top mount or front mount intercooler?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I also don't think a FMIC is a good option until your going larger turbo, like FP red or blacks or GT30 or 35 type turbos.
I think the reason subaru decided on the top mount is simply to reduce lag. The exhaust manifolds and up pipe are so long that that in itself creates a delay in boost response. The top mount with very short plumbing from the turbo makes up for some of that lag. The smaller turbos just don't move enough air to efficiently fill all of that IC plumbing and make a desirable outcome in regards to spool.
Sure, people may argue that they notice little lag or just alter your driving style to compensate but I really don't like the idea of a FMIC for most applications or turbos, sans the big boys.
I'd just take extra heat precautions like wrapping turbos and downpipes, among a few.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hold off on an intercooler swap until you are going to upgrade the turbo. Like many have said, even with a larger turbo, you may still want to run a TMIC. A TMIC acts in a way as an additional intake plenum. This keeps throttle and boost response quick and crisp.

This is not absolute, but the rule of thumb tends to be that a TMIC will handle up to a GT30 turbo. Anything larger generally necessitates a FMIC. I have a GT3071 and a FMIC. In hindsight, I wish I would have tried a TM, but in the future I do hope to almost max out this turbo so I chose FM. Your entire build needs to be in sync with all upgrades supporting each other.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
You can also cover the IC's end caps with thermo-reflective tape. If the stock turbo heat shield has been removed, either put it back on or wrap the turbo's hot side.....or both. :lol:

Alter3go

FMIC is a supporting mod in preparation for more power if that's your route. If you want more turbo lag on stock I would go with the FMIC. If you go more power your stock TMIC will handle a beating if stay with that for a while. Cross the bridge when you get there instead of making your car run less than optimum respectfully.

Also if you're worried about heat soak there are tons of cheap mods to not so much rid your car of it but make it more resistant, but be careful with that too much isn't so good for the vehicle you got to find the right balance for your needs

zax

My suggestion is, and always will be, to go with an AWIC. Benefits of the FMIC and TMIC with none of the flaws. Complexity and weight being primary considerations.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
My suggestion is, and always will be, to go with an AWIC. Benefits of the FMIC and TMIC with none of the flaws. Complexity and weight being primary considerations.

Make a new thread please! :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, well let me tell you. I have never seen an STi with an AWIC setup before. That looks really weird. Does anyone have any before and after AWIC? Also, cost of such a swap?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Wouldn't the water heat up after long extended hard driving such as high speed tracks and rally, therefore reducing cooling efficiency? Ambient air cooling water a less of a rate the more the system is taxed? Basically heat soaking the water. Whereas as an air to air setup seeing ambient temps across the core, so long as the car is in motion?

35r

^^^^^ what he said. Plus these cars have enough problems, i dont want to have to start being a plumber. "I have no boost because i blew a hot water line!".... Sounds like more of a pain than a gain.

zax

Wouldn't the water heat up after long extended hard driving such as high speed tracks and rally, therefore reducing cooling efficiency? Ambient air cooling water a less of a rate the more the system is taxed? Basically heat soaking the water. Whereas as an air to air setup seeing ambient temps across the core, so long as the car is in motion?

Not quite. Heat transfer between air and warm water is still more effective than the (primarily radiative) transfer from air-air. Yes soak can become an issue, but with a reservoir and enough coolant that can be alleviated. An AWIC should remove more energy from a system compared to an air to air radiator. I'd love to do the thermal analysis, perhaps this weekend. As Alin suggested, perhaps I can write an FAQ.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Not quite. Heat transfer between air and warm water is still more effective than the (primarily radiative) transfer from air-air. Yes soak can become an issue, but with a reservoir and enough coolant that can be alleviated. An AWIC should remove more energy from a system compared to an air to air radiator. I'd love to do the thermal analysis, perhaps this weekend. As Alin suggested, perhaps I can write an FAQ.

Would love to read it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

Please do. I have a lot of questions as to how it actually works. Also with an AWIC, you can potentially elimiate the hood scoop, right? I was looking online at some pics of the setup. Definitely different and unique. Also, what would cost be like as opposed to a bigger TMIC or a FMIC swap?

We need the thread! :lol: