Steering issue

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So this is what the rear suspension looks like (mostly):

2-1b.jpg

Check all the pink things, except they wont be pink on your car. Also looked for bent/flipped endlinks.

For the front, it'll look a bit like this:
26156d1283998370-whiteline-fsb-rubbing-tie-rods-img_5360.jpg

The bar on the top of the picture is quite important. Make sure its not loose/bent in any way. Clearly the others are all important too. Make sure things like swaybar endlinks (they're aftermarket in that picture, the vertical metal bit) isn't hitting anything or bent.

Slacker

yeah look like its just gonna be time consuming. when im under there ill get some pics and lable them just to see if you all see something im not knowledgeable about. will see monday tho.

That’s funny my 04 STI had the same issue like a week ago. What it ended up being is a bent wheel knuckle.... When I get home I will post a pic of how bad my alignment was. Anyways, from the factory our cars do not have adjustable camber alignment in the rear. That being said something is bent. For me I it is the knuckle on the passenger rear tire, which will eventually have to be replaced. However, in the mean time I am choosing to get a rear lateral link kit so I can adjust the camber/toe exactly where I want it for my driving style. I know this is not exactly the best way to fix my problem, but this is the route I am choosing to go. If not corrected the rear right tire can be expected to wear before its time, and possibly cause a blow out while driving. But i don't think this is why your car is pulling to the right.

Now, looking at your sheet it states that the included angle and SAI are out of spec in the front right. Not by much but still out of spec. If I had to guess I would say that something is bent there. And that’s where you need to pay attention.

Here is a link that can better explain what included angle is than I can at this time.

http://www.aligncraft.com/terms/terms.html

go to this link and click on [SUP][SIZE=+1]Steering Axis Inclination (SAI)
[/SIZE]
[/SUP]

Theres more useful information on this page as well...defiantly a good read.

Hope this information is helpful, and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Raven

:04ftw:

Last edited:

Slacker

thats the right rear!
and here is another project im going to be doing very soon. this was dry last 6 mo ago

Slacker

so if I was to replace all the components in the rear. is there a package deal online I can look at. im at a loss Im not sure what to call the parts. in the picture you see two bars that come in towards the wheel and the assembly that they connect to. i,m assuming they are some sort of control arm.... also the arm that is in line with the tire.

@slackker those are called lateral link bars. For me i am going to be replacing mine with adjustable ones, as to which ones i cant comment at this time because i have not done enough research yet to make my decision. If you would like a break down and listing of each Subaru part number i can get that for you easy enough. In the mean time here are few links for examples of different adjustable lateral link bars for our cars

Whitelines Rear Control arm - lower front & rear arm assembly (camber/toe correction)

Cusco Rear Lateral Links Subaru WRX STI 02-07

Remember these examples are not specifically for your car but are just examples so that you can search and find the part you want. That being said with a kit much like the Whiteline one you should be able to get your camber and toe back in spec for the rear....you could also get a little bit of positive camber or at least rid of the negative camber in the rear to help with the understeer our cars have.

[MENTION=1513]Slacker[/MENTION] ....lol i do most of my posting here while i am at work....

:cheers::lmao:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Dont get TOO carried away just yet. While upgrades are almost always better, the upgrades may not cure the issue if they weren't causing the problem. Did we determine that something in the rear is for sure broken, or just out of alignment?

Slacker

i believe raven said there is no camber adjustment for the rear so something is bent /broke. I am gonna dig into it this week and find out what it is. i have gone from a -.01 to a -3.8 in about a years time. ... camber that is in the right rear

[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] the rear camber is not adjustable by factory....That being said to be that far out of alignment with camber in the rear something has to be bent...there are a few ways to correct this, and i may not of said it explicitly, so here i go.
This example is based on a 2004 wrx sti USDM spec.
To bring everything back to factory spec there are two routes.
#1 find and replace the actual part that is bent....by looking at the picture provided I would have to say that it is more than likely the rear axel Housing" Subarupart number 28016pa010". Could also be strut or any number of other parts causing the camber to be this far out of alignment. However to replace the rear axel Housing you would also have to do the bearings, seals, and possbily the wheel hub as well, if that is also damaged. I will not quote on price's because there is alot to factor in, such as shop time if you have a shop replace the broken parts, and cost of the parts as well and where you get them from.

Breakdown of rear axle housing for 04 WRX STI (Picture taken from parts.subaru.com)
orbb8noqwchkw5ihh348xu4jb09w2v1h.png

Option #2
By an aftermarket kit that can get you back into spec and give you a nice upgrade at same time...

I am here only to give options and then advise what I would do next once someone deciedes on what they want to do..

Also forgot to mention again that I honestly think that your pulling to the right is mostly related to something in the front being out of alignment/bent. The camber being out in the rear i think will eat up tires more than any thing...Don't believe me take a look at this....lol
dxzxw8kg43uos3n2iag8ljyxpavjusm8.jpg

caet34f9kx2flujnwqedoibdvmagvagq.jpg

Slacker

yes back to the pulling right in the front. what would make that happen sometimes and then be straight as a arrow 30 seconds later. its almost like the strut tower bearings are sticking. " mine are very bad and need to be replaced. 115k on them" the struts are brand new as well as the steering knuckles. couldent see anything else bent in the front. not to say that it is but didnt look like it. I just rotated the tires... basically just swapped the front two. right to left and what not.