TMIC fan mod Q&A

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Depending on the intercooler (front mount even) and fans used, has anyone mounted fans on the backside of the IC to pull air through the unit?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] how was this to wire?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
As of right now its just mounted. Nothing wired yet. Ask [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] how the wiring is since hes done it. Im waiting for everything to be ready before it gets hooked up. For now its eye candy! :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Why didn't you hook it up yet?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
George is making a control module for everything to work in a specific way. Scroll up to post #16 .

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Saw that. Didn't know if you got it yet.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Can't wait to see it all done.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Here's what I want to do:

-Remove the stereo and all speakers. (The wiring can stay... for now anyways)
-Get a hollowed out center console plastic piece.
-Bondo/fab up that piece to hold the modulator. (Can someone teach me how to do this, pretty please? :D )

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow looking pretty! Whatre the dimensions of that?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So awesome.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Here are the values that i'm going to be doing some temperature logging for when the time comes:

-Cruising at 30 mph
-Cruising at 60 mph
-Standstill

In the locations where George wants the temperature sensors to go to. I was taking a look at Romraider now to see if there are any values I can log now to see, but unfortunately, there aren't. I did see that there is an oil temp sensor, so I am going to take a look and see how long it takes for the oil to truly warm up after the coolant is ready.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I don't want this to head off topic but I wondered... Have you measured or logged intake air temperatures? If so, what seems to be normal while driving? Also, this one is probably best answered by [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] but anyone can feel free to chime in: What sensor measures IATs and where is it located? Also, is the Cobb AP an accurate measure of IATs? I know it can be shady in some measurements, but if it's only displaying what a sensor is sending (via the ECU) then I suppose it's accurate.

The reason I ask is because I'm curious what the temp differences may be between TMICs and FMICs. Also, I wondered if you logged any of that data before you installed the fans, Alin. That data, and the data taken after installing the fans would be interesting to see, if the sensor is in the intake manifold or throttle body.

Lastly, I've heard about "sub-ambient post IC temps". Is this true or even reasonable? I've never really measured IATs and I'd love to now, but my AP shit the bed and I need to send it back to Cobb for repair/replacement.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
IATs are measured and MAF. IIRC? Not the best place IMO. I think they should be measured after the IC.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Oh, and I think as close to ambient as possible is what the goal is for the IAT.
I did some logging and they can creep up very high especially when at a standstill. 130-150*. After wrapping my CAI they dropped a fair amount.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
IATs are measured and MAF. IIRC? Not the best place IMO. I think they should be measured after the IC.

^ At the MAF?

That makes a little bit of difference for me as my MAF is blow through, after the IC.