GR RDKLSTi ? 518whp/492wtq (MD) 2008 STi

Deek

The fun begins this weekend! Can't wait!

Recieved these today... KSTech 9.5mm phenolic spacers with gaskets & hardware.
CjlBhl.jpg

Deek

Let the fun begin... removed the hood, front bumper and front fender linings, then drove it to the shop.

LNVX9l.jpg

The removed parts resting safely in the house.
fetX0l.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Re: riDEEKulous STi - #HELLAMEATY | SSR / FP Black / AquaMist / Tomei / etc..

Nice. :tup:

Deek

I'm driving to Moreno Valley to get my intake manifold and throttle body ported, and TGV's deleted.

Then I'm driving back to the shop here in the desert to drop the parts off at the shop.

Last edited:

Deek

Ah, in the rental

Yessir.

Navid is getting the lay of the land...
navid-inspect.jpg

Apparently Navid saw what he needed to see during inspection, cause he's working with his eyes closed.
navid-eyesclosed.jpg

I went to get some food, stopped at the house to eat with the wifey and came back to this...
oldengine-pulled3.jpg

oldengine-pulled1.jpg

oldengine-pulled2.jpg

Some shots of the chassis with everything out.
chassis-engineout1.jpg

chassis-engineout2.jpg

chassis-engineout3.jpg

Now that the engine is out, it's time to get off the intake manifold & throttle-body and the TGVs so I can meet up with Ruben for deleting and porting.
navid-working1.jpg

Navid's thoughts, "Good lord, what is all this garbage stuck to the manfiold? So much unneeded equipment, weight will be shaved!"
navid-working2.jpg

Finally, it's all off and ready for Ruben @ SoCalPorting.
oldengine-teardown.jpg

Before heading out, I figured I'd take a comparison snapshot of the new turbo vs the old.
turbos-oldvsnew.jpg

*Yes, I'm aware the inlet housing has a small dent in it, we checked for stress fractures and found none so we're going to let it be.

Last edited:

Deek

Ruben, doing his thing to the TGVs.
ruben-tgvdelete.jpg

Intake manifold's turn.
ruben-intakemanifoldport.jpg

...sorry, didn't snap a pic of the throttle-body porting.

Clean up time!
ruben-cleanup.jpg

Final results...

TGVs.
tgv-ported1.jpg

tgv-ported2.jpg

Throttle-body.
throttlebody-ported.jpg

Intake Manifold.
intakemanifold-ported1.jpg

intakemanifold-ported2.jpg

Gasket matched Phenolic spacers.
phenolicspacers-matched.jpg

Deek

Nice! You'll love it once it's all together.

I hope so, definitely looking forward to it.

Sweet business, Deeks! Really looking forward to seeing this baby completed!
You stressed out yet? haha.

Ran into a snag... overcame easily though. Based on how the engine was shipped (tie-downs over the crank pulley) there was damage to the pulley and the key. We had to cook it a bit (torch) to get it all off and were a bit concerned about the oil seal. Local dealer was able to get a replacement key, crank gear and main oil seal next day.

New crank gear and oil seal.
newengine-newgear_seal.jpg

Last edited:

Deek

Stopped by the shop yesterday to see parts were making their way onto the engine assembly. We're getting there slowly but surely. He runs a one-man shop and doesn't cut corners at all, so I'm OK with it taking a hair longer (Navid, if you read this note that I said a "hair", not a wig ;)).

newengine_assembly1.jpg

newengine_assembly2.jpg

newengine_assembly3.jpg

Fuel rail close-up.
newengine_fuelrail.jpg

Phenolic spacers close-up.
newengine_phenolicspacers.jpg

Deek

Cleaning up the exhaust ports.
newengine-exhaustport.jpg

We stayed a little late and got the EGT bung welded on the header.
header-egtbung.jpg

I started wrapping it, but ran out of material... more is on the way.
header-partialwrap.jpg

header-egtbungwrap.jpg

Deek

Nice work ur doing by the way, cant wait to see the end result

Thanks, its a little slow going, but its still going... who knows though, the builder just smashed his thumb really bad today while installing an axle on a BMW that was there for a total suspension overhaul. He smashed it so hard between a rubber mallet and the axle that this thumb actually popped. OUCH!

He's a one-man shop though, so we'll see how this hurts progress. I spoke with him earlier and he said he'll still go into the shop even if it's to stand around and be there, talk to customers, whatever. I told him I'd be more than happy to come into the shop and be a solid set of hands to help him finish off the BMW and keep things going with my build. We had already planned to start early tomorrow (Saturday) to get the new engine mated to the trans and subframe and then into the car, we'll see how things go down.

Well i call dibbs on it! When u start selling things of please PM me a price cuz im very interested.Wld b a nice little upgrade over the vf39!

This may negate your interest in the turbo, or not if I'm totally off base, but aren't they essentially the same thing? If this is true, it'd be a viable replacement for someone with a blown stock turbo, but not a worthwhile "upgrade"?

Last edited:

Deek

I can't really give a good comparison in that respect but I can say I've seen leaps and bound increases when used on the older STi's

Good to know, thanks! :tup:

So DEEK i call dibs! Pm me a price when ur ready to sell it! Ill buy it

I'll keep your request in mind, I do have a local buddy that wants to purchase it as well because his turbo seals are giving out. I'm not sure how serious he is about purchasing, so I'll keep you posted. It's more than likely going to be a few weeks or so until I start selling things off.

Header fully wrapped and installed.
newengine-headerinstalled1.jpg

newengine-headerinstalled2.jpg

Ready to mate to trans, mount to subframe and go in the car... can you guess where the AOS is going? Hint: I have to order a battery box to move that to the trunk.
newengine-assembled1.jpg

newengine-assembled2.jpg

Deek

Deek its soooo beautiful, i wanna buy headers now lol. And thats fine, i have to wait a bit anyways, told the wife id wait till we close on our house to buy a new turbo. So that shld b the end of this month or early october anyways. Well im very serious about ur turbo, so definitly keep me posted good sir

Thanks, I definitely would have preferred Swaintech over the wrapping, but didn't allow enough time for the 3+ week turnaround. Phase two... ;)

Deek

Flywheel installed, engine mounted to subframe.
newengine-flywheelinstalled1.jpg

newengine-flywheelinstalled2.jpg

Clutch installed.
newengine-clutchinstalled.jpg

Trans mounted.
newengine-transinstalled.jpg

Engine in car, all wired up.
newengine-installed.jpg

What's left?
-Finish installing fuel system.
-Install intercooler.
-Fab and install breather box (AOS).
-Install gauges.
-Install Aquamist kit.
-Relocate battery to trunk.

I will say that dropping the entire subframe and trans with the engine was far more convenient than shimmying the engine out of the bay. I was skeptical at first, but it seems pretty logical.

Also a "confirmation" compression test was done on the engine today... 140psi across all four cylinders, cold/wet.

Last edited: