The Exhaust, Downpipe, and Manifold Thread.

R3V

The Catback Exhaust, Downpipe, and Manifold Thread.

As of 3/8/2012 this list is incomplete.

I invite all Elite members to edit this post for both accuracy and to include any and all relevant information. Extrapolation and expounding on covered topics is also an excellent idea, but anything more than a brief overview should be linked to a separate thread.

Seeing as there is no thread (that I can find) containing information on the various exhausts available for WRX/STI's, I thought I'd piece this together to help everyone out. All fitment needs to be double checked before ordering as in most cases there are multiple fitments available (i.e. hatch and sedan models). Prices gathered from various vendors, and are approximated. I will list all available cat-back exhausts, downpipes, and exhaust manifold's currently available both new and used.

For a detailed technical discussion, please visit The Exhaust Design and Exhaust Theory thread.

TBE = Turbo Back Exhaust (Includes Downpipe) *REQUIRES TUNE*
CBE = CatBack Exhaust (Does not include Downpipe)
OTS = Off the Shelf, usually referring to an AccessPort tune
Stage 1 = Basic Reflash of the computer, can be done totally stock or in addition to an intake
Stage 2 = Flash for the addition of a downpipe
Protune = A professional tune, which is superior to an OTS tune in regard to power, safety, and longevity. Research your choice in tuner extremely carefully.
Exhaust Manifold = Typically called a "header"

mattspec.gif

For best results, seek a full 3 inch turbo back exhaust.

Grinder34's take on exhausts (stolen from another thread):

As far as the axle-back (muffler, etc..) is concerned, its largely down to sound, look, and weight (if you're into that). There are LOTS of youtube videos you can find with different exhaust setups. As for the downpipe, most will serve you just fine. There are catted (emissions legal) and uncatted (usually illegal, but most states dont care except CA). The uncatted will usually net you a bit more performance, but only maybe butt-dyno noticeable. There are a ton of brands out there.

The one thing to take into account with the post-turbo exhaust, is that it's a true 3" all the way to the end. Some downpipes neck down to 2.5" which is an unnecessary restriction since most people end up with a 3".

So that's what most people think of when they talk "exhaust" but theres also some pre-turbo exhaust components: the header and up-pipe. There are definitely gains to be had there! Are you interested in those as well? If so, the first question you have to answer is: equal (EL) or un-equal length (UEL)? UEL is what the car comes with and is generally attributed to the "boxer rumble" you may have heard about. But UEL basically has exhaust pulses from each cylinder colliding with eachother and is probably not an ultimate-power type of setup. But it sounds fun. EL, on the other hand, has all the exhaust pulses equally distributed..but loses some of the traditional sound. For upgrading the header's performance, you dont have to swap the whole header out: there are some "cross-pipe" options, namely the GrimmSpeed cross-pipe that can give you some gains. You can also port and polish (PnP) the other OEM header components for some reasonable gains. I havent actually done that but its pretty widely accepted, from what i understand. The headers connect to the up-pipe (which goes up to the turbo). I dont actually know much about the OEM up-pipe, but there are lots of options for those as well. But you'll want to make sure before you buy anything that they all connect nicely: some are two-bolt, some are three-bolt, and the occasionaly v-band from what i remember.

Catalytic converter back Exhausts, or Catbacks.

To start, the cat back portion of the exhaust does not typically require a tune. That being said most people start off their modifying with an intake (tune required), a CBE, and an OTS stage 1 tune. Adding a downpipe also requires a tune, and can be done on it's own (no CBE or intake) with either an AP stage 2 tune, or a protune. If you are not currently using any type of flash device to tune the car or a have tuner to tune the car, it is imperative you do not do any modification that changes the airflow characteristics of the motor. Any time you add additional performance parts to the car it must be tuned for these new modifications. Certain exhausts are available as both a CBE and TBE, or as only one or the other. For that reason the "Type" column shows how it is available.

The CBE portion of your exhaust is the part that determines the majority of the sound, and has a very small (~3%) effect on performance. It will consist of the axle back portion as well as the midpipe. Most CBE's can be swapped for each other with no need to re-tune. You will want to re-tune however, when either the size of the piping or flow characteristics change drastically. Assuming all else being equal however, the CBE is primarily for personal preference of both sound and aesthetics. For the GR they come in various styles including single exit, dual exit, dual exit quad tipped, angled exit(s), stainless tips, or even burnt titanium tips (personal favorite) all of which range in price and volume. To be added upon relative completion of this list will be approximate decibel ratings.

GR WRX/STI 2008 - 2012 Exhausts

ModelTypeCost
Agency Power SSCBE$750.00
Agency Power TiCBE$850.00
AMRTBE*$1,900.00
Apexi MegaphoneCBE$650.00
ARK PerformanceCBE/TBE*$950.00 (CBE)
$1,500.00 (TBE)
Blitz Nut Spec RTBE*$2,000.00
BorlaCBE$925.00
CNT PerformanceCBE/TBE*$350.00 (CBE)
$700.00 (TBE)
COBBCBE$1,200.00
CrawfordCBE$750.00
Crawford GymkhanaCBE$400.00
Fast MotorsportsCBE$340.00
FujibitsuCBE$900.00
Greddy Spectrum EliteCBE$1,500.00
HKS ESTBE*$1,750.00
HKS LegmaxTBE*$2,000.00
Invidia Q300CBE$850.00 (Stainless Tip)
$975.00 (Titanium Tip)
Invidia N1CBE$725.00 (Stainless Tip)
$900.00 (Titanium Tip)
Lachute PerformanceCBE/TBE*$1,500.00 (CBE)
$1,800.00 (TBE)
MagnaflowCBE$900.00
MiltekTBE*$1,850.00
NamelessCBE$1,200.00
P&LCBE$1,000.00 (Cannister or Quad Tip)
Perrin Single TipCBE$1,000.00
Perrin Quad TipCBE$1,200.00
SPTCBE$900.00
Turbo XSCBE$715.00
Turbo XSTBE*$1,120.00
Ultimate RacingCBE$750.00

GD WRX/STI 2004-2007 Exhausts

ModelTypeCost
AMSCBE$640.00
Apexi GT SpecCBE$900.00
Apexi N1"CBE$700.00
Blitz Nur Spec RCBE$680.00
Blitz Nur Spec R TouringCBE$800.00
Borla HushCBE$640.00
Borla XR-1CBE$665.00
BPM GTCBE
BPM Twister IICBE
Buddy Club Spec IIICBE
Cobb 3"CBE
CrawfordCBE
Crawford GymkhanaCBE
Fujitsubo LegalisCBE
Fujitsubo Power GetterCBE
Fujitsubo RM01ACBE
Greddy Evo/Evo 2CBE
Greddy Sp2CBE
Greddy TICBE
Helix TitaniumCBE
HKS Carbon TICBE
Invidia G200CBE
Invidia N1 Race/StreetCBE
JIC 505SCBE
MadDad WhisperCBE
Megan RacingCBE
PerrinCBE
ProdriveCBE
RS*RCBE
SPTCBE
Tanabe MedallionCBE
Turbro XSCBE
Turbo XS RFL-TiCBE

Downpipes

A downpipe is the portion of the exhaust the portion where the most power can be gained, or at least initially in a car that is mostly stock form. This piece connects the hotside of the turbo to the midpipe, and replaces the extremely restrictive stock 2.5 inch downpipe. They will come both with and without catalytic converters. In most states you will NOT pass emissions without a catalytic converter. The downside of having a cat however is that sooner or later it will need to be replaced, and that (according to some) it can at times make less power than having a catless downpipe instead.

The term "stage 2" will typically refer to a modified car with a full turbo-back exhaust. Subaru's offer two different types of after market downpipes, the bellmouth which is a downpipe with a oval shaped opening that is open to all the exhaust from the turbo and the divorced which has a similar opening to the bellmouth but incorporates a metal piece to separate the exhaust gasses coming from the wastgate and the turbo itself. For a detailed explanation on the differences between various types/sizes/materials used, please see this thread here.

GR WRX/STI 2008-2012 Downpipes
ModelCatalytic ConverterMaterialWidthCost
Cobb Catted BellmouthYes304 Stainless3 Inches - Tapered to 2.5 - No Flex Joint$600.00
Injen Divorced V1Yes304 Stainless3 Inches - No Taper/Flex Joint$550.00
Injen DivorcedNo304 Stainless3 Inches - No Taper/Flex Joint$420.00
Invidia Divorced V1Yes304 Stainless3 Inches - No Taper/Flex Joint$500.00
Invidia Catless Divorced

$300.00
Invidia Catless Bellmouth

$250.00
Nameless Performance

$600.00
Tomei Expreme Catless Bellmouth

$375.00
TurboXS Catless Bellmouth

$315.00

GD WRX/STI 2002-2007 Downpipes

ModelCatalytic ConverterMaterialWidthCost
Cobb BellmouthYes304 Stainless3 Inches - Tapered to 2.5 - No Flex Joint$600.00
HKS BellmouthNo304 Stainless3 Inches - No taper/Flex Joint$450.00
Injen BellmouthYes304 Stainless3 Inches - No taper/Flex Joint$550.00
Invidia DivorcedYes304 Stainless3 Inches - No Taper/Flex Joint$500.00
Invidia BellmouthNo304 Stainless3 Inches - No Taper/Flex Joint$250.00
Invidia V2 BellmouthNo304 Stainless3 Inches - No Taper/Flex Joint - 2 O2 Bungs$275.00
Invidia V3 DivorcedNo304 Stainless3 Inches - No Taper/Flex Joint$290.00
Turbo XS BellmouthNo304 Stainless4 Inch Bellmouth to 3 Inch Piping - No Flex Joint$315.00

Exhaust Manifolds, or "Headers".
As almost all manifolds fit model years 2002-2012, this will be a one chart section. As such, confirm all fitment before purchasing as there may be minor differences for each manifold across the model years. Additionally, a considerable amount of manifolds include their own up-pipe section. I will include a column at the end to note if said manifold includes this piece. Additional information on up pipes can be found below this section.

The reason Subaru's (specifically FI models) have the trademark "rumble" is the design of the exhaust manifold. The uneven "pulses" from the pistons creates this effect. Manifolds are a highly detailed and technical subject and the debate between UEL and EL continues to rage on, but the general accepted truths are that an equal length manifold will have a much more even pulse distribution and shorter primaries to the collectors. Because of this, EL manifolds will typically nets larger gains, faster throttle response, quicker spool, and more top end power. The trademark "Boxer Rumble" however is no longer as present, and as such many individuals continue to run an UEL manifold to preserve the iconic sound. High horsepower cars can and do continue to be built using UEL, but often at a sacrifice of power as compared to EL.

WRX/STI 2002-2012 Exhaust Manifolds

ModelFeaturesRunnersCostIncludes
Up-Pipe
ETS Equal Length2.0 Diameter Big Turbo, 1.5 Diameter Stock. 2 Bolt Up-Pipe connectionEqual Length$850.00No
GTSpec 45mm Primaries, 304 Stainless Steel.
3 Bolt Up-Pipe connection
Both Equal and Unequal$630.00Yes
HKS42mm Primaries, 409 Stainless SteelEqual Length$630.00No
HKS304 Stainless Steel. 2 Bolt Up-Pipe connectionUnequal Length$1,250.00No
Invidia304 Stainless SteelEqual Length$1,025.00Incorporated
Invidia Big Piping38mm-49mm Primaries, 304 Stainless SteelEqual Length$1,025.00Incorporated
Invidia Race42mm Primaries, 304 Stainless SteelEqual Length$875.00No
KillerB Holy Header321 Stainless Steel - Full Review HereEqual Length$1,400.00No
LiteSpeed304 Stainless Steel - Dyno Results HereUnequal Length$700.00No
Nameless Equal Length*Not Yet ReleasedEqual Length*Not Yet Released*Not Yet Released
Tomei Equal Length304 Stainless Steel with a 3 Bolt Up-Pipe connection.
4-2-1 Design with 42.7mm-45mm-60mm.
Equal and Unequal Length$750.00Yes

Note: A variety of sources were used in the making of this post and while nothing has been directly copied, it can be stated that all information posted has a verifiable basis in fact and is not speculation. The moderators and ElitSTI team have/will continue to monitor this post for as much accuracy and foundation in fact as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
A few suggestions:
You might wanna edit the first two tables to be CBE instead of just "exhaust."
For manifolds/headers a seperate column for EL or UEL might enhance readability/searchability.
Also, for headers at least, maybe a column for material (321, 304, and some other inferior grades that I'm currently forgetting)
Similarly, with the downpipes, maybe another column for catted/catless.
Don't forget up-pipes!
Arent the headers the same for GD/GR?
Also, are you looking for every exhaust made? Just reputable ones? Currently in production?

