GR RDKLSTi ? 518whp/492wtq (MD) 2008 STi

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Im curious about the breather box. What principles are being used to separate air and oil?

Also must be awful, having all that power you cant use on a limp tune. It'd be like having to close my eyes while i wrapped my own christmas presents.

Deek

Im curious about the breather box. What principles are being used to separate air and oil?

Also must be awful, having all that power you cant use on a limp tune. It'd be like having to close my eyes while i wrapped my own christmas presents.

There are two panels in the middle, stuffed with steel wool.

fabrication-aos2.jpg

Its a very simple, but effective solution. We rerouted the 4 breather lines, two crankcase and one on each valve cover, to the four inlets on the inlet side of the breather box. The small hole seen in the lower right of the picture is where the drain valve goes, to be checked at least every oil change. I will check more frequently, at least until I'm more familiar with the behavior of everything. The air then passes through the baffle with the steel wool in the middle and escapes through the breather filters and also has outlet breather lines going back to the valve covers.

Note: The baffle plate on the inlet side of the breather box is welded all the way around (except the top, but if oil gets that high... yeah, boom) to prevent oil from seeping past the plate and wool. The outlet side is only welded in sections to hold the steel wool in place.

aos-complete.jpg

...and yes, I am going a little nuts not being able to use the new power yet! ;)

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm still a bit new to PCV/AOS/etc... systems, so forgive the potentially newb question:

Does this re-attach to the turbo inlet? If so: If air can escape the vents, doesn't that mean air can be sucked in through the vents? And if it can enter/exit, doesn't that mean you have the potential for under/over-metered air to be in the system?

Deek

Re: riDEEKulous STi - #HELLAMEATY | SSR / FP Black / AquaMist / Tomei / etc

I'm still a bit new to PCV/AOS/etc... systems, so forgive the potentially newb question:

Does this re-attach to the turbo inlet? If so: If air can escape the vents, doesn't that mean air can be sucked in through the vents? And if it can enter/exit, doesn't that mean you have the potential for under/over-metered air to be in the system?

No it does not reattach to the turbo inlet.
Also since there is always crank case pressure, regardless of vacuum or boost conditions, the filters should never suck in air from outside the box.

Deek

Drove around in the desert heat half of the day without A/C yesterday, instant migraine... never doing that shit again. Remedied!

Vacuumed, leak tested and charged. :D
ac-charge.jpg

Deek

nice. glad to see it up n running

Thanks.

Daniel from Church Automotive Testing came down to the desert to install a new intake manifold and for Navid to fab him an intake. While he was in town, we took the STi for a test drive on the base map he provided (no boost) and we found that cylinder four is pretty noisy. Within one minute of being started, knock sum on cylinders one through three were anywhere from 0-4, cylinder four got up to 50+.

I'm going to bring it out to Church's this weekend to look at it in a more controlled environment (dyno).

tuning-danielnavid.jpg

Deek

Still waiting for the tuner to finish my tune, I might be heading out there either this Saturday or next.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yikes. So you're going ahead with the tune...does that mean there are no physical issues?

Deek

I'm not trying to be an asshole but based off of what I've read so far, there's some issues I can see right off the bat. If your interested in hearing what I have to say, I'll hold back the sarcasm and help you. I know that motor is solid and I can explain why your having most of your issues.

Very interested to hear, would you prefer a phone conversation? I'm OK for whatever. :)

Last edited:

Deek

Thanks for that chat earlier Gino, I'll probably be in touch throughout the next couple days to sort out a few concerns. Talk to you more tomorrow about breather box setup. :thumbup:

Deek

Ahh yes, threads need to be updated!

After a talk with Gino, I needed to change some things with the breather box setup. That's all sorted out now and dyno time netted 430 hp/tq on 25lb with CA91 (horse-piss gas) and a 50/50 alcohol/water mixture alc injection via Aquamist. Might do a VPImport or FTW tune for track days when money is better, but this is good enough for daily driving for now.

Deek

The graphs are in my car, I'll grab them and scan them at some point.

It comes on a bit late, but that was expected. So I'm OK with it and have adjusted accordingly. Initially I didn't have any intention of running a larger turbo like the FP Black but I couldn't pass up the price I got it for from Edwin. Overall I'm satisfied, not super enthused. I will say that my enthusiasm definitely rises each time I am provided with an opportunity to put a "WTF just happened" look on the face of overzealous instigators.

So far, in the week I've been tuned, there have been two newer SS Camaros and a BMW 3 series (not M)... one random SS on my way to work pulls up next to me looks down at the car and smirks. He downshifts and takes off, I follow suit and reel him in a lot quicker than probably either of us expected. I end up getting next to him on the freeway as he was trying to pull away from me, gave him a genuine thumbs up for effort and he rolls his eyes. Another was actually my buddy's brand new SS, we were cruising around the other night and ended up hooning around a bit after watching a few races on abandoned roads in the desert. Right before we went our separate ways he was giving praise. I think the BMW was a 328i, but it was definitely chipped and had some sort of exhaust modification... sounded pretty awesome and moved pretty damn quick. Girl driver, she flies up from behind me and passes, I leave it alone cause I'm minding my own. We get a light a minute or so later and she's revvin'... I didn't launch, just rolled away from the light in first to see what she was going to do. She staged it late and hammered it so I did the same and ended up about 3 car lengths ahead at about 80mph.

Deek

So....updates?

Nothing much has changed... just did brake pads and the Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace. Brakes are super touchy now, I love it.

They are a bit noisy though. I was using ProjectMu B-Force Street Pads, now I'm on Hawk HP+. Even using the lube that came with, they're still very noisy. But the braking performance increase from the HP+ in addition to the master cylinder brace, versus the PMu's, is quite substantial.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Nothing much has changed... just did brake pads and the Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace. Brakes are super touchy now, I love it.

They are a bit noisy though. I was using ProjectMu B-Force Street Pads, now I'm on Hawk HP+. Even using the lube that came with, they're still very noisy. But the braking performance increase from the HP+ in addition to the master cylinder brace, versus the PMu's, is quite substantial.

I was thinking about order that Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace. I'm just wondering now, about how touchy the brakes will become. I'm assuming that
it shouldn't be overly aggressive unless I had an aftermarket brake kit installed. Is this your feeling as well? I haven't read through this entire thread, but I'm assuming your brakes are aftermarket....at least the pads of course.

Deek

I was thinking about order that Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace. I'm just wondering now, about how touchy the brakes will become. I'm assuming that
it shouldn't be overly aggressive unless I had an aftermarket brake kit installed. Is this your feeling as well? I haven't read through this entire thread, but I'm assuming your brakes are aftermarket....at least the pads of course.

Unfortunately, I did my pads and the brace install at the same time so it's hard to say how much each component improved the brake feel and responsiveness; but I can say that I now have significantly more braking power that requires far less pedal effort. I barely have to rest my foot on the pedal for regular stops and initial bite is vastly improved. The HP+ are pretty noisy, but I can live with that for the performance.

The rest of my braking components are;
  • Goodridge stainless lines
  • Stop Tech Power Slot rotors
  • RBF600 fluid

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Recommendations: Full face clutch or a twin plate. 6 pucks are fine, but a PITA to drive daily. Not impossible and you'd get used to it... but not fun either.

I know it's an old post to reply to, but I have a SPEC Stage III (rated for 549wtq) 6-puck clutch that I drive daily. Jordan at Defined hooked me up. It slips just fine when you need to get rolling, not loud or chattery, the pressure isn't bad either...I expected to grow a huge left leg pushing in the clutch all day. No problem...my mom drove it a couple times with little issue.