OT: Count To A Million Game!

602ad448529e42d9789248b84dbe5f2b.jpg

EJ powered VW beach cruiser.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
6642 - There's always some kind of gears turning inside my head. That shaved/tucked engine bay pic posted a few days ago with the top mount air intake has me thinking. Awfully curious as to whether I could build something and rig it all up myself. Meanwhile, I have 1,000,000 other higher priority things to get done, but I can't help it...the gears are already turning.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
6643 hey send those gears my way [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] im currently looking into doing this design but im trying to figure out the best way to prevent water from getting in. the problem is there isnt much room between that and the hoodscoop.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
6644 - I've heard people talk about building a spring loaded flapper, actuated by a cable that is routed through the firewall to the driver, that can be pulled and will block off the hood scoop. There would still be enough air getting into the filter to run properly, though I don't think I'd try to run the car hard with the flapper closed.

Probably the best way would be in the routing of the piping to the intake. You'd have to build a drain trap looking section, or at very least, have the pipe approach your filter from the bottom, seeing how water is not going to readily travel upwards and into the filter. If it did, it would be such negligible amounts that it wouldn't matter. With the drain trap approach, I have seen people drill a small hole in the bottom of the trap, attach tubing and run it to the firewall behind the passenger side wheel so that any water that accumulates in the trap drains out. You're not going to get any kind of ram air effect from an intake like this, just a supply of cool air, so it's not like a drain hole is going to defeat the purpose or anything.

6644 - I've heard people talk about building a spring loaded flapper, actuated by a cable that is routed through the firewall to the driver, that can be pulled and will block off the hood scoop. There would still be enough air getting into the filter to run properly, though I don't think I'd try to run the car hard with the flapper closed.

Probably the best way would be in the routing of the piping to the intake. You'd have to build a drain trap looking section, or at very least, have the pipe approach your filter from the bottom, seeing how water is not going to readily travel upwards and into the filter. If it did, it would be such negligible amounts that it wouldn't matter. With the drain trap approach, I have seen people drill a small hole in the bottom of the trap, attach tubing and run it to the firewall behind the passenger side wheel so that any water that accumulates in the trap drains out. You're not going to get any kind of ram air effect from an intake like this, just a supply of cool air, so it's not like a drain hole is going to defeat the purpose or anything.

6645 - I've considered that as well but when you look at the pic closely you will see that the ac compressor is removed on that set up allowing the turbo to have the direct path to the hood scoop. I'm sure we can figure something out though. I'm actually considering getting larger phenolic spacers now since I plan on this in the future as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
6646 - I hadn't really looked at it that closely because the turbo on that build is drastically rotated. I've got a stock location turbo and a front mount with rather large tubing, so if I were to pursue this, my setup would be considerably different and require a ton of ghetto-rigging.

Last edited:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
6645 - I've considered that as well but when you look at the pic closely you will see that the ac compressor is removed on that set up allowing the turbo to have the direct path to the hood scoop. I'm sure we can figure something out though. I'm actually considering getting larger phenolic spacers now since I plan on this in the future as well.

6647 it looks like the a/c compressor was removed to mount the alternator there to allow the IC piping to mount directly to the manifold.

compressor is on the driver side (at least on my car).. its the power steering pump that's on the passenger side and it looks to be in its factory location if not a little further down

Last edited by a moderator:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
6648 - Even though chances are slim that I'd do something like this, I'm so ADD that there just has to be something crazy like this going on inside my head on a regular basis. I can never just think about nothing.

If that makes sense.

Drives me crazy sometimes and often makes it hard to fall asleep. I'm laying there counting sheep like "1...2...3...4 sheep....5...6...7...ball bearing turbos...8...9...10...I can't recall how scramjet engines operate, I should look that up again...11...12...13...I'd really like an M1A rifle someday...14...15...16....sonofabitch I can't sleep!!!"

Last edited:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
6648 - Even though chances are slim that I'd do something like this, I'm so ADD that there just has to be something crazy like this going on inside my head on a regular basis. I can never just think about nothing.

If that makes sense.

Drives me crazy sometimes and often makes it hard to fall asleep. I'm laying there counting sheep like "1...2...3...4 sheep....5...6...7...ball bearing turbos...8...9...10...I can't recall how scramjet engines operate, I should look that up again...11...12...13...I'd really like an M1A rifle someday...14...15...16....sonofabitch I can't sleep!!!"

6649 hahahahahahhaa dude im the same way!

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
6650 [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] do you think this scoop would do the trick enough? At least light driving in the rain

897859467c9742daa5466a045b9bdcc4.png

And thats all i have to say about that...

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
6651 - Mother of God! Where did you find one of those!?!?!?!?! It would probably allow a top mount intake to draw reasonably cool air, though I would highly recommend sealing the hood to the border of the intake with some heavy duty rubberized foam so you get a good seal. Then build a small duct to attach to the underside of the forward facing scoop and plumb it to the turbo heat shield to evacuate that heat.

Those ARC scoops are ridiculously difficult to find. I've managed to find only ONE for sale in the last 4-5 years of looking for them and the price tag was $450. Too much for me, so I had to pass.

If that makes sense.

6653 I'm the exact way so I know the pain and suffering especially with trying to go to sleep.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
6651 - Mother of God! Where did you find one of those!?!?!?!?! It would probably allow a top mount intake to draw reasonably cool air, though I would highly recommend sealing the hood to the border of the intake with some heavy duty rubberized foam so you get a good seal. Then build a small duct to attach to the underside of the forward facing scoop and plumb it to the turbo heat shield to evacuate that heat.

Those ARC scoops are ridiculously difficult to find. I've managed to find only ONE for sale in the last 4-5 years of looking for them and the price tag was $450. Too much for me, so I had to pass.

6654 havent found one yet dude but im gunna start looking now. i have a buddy that has connects with companies over in japan, hes going to ask around for me. im expecting a few hundred dollars but worth it in my opinion

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
6655 Those hood scoops definitely cost a VERY SHINY penny! :tard:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
6658 - Thank God it's Friday. I'd had about enough of this week by Wednesday.