Thinking of changing my bottom EL header for an UL... opinions needed.

Bluedemon_II

Since I built the car with the cams and all I had the header installed. Power difference over stock was evident, but I had to put with the jdm subaru sound and to tell you the truth it is not sexy at all.

My Builder has a Tomey UL header that by things of life is a 3 bolt design. Now after looking at a few pictures "mine is a maddad v1 EL" the uppipe flange seams to line up in both headers.

My builder offered me to change bottom parts to see if they would fit, he knows that I'm not so happy with my sound profile now. I do miss the usdm rumble, a lot. The tuner in me says that I can compensate for a few hp lost from one design over to the other and that the difference wont affect me so much now and maybe at least 20whp later on. Still I'm nostalgic about hearing my car with an UL header and cams.

What would you guys say... now be nice this is more of an emotional thing lol.

He is willing to trade it to me if it fits with out problems.

LikaGhst

I'm running Perrin EL. Sure it takes some rumble away and I certainly do love the boxer rumble but I like being different because people will hear me coming and just be like what in the fuck is that!? I guess I just don't mind the loss because I sound different from majority of the other subies and that little bit of a power gain is awesome too but if you love the boxer rumble enough make the change dude!

Paul.c

Boxer rumble FTW! I would rather have the typical known boxer rumble of a subaru than to be mistaken for a Honda with a fart can. Power takes a back seat.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What he said ^^ :goodone:

Last edited:

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I love my el's some people can say it sounds like a honda, then the 2 ewg's open and I'm FLYING past them :D

Bluedemon_II

Yea but I will be passing them by with my Vgt single scroll little monster :D I think I will go to my mechanic soon lol. Getting really bored at the sound. I think this is where you actually know that you like what a car stands for, not only performance.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I feel you on the sound though, not gonna lie. When I first got my Perrin el's I almost wanted to cry cuz I had no more rumble. Kinda the same reason why I got the CWII cf hood. To keep the prestigious hood scoop of the Subaru. :) Go for it. Get it tuned and see how much hp/tq/response difference there is and post it!!

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
idk bout yall but i can hear an el'd subie just as easy as an uel one aside from other imports like hondas. i can still hear the rumble its just more rapid (to my ear),

AirManCam

I love the sound of my EL header. I also love the subie rumble too..I've had thoughts about going to a GT spec UEL, but idk..too many subies around here, and none sound like mine :)

Bluedemon_II

Heat transfer I can solve with coatings and make them more effective than the stock collectors. They are quite heavy in comparison. I don't know I will give them a try since my mechanics car is down for the mean time due to an accident.

Meh let's see when I get to make the change. The Aem should be able to compensate.

Bluedemon_II

Well the Un= is in. And I must say that I'm in love with the sound of my car again! Also I noticed that lower end torque is better. Maybe is has to do with the fact that this header has a 4 to 1 design runners instead of the 2 to 1 design for each side of the = length. Spool seams about the same too but had to do some tweaks in the ems to keep it similar so that changed a bit.