P0171 - again and getting more frequent

Spamby

Meat Product Toy

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Hahahahaa okay. Got it.
I do think it might be your MAF though.

I kinda gave that feeling.
I dunno if its me but it seems the voltage does not increase fast enough as the turbo spools. Iirc from my last logs, I am seeing 4.10 v well past full spool, like 4200-4400 rpm. I would think I would see the higher voltages lower around 2900-3400 when the turbo is kicking serious spoolage and sucking in a lot of air

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Do you know anyone nearby with an STi? Idk how expensive a new MAF is, but I imagine it's not cheap. If you
could just swap MAFs and go for a spin, it might tell you something. You may not see an issue, but his vehicle
would probably throw a code if the MAF is actually bad. Then again, it would suck if you put your MAF is someone
else's car and he runs lean and blows his shit up.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
125 for a Denso so not too terrible.

Coworker with a Rex. Should be the same sensor. Dunno if he'd let me do it.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Maf sensor unplugged while car is running, slight bump then runs fine.
Plug the sensor back in while running, she dies immediately.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sounds like you got your answer.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Ok. Another weekend gone and still no answer until tonight.

I am tuned for E70. I just tested the fuel and its E80!

WTF to do now. Lol

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Ummm....fill up 80-90% of the way with that E80 and then top off with 93, then agitate :D LOL

I'm only half sure that's a good idea, but I think it would enrich your AFR slightly. Do you have
a wideband?

Any other mods help me out here? I'm going to say, if you need a richer mixture, add more 93;
leaner, more ethanol mix.

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Ummm....fill up 80-90% of the way with that E80 and then top off with 93, then agitate :D LOL

I'm only half sure that's a good idea, but I think it would enrich your AFR slightly. Do you have
a wideband?

Any other mods help me out here? I'm going to say, if you need a richer mixture, add more 93;
leaner, more ethanol mix.

I could blend but an going to have to figure out the ratio.
No AFR gauge only going off of the AP.
Cobb did the tune so I will call them tomorrow and catch their advice. Perhaps they can provide a new map via Email... Hell I dunno.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
In the short term, I'd throw some 93 in there. It can't hurt, at least until you can get a new tune.

...and of course, as usual, probably advisable to stay out of boost. Let me know what Cobb says,
I am very curious to find out.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
In the short term, I'd throw some 93 in there. It can't hurt, at least until you can get a new tune.

...and of course, as usual, probably advisable to stay out of boost. Let me know what Cobb says,
I am very curious to find out.

Full tank right now. Lol! Just fruckin filled up.

I do have a 91 map.

The shit part about this is that I was tuned the same time last year and the ethanol was at 70%. Still, no guarantees that they wouldnt change it.

Maybe it's just some minor tweaking they need to do? Will see and definitely report back.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Called Cobb. They are closed today. Will try again tomorrow.

Installed stock air box. No CEL since last week. Logs look better with it on. ECU doesn't seem to be dumping as much fuel but it still doesn't look right.

Didn't do an ECU reset since I put the box back on. Wondering if I should ?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Called Cobb. They are closed today. Will try again tomorrow.

Installed stock air box. No CEL since last week. Logs look better with it on. ECU doesn't seem to be dumping as much fuel but it still doesn't look right.

Didn't do an ECU reset since I put the box back on. Wondering if I should ?

Yes!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
No CEL since air box on.
Fuel trims look a bit weird still. Still hitting that lean spot and then going heavy rich. Noticing this lean to rich anomaly happens in the 2500-3000 ish range under lighter loads and cruising. Can feel the car slightly buck a bit.
I am starting to think this may be the notorious lean stumble.
Still haven't gotten a hold of Cobb yet. Been crazy busy at work. Will keep trying but it may just happen on Saturday.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Stock air box still on and pleased to report still no CEL. With the air box off, LTFT was at +25%. With the box on, LTFT was at +17.2%. These were under the highway light throttle cruise scenarios right in the 2500-3000 rpm range.

Today I added 2 feet of fuel hose for the lean stumble fix. I am pleased to report that the LTFT is now at +6.2% in the above scenarios. I am done.

Who knew that a foot or two more of hose was the ultimate fix?