PLEASE READ! NEED HELP

STIKC

2013 Subaru STI
Cobb SRI
Catback Exhaust (Straight Pipe / Resonator in mid pipe)

Brief Backstory:
At 5200 miles on the odometer I received a ring land failure in cylinder 3. Subaru broke down the engine and replaced the ring. It has been 7 months since then, about 1000-1500 miles on the car since the ring was replaced (I deployed).

How it started:

I installed my catless down pipe and put stage 2 cobb tune on my car. Noticed a couple days before the down pipe my car was smoking a little more than usual in the morning. But it was cold outside so really didn't think anything about it. Couple days after dp was installed I was filling up my car with gas and when I left I noticed I left the entire gas station smoke screened with white smoke (no oil smell). I immediately took the car to my buddies shop. We took stock top mount off and found 3-4oz of oil sitting inside, very low oil on the dip stick. We cleaned the bov, topped off the oil, and installed stock dp and took the car to subaru dealership. Was told "we couldn't find anything wrong with the car, no smoking issue and oil level is fine". I then did the following...

Stock tune - 2 days babing + 2 days normal driving (low boost) + 2 days harder driving (low boost most of the time, couple 50%-75% throttle pushing) = No loss of oil, no oil in turbo smart bov, no rough idle. Cold start I will have a small puff of blue smoke but thats it, very little visual smoke from then on... but it's cold outside so thats normal.

I put Stage 1 cobb tune on car and did 2 2nd gear pulls. I was hitting 15lbs boost with 18.2lbs boost target (map target is 18). Drove home and was letting it idle to cool down as I was texting a friend in front of my house. Noticed rough idling and took the following videos. I have 1/4-1/2 inch loss of oil on the dip stick. Oil shot out of my bov and blue smoke coming out of exhaust.

[video=facebook;10151908879330509]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151908879330509&set=p.10151908879330 509&type=2&theater[/video]

(If video doesn't load)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151908879330509&set=p.10151908879330 509&type=2&theater

[video=facebook;10151908878445509]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151908878445509&set=p.10151908878445 509&type=2&theater[/video]

(If video doesn't load)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151908878445509&set=p.10151908878445 509&type=2&theater

Conclusion:
I'm almost positive its turbo seal issue but thought I would "ask the audience".
No - I have not checked my oil level since I got the car back the dealership (idiot I know)
Yes - Day after I picked the car up from the dealership my fuel lines blew off and I had to reconnect them
Yes - My short ram was not put on all the way with the dealership, when we installed the dp we noticed it was put on but not tightened down with the clamp
Yes - I do not like this dealership and think their lack of brains caused this issue
Yes - The car sat for 6 months with very little driving done to it, so the lack of oil circulating might have did the final touches on the turbo going out
Yes - If the dealership actually pulls off not covering the turbo with the magnuson moss act in their face I'm going GTX3076R rotated turbo setup

Anybody have anything different they think it could be? This entire time I have been set on turbo seal. With cruise control on and the car hitting a small hill you can gill the car hesitate and kind of bog with power. When your in very low gears (coming from a stop) at times the car has a bog in power. It wasn't until the video with the very rough idling I got scared and thought maybe it's something other than the turbo.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I have very little to contribute, but white smoke is coolant, no?

STIKC

My friend was behind me and said he only saw white smoke. Every time I see the smoke it's white with a hint of blue. It's colder out so the white is just regular exhaust but the blue hint is oil. I think he just saw a lot of smoke and thought it was white only (non turbo guy).

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Did they do another compression test just to be sure their work didn't crap out?

STIKC

They said they checked everything and can't find a issue. I don't believe them so I'm going to a different dealership

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What tests did they say they did?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Sitting for 6 months can also dry out the lube in bearings and cylinder walls.... not just turbos.

I would demand another compression test to rule out the engine. Then work your way around to other things less major.

I dont have much to say as well, hope it works out for the best, I can say that blown turbo seals do consume oil. I'd go with JJ and perform a compression test ASAP, and post results. I'd also log if you can and have holy take a look at them. What were your oil change intervals on the new motor after the factory one busted @ 5200 miles?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
COMPRESSION TEST!!!

Compression testors are dirt cheap and the test is easy to perform yourself :tup:

Very sorry to here this has happened :(

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
As others have said, perform a compression test. To me though, this sounds like
a problem with the turbo. It could be the seals as some have mentioned, but your
write up sounds very similar to what was happening with some of the VF39 turbos
on the earlier STi models (04/05). The hotsides would crack around the wastegate
port and prevent you from hitting full boost. Depending on the crack, they can also
leak oil downstream into the exhaust or also into the intake side. I had a cracked
hotside on my factory turbo back in the day that prevented me from hitting my target
boost and a friend with an '05 had a crack that allowed a few ounces of oil to pool in
his stock TMIC. The cracks that can develop in the turbo are often incredibly difficult
to see with the naked eye and generally require the turbo to be removed to see them.

Any update to what the problem was?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Definitely. I too have been wondering what the other shops may have said. (If you've taken the car there already.)