what boost should i run?

saintswrx

so about 7 weeks ago a spun a rod bearing on my 02 wrx i then bought a replacement used engine in town. turns out the engine i bought had the bearings starting to go out luckily we caught it before we put it in. So we had that engine taken apart sent to the machine shop everything was cleaned and chemical dipped also crank was machined and balanced and polished. we used acl rod and main bearings and wiseco pistion rings. well we were doing this we did a few upgrades. So for total upgrades i have 3" exhaust upipe, downpipe, unequal length header, short ram intake, 1000cc injectors, stage 2 clutch, lightweight flywheel, 20g turbo and tuned on E85 what do you guys think i should run for boost on my old set up with stock turbo clutch and flywheel i ran 20 psi and that was fun but id like a little better out of this:D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What boost do you think you should be running?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It really depends on how much power you are looking for. Running the 20G at 20psi is going to be way different than the stock turbo on 20psi primarily because of the increased flow and up top performance. It will hold boost much better than the stocker so you might want to try it at 20psi to see how you like it.

The 20G performs best while boosting anything from 16 to 22 psi but is capable of 24 psi if you have an adequate intercooler. I have seen people get as much as 450whp out of them but that is usually while pushing it to the max and running e85, which you are doing so you are half way there.

The only thing that may be holding you back at this point is the rods. You are still using the stock rods I assume? I wouldn't take them much past 400whp IMO :tup:

saintswrx

i would like to have more power then before but like u said i want to be carefull with the rods as well so im not sure what psi on a 20g would be better the the 20psi i was running on the stock turbo i was think between 350whp and 370whp would be good but not sure what psi should get me in that range

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
On my old setup I was running a 20G on E85 and similar mods as you and I was doing 387whp with only 18psi. I would say try it at 20. Should still be safe for the rods. :tup:

John

I say go for 20psi

Do you have a FMIC or the TMIC still? with a decent FMIC, you will be able to push a little more boost. 20 psi is a lot of air lol