motor on stock turbo pushing 400whp is an eventual disaster if you were able to achieve it.

I wish I could help you out more. I mean, for all I know that was a total BS statement. The power of the internet.

I'm not trying to achieve 400whp, it would be nice though :D I know STis are super picky about what goes in them. Which is great b/c I love spoiling the women in my life! LOL

My question was more in general. I do plan on getting a Protune, but I wanted to figure out what else I can do to it before getting the tune. Getting it tuned with just a TBE seems kind of unnecessary. Now if I throw in maybe a FMIC, lightweight pulleys...I can't think of anything else to put on there. Hell, I'm not even sure a FMIC is necessary or even useful b/c I know of the lag it can cause. So, I was gauging for recommendations, boltons or other goodies that can help me get the most bang for my buck once I get a Protune.

jswansti

Gotcha, sorry my last reply wasn't that helpful then!

I wouldn't recommend a fmic for stock turbo per the reason you listed. You could get some grimmspeed goodies! They port n polish and heat coat stock parts and are a great upgrade imo for a stock turbo protune. If you want to go E85 or bigger turbo in the future you should do bigger injectors while you're at it. You could do an ewg setup, air oil separator, catch can.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Here's my opinion... for a protune to be worth the money and effort you need to be at least stage 2 and compliment that with a fuel pump. You can easily exceed your stock injectors capacity if you maintain the stock fuel pump on a stage 2 pro tune. I recommend the Deatschwerks 300lph pump. Ask any of our vendors they have them and you will get a good prices.

It is possible to get 400BHP from the stock turbo but not with out replacing the injectors and possibly using either e85 or meth but this is a tough sell unless you go with a larger turbo.

The protunes become really advantageous when you go bigger turbo, injectors, maf housing and fuel pump.

SirMyztiq

Excellent information. I'm going to take your advice and upgrade to the DWorks fuel pump. Just a quick question, when you say that injectors and TMIC are ok, do you mean as in upgrading those? Maybe getting some DWorks injectors and a bigger TMIC? Or do you mean keeping the stock injectors? Is that an option, to get better injectors to go along with a new fuel pump and bigger TMIC?

I'll probably wait until I replace my timing belt and finish all this maintenance to begin assembling the beast. It is getting close though so I really appreciate you guy's input.

jswansti

I think he meant you would be okay to upgrade the injectors and tmic. Doesn't the 05 Sti have topfeed injectors? If so you should upgrade to at least 1000cc if your gonna upgrade them. That gives you room to do future mods without topping out your idc. And yeah you can upgrade the tmic to a bigger one, I know perrin and spearco both make one that fit stock location.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Upgrading your injectors and top mount are an option only at this point if you are staying with the current turbo and Stage two. They are not needed for that. Only if you are switching to E85 or upgrading your turbo will you need those. Just putting that out there. :tup:

Vermont

Excellent information. I'm going to take your advice and upgrade to the DWorks fuel pump. Just a quick question, when you say that injectors and TMIC are ok, do you mean as in upgrading those? Maybe getting some DWorks injectors and a bigger TMIC? Or do you mean keeping the stock injectors? Is that an option, to get better injectors to go along with a new fuel pump and bigger TMIC?

I'll probably wait until I replace my timing belt and finish all this maintenance to begin assembling the beast. It is getting close though so I really appreciate you guy's input.

Fuel pump is a great idea. Helped me out a lot. If you plan on sticking with a stock location turbo in the future you can invest in some other nice exhaust mods as well before your tune. Grimmspeed up-pipe and ewg kit is rather cheap. You could either dump to atmosphere or rout it back into the down pipe. A set of lite speed headers as well would help. These are both cheep mods and will help with any future stock location turbo. Honestly you do not need a new TMIC unless you upgrade turbos. I would say save up for larger turbo and injectors.

SirMyztiq

Awesome: So in summary, injectors and TMIC are good for now unless I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger turbo. In order to setup for such an upgrade a good up-pipe(or a EWG kit, that Grimmspeed Ceramic coated 38mm EWG one looks sweeeeeeeeeet) can come up handy as well as a set of headers. This will allow for flexibility in the future without jeopardizing overall health of other stock engine parts.

A fuel-pump will also be of big advantage. I was thinking of the Walbro 255 but since HolyCrap recommended the DWorks 300 I'll look into that one as well. I'm going to assume the DWorks 300 allows for more flexibility in terms of potential?

So potential mods:
1.) EWG Kit
2.) Headers
3.)Fuel Pump
4.)Air/Oil Separator

Thanks so much for your input guys. Keep the ideas coming!

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm sorry you reached your limit of questions. You must become a premium member for anymore questions asked, lol. Just kidding.

Go with the DW300!

Vermont

DW or Walboro, headers and uppipe (I like Invidia or if you want a EWG Grimm speed cross pipe and collectors and choose your uppipe and EWG but you will need the wastegate on the turbo welded shut), Larger TMIC (I like APS or Turbo XS), 3 Port boost controller or MBC, TGV Deletes (APS has a set if you can find them, some companies do this as a service and I can do it here at my house), a good hardened inlet is good too (APS or the new Perrin one) and youll be pretty good at that point!

