sway bar and endlink install ?

johnny5

Im lookinfg for a little imput on my new gear. i got the whiteline front 24mm adjustable and 22mm adjustable rear sways. any idea what a good all around adjustment would be? and can i put the kartboy endlinks and bars on with jack stands or do i need to get ramps?
Thanks, John

Grinder34

Track Monkey
jackstands are fine.

I'd start with the soft setting in front and the middle setting in the rear. From there its easy to adjust, but I think that'll give you a good starting setting

Grinder34

Track Monkey
on the front, you can use the jack plate in the center under the motor. You can also use the scissor jack on the seam behind the front tires and still get a jack stand on there. Same with the rear. You can also jack from the rear diff, apparently, but I avoid doing that. If you're going to, make sure you're firmly on the diff and not the rear diff cover plate thingie, so you dont rip that off.

johnny5

So, Everthing i have read says the job should be done while the suspension is compressed? I can borrow 2 ramps. So i can probably ramp the rear and then ramp the front. I had no problem when i did my downpipe and exhaust with jacking from the diff or the center jack plate. I guess my question is....would ramps be better and can i only ramp one end at a time. Thanks for all the input.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I have done the job both ways, loaded and unloaded.

You can put both ends in the air or on ramps at the same time.

ZachTTLM

when you install the swaybars wrap the section of the bar that rides in the poly bushing with Teflon tape then add the grease. This will help reduce the squeak that happens with metal and polyurethane contact..

I just did an install of 25mm front and rear. What I did was install the rear first. Didnt even need to jack the car off the ground. Then moved to the front. Jacked one side up put jack stand where the lower a arm bolts to the undercarriage. Then moved over to the other side same thing. Then from there easy to access everything. Yes a little tight but not to tight. On Adjustment I put mine at the stiffest setting in the front. And for you I would suggest the stiffest for the rear. This will not change the understeer Characteristics your used to on the stock suspension. If the rear is stronger than the front you will get oversteer. Just my two cents. I ran both ways on the track and the understeer is more predictable and the awd traction keeps you going where you want for the most part.

CasonKirk

I just ordered some Eibach sway bars and a set of Kartboy rear endlinks (didn't have enough for the front at this time). I am installing them myself at home with jack stands and was wondering if I really need the front endlinks? They are the next part I want to order but should I wait for them before I install or can I do them after the sway bars are already in?

2013 STI Hatch

I have the exact same set up on my 13 limited. The kartboy end links dont quite fit the sway bars right. On the rear you cant put it on the stiffest setting with out putting on spacers. Put spacers and you will need longer bolts. Same with the front. They sit at a hard angle which is bad for the bushings. But to answer your question you can wait for after the sways are in. Depending on how you drive will depict how long before the front end links start to make noise. I only made it a few months before I could t take it anymore. It sounded like something was loose and rattling around

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I just ordered some Eibach sway bars and a set of Kartboy rear endlinks (didn't have enough for the front at this time). I am installing them myself at home with jack stands and was wondering if I really need the front endlinks? They are the next part I want to order but should I wait for them before I install or can I do them after the sway bars are already in?

2013 STI Hatch

What boogieman said.
You can install either or whenever you like.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I have the exact same set up on my 13 limited. The kartboy end links dont quite fit the sway bars right. On the rear you cant put it on the stiffest setting with out putting on spacers. Put spacers and you will need longer bolts. Same with the front. They sit at a hard angle which is bad for the bushings. But to answer your question you can wait for after the sways are in. Depending on how you drive will depict how long before the front end links start to make noise. I only made it a few months before I could t take it anymore. It sounded like something was loose and rattling around

Try installing them with the suspension loaded. You can do this with the tires on ramps or try using a jack under the LCA and cycling it up and down until the end links line up more properly.
Stacking washers, as spacers, is also a cheap alternative plus they are thin and you can get the spacing more right. Kinda like adding or subtracting shims.

In picture two it shows the endlink installed in the second hole. I can not install it in the hole closet to the bar as it hits. I will have to put a large spacer. I may end up going to a different endlink or grinding the bar and endlink down. Oh and they are Perrin sways. 25mm front and rear