GR Tyler's 2010 AW STI SE: Stage 2 and counting!

06STI360

Well Merry Christmas guys and gals!

I got some goodies for my car for Christmas!!

Yes I know its only 8:30 but I have already installed and test driven my car with its new Beatrush pitchstop mount! By far the best non power mod I have ever done to my car, you have way more engine feel in the pedals and steering wheel. I got the forged one and there is a good amount of noise you can hear from it but I like it! I have no idea what they cost but its worth however much it is. :lol: Took less than 30 min to install.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

06STI360

Well look at my thread all dead and shit, lol. Guess thats what I get for not having any goodies to install for the past few weeks. Car is running pretty good, since my commute has changed and I am mostly city driving now my gas mileage had dropped to around 15.5. :lol: I have been having a slight issue with a "phantom knock" at very low rpm/low load, I have never actually seen it pop up on my AP but it usually registers -1.4* in the history portion in the bottom corner. I logged for a good hour yesterday and wasn't able to recreate it. At any rate its probably not a big deal.

I washed my car the other day for the first time in god knows how long lol and noticed my front bumper is pretty chipped up already, gotta love that Subaru paint! I will probably swing it by the dealership to see what they think since it seems pretty crazy for a car with 19K miles on it to have so much damage.

Has anyone had any luck with paint issues(besides those on the rear door) covered under warranty?

06STI360

Holycrap I needs your help!!

Last night driving home I went to pass someone in 6th gear, I pushed the gas the car hesitated a little bit then went along normal. As I was getting out the gas it surged a little bit. I was monitoring boost because it was cold so I switched to kc and tried the same thing again, instant -2.8* timing pulled so I got out of it and drove carefully home.

When I got home I reset the ecu with the AP and brake pedal method, reloaded the map and started it up and let it idle to normal temp then took it for a drive. Feels fine with no knock but my DAM is steady at 0.4 after my 20 minute drive to work. Any ideas as to what changed or what could be wrong? I haven't done anything to the car since going stage 2 and its been hiccup free until now.

I'm kinda thinking bad gas but would that make it act the way it is?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sounds like bad gas!

06STI360

I sure hope so.. I bought gas at a station I don't usually go too because its really slow but I was in a pinch. Anyway she's on empty so we will find out today if that's the case. Crossing my fingers!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Where did you get gas from, Sheetz? What brand did you put in her?

06STI360

It was from a chevron, but I live in a small town so I don't usually go to it since it doesn't get a lot of customers.
I usually go to the shell or chevron by my work which are much busier And cheaper..

I filled up at shell this evening, DAM is back to 1.0 but I still had a few 1.4* timing pulls in mid 6th gear at WOT, probably not a big deal and I'm sure it will go away once the ECU relearns a bit.. I'm just going to blame it on some bad gas and move on.

Changing the oil tomorrow, picked up some Shell Rotella T6 that I will be trying this time around.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Gotta be bad fuel for sure. Now you need a cool avatar, lol!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Become a "SPONSOR" of IGOTASTi.com :)

06STI360

I knew there was a catch! :lol:

In other news, im still getting knock..sigh. I ended up just using my AP to retard the timing 1* and it seems to have fixed it for now until I can figure out what is going on. I did run some fuel system cleaner through it this fill up so I don't know if that stuff lowers octane or what but who knows.

Back to square one I guess.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Sorry for my tardyness. I'm always late to a party LOL. Do you think you could post a log? This sounds like it could be bad gas as JJ and you pointed out

It was from a chevron, but I live in a small town so I don't usually go to it since it doesn't get a lot of customers.
I usually go to the shell or chevron by my work which are much busier And cheaper..

I filled up at shell this evening, DAM is back to 1.0 but I still had a few 1.4* timing pulls in mid 6th gear at WOT, probably not a big deal and I'm sure it will go away once the ECU relearns a bit.. I'm just going to blame it on some bad gas and move on.

Changing the oil tomorrow, picked up some Shell Rotella T6 that I will be trying this time around.

Last edited:

06STI360

I can post a log of what its doing now, I have filled up at 2 different stations and companies now ( first was chevron, new gas is from a shell) and I'm still having the problem. FWIW it seems to only be happening now at initial throttle tip in shifting spiritedly between 4th and 5th and 5th and 6th. Using my AP to retard timing 1 degree the problem goes away. But I will take a log tonight and see if I can make it do it.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I knew there was a catch! :lol:

In other news, im still getting knock..sigh. I ended up just using my AP to retard the timing 1* and it seems to have fixed it for now until I can figure out what is going on. I did run some fuel system cleaner through it this fill up so I don't know if that stuff lowers octane or what but who knows.

Back to square one I guess.

It's for a good cause! Holy will fix your car, lol!

06STI360

Okay I was able to get a few decent logs on the way home. The first one is on the freeway and shows my light high gear knock. The second one is on surface streets and has a 1st to mid third gear WOT pull. Also at the end of the second log there is some of that weird shifting knock I was talking about. FYI I reset the ignition timing to 0 before I did the pulls. Current fuel is Shell 91 oct. w/ 1 container of STP fuel system cleaner. AP is running v 1.04 ACN stage 2 LWG and was reset about 75 miles ago.

First log:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArXMOKFm7pm8dE5YLUxlN2dIYU13ZGtGWm9GZDNBY0E&authkey=CN68zuYJ&hl=en#gid=0

pull is from 607-633

Second log:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArXMOKFm7pm8dHprU052WWlZVEppZ245eVMtc3F4WVE&authkey=CKb15KMM&hl=en#gid=0

1st to third pull is from 571-599

Weird shift knock is 724-727

Thanks for your help!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hmmm. Those logs look pretty damn good actually. Fuel Trims are great.

What knock there is, is of little concern really and can probably be attributed to the spt cleaner and even then it is not very interesting. Though it does occur during WOT it is not intense enough to do any harm. If you look at what the ECU is doing there you will see that your total timing is still greater than base timing which tells me that the computer is adding timing to the point at which it hears knock and then backs it off until it stops.

The ECU is doing its job quite well here. Also observe that there is NO learned knock which is a good thing. This means there where no significant events that occurred long enough to register learned data. YAY!

I would say continue to run your AP with one less degree of timing until you are sure there is perfect gas in the tank.

Or get you self a gallon of toluene and put that in the tank and see if your knock goes away. That way you will know it is the gas you are using.

You are using a 91 stage two map, correct? Do you have access to 93?

06STI360

See holy this is why I like you lol. Yes I'm running a stage 2 ACN 91 map, I have no access to 93 but I do have access to 100 at the pump for only 8.75 a gallon lol. Maybe I should throw a gal in? I'm down to half tank almost.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
See Holy love us all. That's gonna cost you a sponsorship, lol!!!!! Glad nothing is wrong with your STi.