TMIC fan mod Q&A

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
This is what im imagining: if you run it all times, it would suck cool air from the wheel well, blow it into the intake, and blow the hot air trying to bypass the heatshield out all at the same time. Is that how it would work?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Stop Thinking!!! :tard:

:rofl: i just want to think of efficient mods that you dont see anyone else doing!!! But i dont have the knowledge you guys have with how some things actually work! (Like the intecooler you explained)

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
This is what im imagining: if you run it all times, it would suck cool air from the wheel well, blow it into the intake, and blow the hot air trying to bypass the heatshield out all at the same time. Is that how it would work?

As long as the fan is powerful enough, then yes.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Garbage!!!! 4" fans with 100cfm.... It would have to be a 4" cause theres barely any room. I found a duct piece with a 12v fan. Its a 3" fan that attaches inside the duct with 100cfm. Is 100cfm going to make ANY difference whatsoever?!?! The two fans for the tmic are rated at 1550cfm.....

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I dont think 100cfm is much, but when sitting idle, its better than nothing. You probably need to find something more powerful.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Check out the first one on this list for 252cfm:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36...s-12_Volt_Fans_by_CFM-200_CFM_Fans-Page1.html

Would it be possible to hook it up to the car?

From what I was reading, the fan pushes out a lot of air for normal use in a computer. 250 might be just enough for the intake. Let me know what you guys think and if it's compatible to fit to the car.

I'd say a computer fan isn't going to work well and in this circumstance a smaller squirrel cage or squirrel box fan what ever they are called would work best. You can mount one in a stable place and use ducting to pull from the fog light snorkel and use ducting to push it around the air filter or in to a custom air box that the air filter could sit in.

But if you ask me it seems like allot of work just to get a cooler air temp going to the intake and a cold air intake with a fog light snorkel would probably produce the same results.

Now maybe a squirrel cage fan ducted to the intercooler or oil, transmission cooler could be a concept that one could use.

I come from the black sheep corvair motor back ground and was going to use this type of fan X2 to cool the air cooled corvair engine removing the stock nightmare of a corvair fan.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Can you like me to a "squirrel cage fan"? [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION]

You just have to ask your self if its worth the extra weight and cost of doing a mod like this on a subaru intake when you can use the hood scoop or fog light housing as a funnel or snorkel for some ducting.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
$140, 12 pounds for 465cfm.... Not worth it.

I was hoping it would be possible to do something along the same lines as the TMIC, but the small fans don't produce shit. 100cfm is garbage and wont impact anything. If the smaller fans produced at least 400-500cfm, then there would be a possibility. However, thus far, it's not looking promising. I'm going to keep on looking around in hopes of finding something out there that will work. The duct for the intake is already on, so it's good as it is now. I'm just looking to expand on this as much as possible, especially if it's going to be inexpensive! :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

I don't think any fan on earth will over come the pressure differential caused by the intake of air itself. It will draw a vacuum on on the cold air box and the fan will never be strong enough to overcome that differential and pressurize the box.

Doppleganger's solution of ducting air from outside is better :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I don't think any fan on earth will over come the pressure differential caused by the intake of air itself. It will draw a vacuum on on the cold air box and the fan will never be strong enough to overcome that differential and pressurize the box.

Doppleganger's solution of ducting air from outside is better :tup:

Well, wouldn't it work the same way as the TMIC fans? You have the hood scoop directing air in. For the intake, you have the duct directing air in. Is this not the same concept? http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthr...ermarket-intakes&p=96784&viewfull=1#post96784

I've actually put allot if time in to thinking of how to make a good cold air box induction system on mine Alin.

I originally considered using the hood scoop but that would be a real PITA due to the need of opening and closing the hood. Best solution would be to disconnect the scoop from the hood and mount the scoop on a permanent bracket with an air box that uses ducting to your cold air box. Kind of like a MOPAR shaker hood principle but thats a real PITA.

The most realistic solution is use the fog light as your outside air source and make an air box in the inner fender wheel well for a CAI or in the engine bay for a non CAI.

You can make a box out of fiberglass, epoxy or aluminum then put some type of heat reflective material on it. It would also be wise to use heat wrap on the intake tube thats exposed to the open engine bay.

Since my inner wheel well cover is missing due to running over a cone on a freeway (truck beside me ran it over and spit it out in front of me). I will be making some type of air box in the inner fender for my CAI and using the fog light to route the cold air to it eventually. The hardest thing will be deciding on how to access the air filter.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Woah that naca duct is sick!!!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
scoobie005.jpg

What is on the turbo?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!