Projected numbers?

jswansti

Here is what I what i'm going to do to my car:
Cobb tbe, APS 65mm intake, DW 850cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, E85 & 91 protune.

I know that some things are up to the tuner when it comes to the safety of the tune, how much PSI, etc... But what do you guys think i'd be around for whp/ wtq? Also, i'm a mile high so I know that numbers will be a little lower than usual. :cry:

Edit: If this is in the wrong area feel free to move it, sorry!

ej2point0

really depends on the dyno too...
On most mustang dyno's here on the East Coast with those Mods on 93oct ~300awhp n ~320tq at 19ish psi.

WHose tuning it? Thats a good place to start.

jswansti

Ideally i'd run 1000cc but i want to avoid doing top feed conversion so i'm stuck with side feed 850's. Harvey at Boost Creep ltd in Longmont Co is doing the tune. He is very well known for his work and safe tuning. He has also done a lot of tunes for E85 on 850cc injectors so I think i might be alright...if only DW would put out there side feed 1000's; i'd be so happy!!

jswansti

Idea: Get an N/A manifold from an 07+ impreza. Top feed, bigger plenum. I picked one up for $95 shipped to my house. It needs to be ground down, and then some holes welded closed, but will be a nice upgrade as long as I'm not trying to stuff a TMIC in there.
THat is a pretty solid idea. I'll look into that and see what I come up with. THings are moving quicker than I expected and I might be able to get all this stuff actually done by the end of next month with the protune. I'm calling Harvey tomorrow to see what he says and check his schedule. He'll be installing the injectors and fuel pump along with the tune.

jswansti

Glad people on here actually listen :D The N/A manifold has been shown to flow about the same amount as those aftermarket manifolds that run around $1200. Also, the manifold will replace your need for TGVs, so it's like getting a topfeed conversion, tgv deletes, and a high flow manifold all at once. It'll cost a hundred or two to get someone else to modify it for you, but the price will still be much less than buying all the parts that this replaces. In fact, I have one sitting around here, I just need to get grinding on it.

That does sound like a pretty solid setup and its definitely cheaper than the other manifolds. While I was looking into that i came across this: http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/in...gory/154/injector-dynamics/id1000/subaru.html
Apparently Harvey actually helped develop these or something and runs it on his own subie and carries/installs them. For $50 more it might be the way I go now...

jswansti

ej2point0- those cars are sick! thanks for posting those.

fujiwara- thanks for the posts/pics/ help! really appreiate it.

jswansti

Talked with Harvey today and we're sticking with my original plans as they were the best to start! Who would've known! Going with the DW 850cc injectors which will save me quite a bit of money in parts/labor over the converison.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
There is one more option still.

Five0 sells 1000cc and 1200cc side feeds. I'm currently using the 1000cc and I have no issues. The only thing is you have to replace the connectors but that was so simple it is hardly worth mentioning.

Flow matched and tested, total was $360 for injectors and connectors. Then I sold my 740cc Deatschwerks for $175 making my actual total $185

CIMG0411.jpg

CIMG0454.jpg

Last edited:

RcmaSTI

From Colorado here also. Did your tuner recommend the CAI ? For GR's, I've read they make little or no difference until one gets a bigger snail. Maybe different on GD's ?
FWIW, I hear that Harvey has a Dyno Dynamics aka "the heartbreaker dyno" (same thing my tuner uses in Colo Springs). They are the most conservative of all the dynos out there. I made 242/271 (202/212 stock) on Stage 2 protuned (cobb catted dp, higher flow air filter, and cobb cbe @18 PSI) at 6000ft asl. The air is less dense in most parts of our state which is why we tend to make less power (uncorrected) than the sea level guys. Next for me is an E85 tune with DW850cc and Walbro or Bosch FP as well. Unless you plan to do something bigger than a 20g, 850cc is more than adequate. At WOT I cannot exceed 77% IDC with stock injectors, Stage 2; let alone 850's-again at this altitude. My home resides @7300ft asl.
Enough of my rambling. I am guessing 270/315 on my GR once I get my E85 tune in March. So I think you might come just shy of that 300 mark. Only my opinion and good luck!

3 & 3 is not unreasonable expectations for stage 2. You may run out of fuel on e85 with only 850cc injectors, so I cant give and exact #, but I've seen e85 stage 2 setups with large injectors hit 4 & 4

Not trying to start crap on an old post but no way in hell does any STI make 400/400 on E85 with the stock snail. Evo's barely push past 400/400 on the stock larger snail with E85.

If someone did mange 400 whp on the stock snail it's the shop inflating numbers, throw that same car on a Mustang dyno with normal correction factor and watch the numbers drop significantly.

To the OP, I would say somewhere between 300-340 whp and 340-380 wtq depending on the dyno and tuner.

RcmaSTI

Yep. Adam does the work. No kidding, I've never seen a dyno read as low as his. But I will only use his dyno as a comparison with my STI. 300whp on his dyno is like 400whp on a dynojet at sea level; literally!
They are really good guys and have been patient as I keep changing my mind on what to do next with my GR.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I only have access to a DynoDynamics in my area. I was unfamiliar with these at the time and when my car made 387whp on E85 and a 20G @ 18psi, I thought there could be room for improvement. Now that I know this I am much happier with those numbers.:tup:

jswansti

You're right, Harvey uses a dyno dynamics dyno and he said the numbers usually run a bit lower than other dynos, especially sea level dynos. I was also dynoing on my winter tires which made a bit of a difference also. I was still happy though. On E85 at 18.5 psi I put down 296whp and 330wtq. He said on performance tires it would've read ~306whp and a bit more torque too. We ran a few aggressive tunes just to push it a little and made ~312whp and 350wtq, but we didnt use that tune to keep the engine/ turbo safe.

jswansti

So I think you might come just shy of that 300 mark. Only my opinion and good luck!

You were pretty much spot on! Thanks.

I picked up the cai cuz I got it for pretty cheap. Its potential isnt really utilized until you get a bigger turbo, but I still like it.

Last edited:

RcmaSTI

I only have access to a DynoDynamics in my area. I was unfamiliar with these at the time and when my car made 387whp on E85 and a 20G @ 18psi, I thought there could be room for improvement. Now that I know this I am much happier with those numbers.

387whp on a DD= FTW :)

My goal is to hit 300whp, conservatively, on a DD.

Last edited:

RcmaSTI

Man I hope I can hit 275ish on Adam's Dyno. Unless my car was built at the plant by some lazy POS and simply underperforms, LOL.
Congrats on those numbers! That is awesome.

You were pretty much spot on! Thanks.

I picked up the cai cuz I got it for pretty cheap. Its potential isnt really utilized until you get a bigger turbo, but I still like it.