I have the 38mm EWG kit from Grimmspeed on my STI right now. Couldn't me more happy with it man. If you do that spend the extra 100 bucks and pick up their 3-port EBCS. I love mine.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
GrimmSpeed sells an nice bracket that closes the waste gate for those looking to maintain the stock turbo integrity in the event they want to upgrade to a larger turbo later and then sell the stock turbo in tact. They work pretty good and they are cheap.

SirMyztiq

Wow, I definitely spent the last two hours at work just fantasizing about how she is going to purr when all is said and done!

I guess there are somethings I overlooked, like gauges and controllers! It all sounds so fun!
I've seen the DIY for the TGV deletes. I think that is something I can tackle here at my house also. The only thing I have on that list is the APS 65MM CAI which has to come off due to difficulties at the moment! The more I dig in the more I learn. I think the details is what I tend to ignore. Kind of like how I almost changed my injectors without relieving pressure first. I like this list, probably the more collected amount of information I have seen in one thread. You guys are some knowledgeable people! Keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

I actually have tried to become a paid sponsor but Paypal and me are at odds over some crap my brother didn't pay for. Never let someone use your Paypal account :/ Is there any other way to join besides Paypal?

SirMyztiq

What do you mean "crosspipe and collectors"? I know what a crosspipe is, but collectors?

Edit: I thought crosspipes were a complete waste. Many go to the PnP work instead. What are your views on this? I currently have the COBB DP and Greddy Evo2 exhaust. I had a Tanabe TBE (blue-tip) on my old car but it was always Stage II. Do you think the COBB DP provides enough or should I go with something better?

Edit 2: Upon further research. I learned a lot while doing so. I had no idea what the difference between exhaust manifolds and headers were until I looked it up. So it would make sense that if I get headers that I get a Hi-Flow crosspipe. Am I right or way off?...On second note, now I'm way confused. Invidia has headers with a built in uppipe. So, I'm guessing you meant that if I want a EWG setup I can't get headers?

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Wow, I definitely spent the last two hours at work just fantasizing about how she is going to purr when all is said and done!

I guess there are somethings I overlooked, like gauges and controllers! It all sounds so fun!
I've seen the DIY for the TGV deletes. I think that is something I can tackle here at my house also. The only thing I have on that list is the APS 65MM CAI which has to come off due to difficulties at the moment! The more I dig in the more I learn. I think the details is what I tend to ignore. Kind of like how I almost changed my injectors without relieving pressure first. I like this list, probably the more collected amount of information I have seen in one thread. You guys are some knowledgeable people! Keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

I actually have tried to become a paid sponsor but Paypal and me are at odds over some crap my brother didn't pay for. Never let someone use your Paypal account :/ Is there any other way to join besides Paypal?

Wide band AFR gauge should be the first gauge on your list!

For some reason your intake looks bigger than 65mm. 65mm is stock size and you really shouldn't have fuel trims like you have with that so it still might not be the intake that is the problem... We will know soon enough though and if worse comes to worse there are still other things we can try. I just want to rule out the intake first.

Let us know the moment that arrives and is installed :tup:

SirMyztiq

Nope their are not and the collectors are what bolts to the heads on the exhaust manifold

Yup, just saw that. So would I be able to get the Grimmspeed UPP with headers? I'm confused as to how this all ties together. This is probably as far as my mechanical know how of engines go.

SirMyztiq

Wide band AFR gauge should be the first gauge on your list!

For some reason your intake looks bigger than 65mm. 65mm is stock size and you really shouldn't have fuel trims like you have with that so it still might not be the intake that is the problem... We will know soon enough though and if worse comes to worse there are still other things we can try. I just want to rule out the intake first.

Let us know the moment that arrives and is installed :tup:

Wide Band AFR Gauge is on that short list!

I know! The first thing I checked was the size. It can be found inside the intake where it connects to the inlet. It is the same one I ran when I had my other STi and never had such fuel-trim problems. I know that they make a 70MM one that NEEDS a tune so that was the first thing I checked. Maybe I missed the leak but I tried every trick on the book and came up with nothing.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have a hunch... While it is idling, unplug the front O2 sensor and see if it smooths out. The plug can be found on the passenger side strut tower near the boost control solenoid.

This will force the car into open loop fueling. You will throw a code as a result but I want to see how the car behaves with out the O2 Sensor.

SirMyztiq

I have a hunch... While it is idling, unplug the front O2 sensor and see if it smooths out. The plug can be found on the passenger side strut tower near the boost control solenoid.

This will force the car into open loop fueling. You will throw a code as a result but I want to see how the car behaves with out the O2 Sensor.

I will try this right...now! Do you mean on the engine or under the car?

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It's in the engine compartment on the passenger side strut tower. You will see some connectors. It is a gray connector. If you are unsure it will be the one that leads down to the header on the passenger side. The wire is usually covered in blue sheathing.