sti

JuanSTI

im trying to fix my sti but i cant find what the problem is it heats up really fast but the temp gauge is at norm temp and if i drive it to much it ill make a weird noise like compressed air or something and it all ready messed up my stock turbo i really need help with this one.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How many miles are in it? Sounds like a head gasket to me. Do you smell antifreeze or see white smoke?

JuanSTI

its got 70,000 but one of my friends is looking at it and he doesnt think its the cuz its not leaking anything theres no water in the oil or oil in the water but im not sure he thinks it might be the water pump ??

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Strange. Have you ever changed the antifreeze?

JuanSTI

i do smell antifreeze before we opened it and spilled . there was white smoke like four months ago but not now and its been siting for like a year and four months

JuanSTI

no never but this started when i hit a rock and messed up my oil pan then got it fixed drove it without warm in it up then i think it was low on antifreeze and i drove it really hard to make sure it was good and then i heard a big clack sound

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I would start with a pressure check on the system just to rule it out for anything leaking anywhere. You also could have air in the system that needs bled out.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
ok how do i do that ?

You need a pressure gauge that hooks up to the radiator where the cap is. You pump it up and put the system under pressure and see if the gauge drops. If it does you got a leak. If not then onto the next step.

JuanSTI

ok cool . what would be the next step ? sorry for so many questions and thanks for your help . i really want to fix it i miss driving it

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Are you sure the whole system is full of antifreeze?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Do exactly as JJ prescribes first. Then after that you could be looking at air in the system or a water pump or a faulty thermostat.

If the car was sitting for a year it is possible that the thermostat or water pump got crudded up with something.

You can rule out the thermostat by dropping it in boiling water and observe if it opens or not.

JuanSTI

Yes it is cuz when i got my new turbo they filled it all up and i doubled checked so it was full . so the only thing i dont get is the noise it makes ? and i also have a lot of power loss it doent feel the same at all its really slow now and i havent done a full tune up either . so how will i check to see if i got air in the system?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It almost sounds like you have more than one issue going on hear. The cooling issue could be one thing and the noise you describe could be a boost leak... It is hard to say with out looking at it so I can only guess. Do you have access to a boost leak testor?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Also I'm just curious... :tup: I just re-read the OP and I have an important question... How are you sure it heats up if the temp gauge reads normal? :D

JuanSTI

cuz i turned it on and just left it running for about 15 mins and the turbo was really hot and radiator i mean its really hot so i dont get it either . what could of made my stock turbo go bad?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well these cars may seem hot under the hood but if the temp gauge reads good chances are you are fine... You really cant go by how it feels under the hood.

Also I wouldn't write off the turbo just yet until you have a chance to test for leaks. :tup: