seam welding

stichris

has anyone done it?? i know it helps with making the chassis stiffer but is it worth it i have a friend that already said he would do it for free im just trying to decide if it will be worth it and sense my car is down getting a engine built i have alot of time before its done so yea what do u guys think?

Tarmac_GR_STI

FOR FREE?!!! Nice.

I wonder how much this would cost to get done?...

EDIT: HEY!
<----That's BS!

I was on here way before Dec :(

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Anyone have any information on this subject that can post it here, and Tarmac when did you join?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Tarmac was here on the ooooooold forum.

Ah I remember the old site, lol. Wow we have come along way boys!

what info do you want??? tips and ticks??? its pretty self explanitory... you just add welds to the existing welds that hold you chassis sections together making your chassis stiffer stronger and less likely to rip apart and get thrown everywhere when in the case of an accident...

here is a great example... your welds can vary from just spot welding to doing a full bead... and the more places you have welded the stronger it is...
Picture028.jpg

examples for the different uses of the welds

most rally cars use spot welds around 2-3'' long and about 3-4'' apart to allow some flex in the shell... and being exposed to rough roads and harsh elements the little bit of chassis flex helps prevent damage that can be caused by sudden pot hole impacts flight time hot to sudden cold from water and other things

most pavement queens use full beads to make the chassis as stiff as possible because there isn't a need for the chassis to be able flex since most tracks are smooth and free of debris

Thanks Bubba for the info.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm going to try expansive foam. Cheaper, faster and easier. Heard it can have the same results too.

I heard that also, but don't know anyone that every did it.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well keep me informed about the foam. I wanna know about this for sure.

stichris

since it is free go for it... i bet your buddy doesn't really understand how much work he is getting him self into... it really does make an improvement on the chassis and keeping the flexing to minimum... if you ever want to run you car in rally seam welding is required in order to get your car log booked...

yea he doesn't so last night he was teaching me how to do it ahha so far i got the fender wells done and a lil in the trunk

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yeah I think that's the way I'm gonna go also if I would do it.

Tarmac_GR_STI

Anyone have any information on this subject that can post it here, and Tarmac when did you join?

It was back in like Sep or something like that.

I'd really like to do this seam welding, but I don't really have access to any of the tools needed! :(

Anyone local that could help me? :D

Turbineguy

Just for trivia sake the reason cars are not sold seam welded in the US is due to federal law. They have to be spot welded in order to meet federal crash standards for crumple zones and such. The spot welding allows the car to crumple more. Personaly I say weld every inch of that shit and give me a 5 point.

Tarmac_GR_STI

So, should I seam weld every inch or 2 inches? The car will be turned into a weekend warrior, I'll be getting a second car in the near future, so I can do whatever I feel is necessary to make it the ultimate machine!

Tarmac_GR_STI

But, is that Ideal for racing or rally applications? Doing full welds?

I mean, doesn't there need to be a tad bit of flex for bumpy roads if I decided to take it on gravel roads? Like 1 inch seam welds that are 3-4 inches apart (maybe 2 inches). Or something like that.