popping from the rear..... haha

inferno19d

Ok, my first of many noobish questions. I am getting a popping sound from the era end of my 2011 sedan. I have look under and around the shocks, sway bar, end links, etc and can not see any obvious issues. I have upgraded the tear sway bar to a pertinent 22mm and have yet to upgrade the end like.ks, could this be the issue? Your input is greatly appreciated.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
When does it pop?

Vermont

Does it pop when it's hot? :D

On a more serious note, try and record the sound from inside the car and then from out side of the car. If you cant see anything that might be rubbing or hitting then one idea is too push down on the truck/stand on the bumper/trunk and jump up and down, thus putting load on the rear end. If anything this should get it too "pop" again so you can start to figure it out. First step is always replicating the problem.

I've got every noise you can think of coming from mine, first bushings, readjust end links...tighten...what do I know.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Strange, lol.

inferno19d

I have tried to replicate the sound while the car is stationary and I have not been able to. It does not make the sound when it is 95 plus in temp. It seems to do it more the cooler it is outside. I have pushed up and down on almost every inch of the car trying to see if the popping is coming from the shocks, struts or the mounts with no luck.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I have tried to replicate the sound while the car is stationary and I have not been able to. It does not make the sound when it is 95 plus in temp. It seems to do it more the cooler it is outside. I have pushed up and down on almost every inch of the car trying to see if the popping is coming from the shocks, struts or the mounts with no luck.

Try removing/unbolting the sways for a quick trip. This will make your car handle VERY differently, so dont push it. But if you still hear popping, it's not the swaybar.

inferno19d

I am going to put it up on a lift tomorrow and re-check the areas I modified and then go through the process of trying to trouble shoot the issue if i can not see anything... I was just looking for ideas of anything else it might be.

ZachTTLM

My car pops from the rear when I floor it then step on the clutch...:tard:

I agree with the others and checking the area's you've modified/ upgraded first.

Sounds like the common drivetrain clunk, upgrade bushings and use subframe bolt kit

Nope, pretty sure there are other factors to the clunking, clanging
Coming from the rear? Check to ensure proper clearance of the exhaust with the other components. That Perrin Exhaust has that collar that is used to hold the exhaust over, we have heard about these sliding letting the exhaust to interfere and clunk/clank.

To the Original Poster, When do you notice the noises? on turns, accelerations, braking or what?

inferno19d

The popping sounds from the rear end sound like they are echoing from the trunk... I have only upgraded a rear sway bar. The popping doesn't come from the up and down motion of the car, more of the side to side movement. So I am thinking it is the actual mounts or the end links. I had it up on a lift and could not see a damn thing wrong...