As for actual content:
I have a GPMoto EL Header currently awaiting install. OBX makes a knockoff.
I also have a two piece perrin catted DP for my GD awaiting install.

Last edited:

R3V

A few suggestions:
You might wanna edit the first two tables to be CBE instead of just "exhaust."
For manifolds/headers a seperate column for EL or UEL might enhance readability/searchability.
Also, for headers at least, maybe a column for material (321, 304, and some other inferior grades that I'm currently)
Similarly, with the downpipes, maybe another column for catted/catless.
Don't forget up-pipes!
Arent the headers the same for GD/GR?
Also, are you looking for every exhaust made? Just reputable ones? Currently in production?

As for actual content:
I have a GPMoto EL Header currently awaiting install. OBX makes a knockoff.
I also have a two piece perrin catted DP for my GD awaiting install.

Not even close to being done yet dude.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I unstickied the thread for now... It needs to be finished first and all the qualified EliteSTi's should have a chance to review the content first.

Very nice work so far. It will be stickified when it is done and all arguments have been satisfied! :tup:

*** Note to self. Delete this post when complete***

R3V

I unstickied the thread for now... It needs to be finished first and all the qualified EliteSTi's should have a chance to review the content first.

Very nice work so far. It will be stickified when it is done and all arguments have been satisfied! :tup:

*** Note to self. Delete this post when complete***

I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me before it's done. Please add and edit as appropriate :)

Delete this post when the time comes too :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
This is the kind of great stuff we need and it can only serve to help us grow. Your support is greatly appreciated :tup:

R3V

This is the kind of great stuff we need and it can only serve to help us grow. Your support is greatly appreciated :tup:

Thank you, more to come. I have a dozen or so thread ideas written down on a sticky note. Primarily things that are often either glossed over or do not have supporting factual arguments.

R3V

Bring it on. I hate doing tedious things like writing threads like this... but will contribute as much as I can to understanding of the base principles.

I'm in that middle ground between the average car person, and the maniacs like you. Due to this, I both have lots of questions and almost as many answers. I figure while all of these new questions are budding, I can lay down all the things that got me to where I am now and use that to build an intelligible basis with which to work from.

:tard:

R3V

Good work. I'll be straight about me: I used to be like that. Used to like to write all kinds of threads. Now I'm finding myself forcing time for organizing and writing stuff like that. Not to mention the fact that keeping me from going off on rants that are about the all encompassing principles of the universe is rather difficult.

I've always enjoyed this sort of thing. Stuff like this + reviewing things + my photography are a triple threat!

R3V

In that case, I'm gonna cram your head full and let you write it all. :lmao:

Butt posted over Tapatalk

Works for me! I've updated the first post manifold section, take a peek? That's how I'm going to get the rest of it looking.

R3V

Don't forget Grimmspeed on headers.

Make sure you look over to our vendors for some help with the list of products. I know Moore Performance makes a TBE and a snazzy header.

Working on it, I want to fill in what I have now before adding more.

If anyone wants to post a list of shit to add, feel free.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Does anyone know what the ID measurement is on the factory exhaust manifold and up-pipe?

I THINK it's 1.75" but I'm having a hard time confirming this.

NESTI

i love this diagram, i was really curious as to how it all worked and this cleared up everything for me.... lol I'm a newb

ianboi

Working on it, I want to fill in what I have now before adding more.

If anyone wants to post a list of shit to add, feel free.

Ca you help with my plan please? I am looking at the COBB Catted Downpipe product code: 524202 and mate with Subaru Performance Tuning SPT Performance Exhaust System Item # D441SFG300. Will this two work? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I am not sure if the SPT is 2.5" or 3" but you ideally want the same diameter front to back. If it is only 2.5, In my opinion it will work fine but it won't be optimal. Have you looked into Invida? My neighbor has that on his STi and it seems like a top quality piece. Tuning wise it is six in one and half a dozen the other as long as it is 3"

The SPT's are also a bit pricey for my taste.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I believe the spt to be 2.5" and then 3" at the flange, so not fully 3". As holy said it may restrict flow a bit. Hard to tell because I get conflicting answers as to what and where the diameters change.

I love the sound of it but it's very pricey.

The Cobb downpipe is definitely reduced to 2.5" at the flange.

I have the Invidia downpipe and love it. It has proven reliable for nearly five years and is a full 3" pipe.