New(used) STi, Major Maintenance Questions, Weird CEL and well, even datalog fun!

SirMyztiq

What the fuck is going on with the forum today... I must have answered this three times today and none of my responses are showing.

Yes it is your intake. The aps is a bigger diameter and your MAF needs to be rescaled as a result. The Cobb intake I am sending you will take care of this issue. There is no sense getting tuned for the APS unless you are going to get a bigger turbo so I would just use the Cobb and go buy their cold air box to compliment it.

Yeah, WTF is up with that. I posted some posts through my phone and they never showed up. Then I answered what I thought was one of your posts and then your post was gone!

We will probably see a bunch of reposts pretty soon.

Edit: My spark plugs came in so I'm going to be replacing those today! Should I go ahead and slap on the new injectors? Yeah...I think so.

Thanks for your help in all this guys. Once I confirm that the intake is too blame, everything will be right as rain.

Edit: I got the spark plugs in. I'm going to exchange the injectors too since I'm at it. Here is a video of the pulleys and the engine again at daylight. They look pretty stock to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQUpX1o4ZAg

Last edited:

SirMyztiq

SirMyztiq

I will snap some pictures for you today. I'm pretty sure they are stock, they look...like stock.

Quick question: when changing the injectors, is it really necessary to let the car run until it is out of gas?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I will snap some pictures for you today. I'm pretty sure they are stock, they look...like stock.

Quick question: when changing the injectors, is it really necessary to let the car run until it is out of gas?

No but you have to relieve the pressure in the fuel lines and to do that you need to unplug the fuel pump solenoid plug underneath the passenger side kick panel and then start the car and let it run till it stalls. You can remove the fuse for the fuel pump also but I don't know where that is.

If you don't do this the danger will be when you take the fuel injectors out, the fuel that is left in the rails will fall into the cylinder. If that happens you will wash the cylinder walls at the very least and if you don't remove the plugs and crank the engine till the gas is gone you will hydrolock the engine.

SirMyztiq

Thank God I picked up that cool looking business card at COBB Plano that lead me to these forums!

SirMyztiq

No but you have to relieve the pressure in the fuel lines and to do that you need to unplug the fuel pump solenoid plug underneath the passenger side kick panel and then start the car and let it run till it stalls. You can remove the fuse for the fuel pump also but I don't know where that is.

If you don't do this the danger will be when you take the fuel injectors out, the fuel that is left in the rails will fall into the cylinder. If that happens you will wash the cylinder walls at the very least and if you don't remove the plugs and crank the engine till the gas is gone you will hydrolock the engine.

Thank you for the info. I was about to start doing this without releasing the pressure first!

How long does it usually take for the car to stall out after disconnecting the solenoid?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank God I picked up that cool looking business card at COBB Plano that lead me to these forums!

If it ever comes down to it Cobb is the place to take your car should you need the services of a professional. Them I trust. :tup:

SirMyztiq

Never mind...like a dumbass I unplugged the wrong green connector. I unplugged the tiny green one instead of the big green one at the back. SMH!

SirMyztiq

Did that do it?

It did...not I can't get the first injector off. I stripped the god damn torx screw!! I took off the other injector just fine(driver's side) but this other one is stripped now! Fuck!!!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That happened to me once... I had to use a pair of vice grips. There should be enough of the screw head exposed enough to get the pliers around. one other choice is to get a thin dremel wheel and cut a slot in the screw head.

SirMyztiq

That happened to me once... I had to use a pair of vice grips. There should be enough of the screw head exposed enough to get the pliers around. one other choice is to get a thin dremel wheel and cut a slot in the screw head.

Good ideas. I didn't do the injectors yesterday like I had planned b/c of it. I did do the spark plugs and the car feels a bit more responsive.

SirMyztiq

Hows the car doing over all now?

I changed the plugs but not the injectors. I took her out for a spin and she is still having the bad idling problems. Hopefully the intake will solve those woes soon!

SirMyztiq

Awesome! And thank you for the tips about dealing with the stripped screw from hell!

SirMyztiq

So while I play the waiting game for the intake, I'm looking at a fuel pump b/c I'm replacing the fuel filter and I think this would be a nice and cheap upgrade. I have started thinking about potential mods to improve performance before my first tune. The farthest I've gotten was Stage II so after that it gets a little iffy.

What would be some mods to do to the car that take advantage of the stock turbo? I've read you can get almost 400WHP out of the stock turbo but the mods to achieve that are nowhere to be found. If you guys had to start from scratch, what would you do next before spending money on a Protune?

jswansti

Do you mean what would I do to get 400whp before a pro tune? Or just in general?

Sti's are very picky about mods. There's not a whole lot you can do power wise before getting a tune. Going stage 2 with a cobb ap & turboback is about as far as you can go... Yes, you could put a new fuel pump in without worry, but for bigger injectors, a cai, bigger turbo, built engine, etc, you'll need a protune. This means gathering all the parts, then putting them on the car and getting a tune asap.

I haven't personally seen any cars with 400whp on a stock turbo. I think There would need to be some very extensive engine work if that's the case cuz a stock motor on stock turbo pushing 400whp is an eventual disaster if you were able to achieve it.