Zack's '12 OBP STi Hatch, Da Money Pit

ZackUSAF82

Just joined, created a garage and I figured I might as well start a journal as well. I know you guys want pics...I'll add more soon (when the weather gets better, ugh). Here's what I have and what I have planned:

Engine:
Killer B Motorsport Radiator Shroud
Killer B Motorsport Alternator Cover
Cobb SF Intake and Airbox
Magnaflow 3" exhaust
IAG EL Header
IAG Uppipe (EWG)
Invidia Catless Downpipe
Tial 38mm Wastegate with dump tube
GrimmSpeed EBCS
Walbro 255 LPH FP
ID 1000cc Injectors
05 STI FPR
GrimmSpeed Turbo Heat Shield
GrimmSpeed TMIC
Torque Solutions Pitch Stop
Crawford AOS
Killer B Oil pickup and baffle
Omni 4-bar Map Sensor
E-85/93 Pro-tune by Cleo at IAG

Interior:
Cobb AP V3
Kartboy SS
Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings
AEM Wideband UEGO AFR Gauge
AEM Digital Boost Gauge
Autometer 2 1/2" Single Gauge Pod (2)
Zeitronix ECA

Suspension:
RCE Yellow Springs

Far out plans:
Dom 1.5 XTR
Perrin 3" turbo inlet
TGV Deletes & Phenolic Spacers
Airpump delete
IAG fuel rails and upgraded fuel lines
Another pro-tune
New wheels and summer tires
Kartboy front/rear endlinks
Whiteline 24mm front/rear sways and bushings

That's the plan for right now, things will change I'm sure and I'll update my journal accordingly. Opinions, thoughts, post whoring and all other general forum banter are welcome in this thread. :D

Attachments

• 1074378_693387437380148_1746492205_o.jpg
    1074378_693387437380148_1746492205_o.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 86

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Subscribed!

ZackUSAF82

Here's some new pics after washing and detailing the inside today (just for you alinro):

IMAG0062_zps5bacd098.jpg

IMAG0063_zps6df906fd.jpg

IMAG0065_zps8e648af5.jpg

ZackUSAF82

I like those rims!

Why the FPR from an 05?

Thanks! They were super cheap at Tire Rack last year, I think I paid 80-85 bucks a piece for them on sale and they look decent enough for my Blizzaks for the winter.

The FPR is to smooth out a fuel issue on GR STis around 4000 RPMs...it really doesn't do much for HP but it will make the powerband smoother and it's only 88 bucks. It's also supposed to help out with knocking as well. Well worth it IMO, anything that is going to make my mod path safer is a must for me as this is my DD...

Grinder34

Track Monkey
IIRC there's an even cheaper method of fixing that issue. Something like just adding in a bit of fuel line that helps eliminate a standing wave...or something.

ZackUSAF82

I've heard that doesn't permanently fix the issue but I believe we're going to do that too just to be safe. I'm literally doing everything I've researched and read about to try and make this mod path as reliable as possible so we'll see. Hopefully things will go well and I'll get 3-4 years before I need to build my motor. If not, oh well, I've already got a nest egg saved up to build it whenever it happens, I'd just prefer it not be anytime soon... ;)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well, you might want to add an oil pickup to your mod list, if you're throwing the book at it. The OEM ones are known to break, causing oil starvation, and costing you a motor.

ZackUSAF82

I tried to factor it in but it's just not going to happen this time, just don't have the extra money and the shop doesn't have the time unfortunately. I'm hoping it'll last until next year when I do the TMIC/TGV Deletes and a couple other things. I'm definitely going with the Killer B unit when I do decide to do the upgrade, I'll probably upgrade the pan as well. Wish I could do it now but I don't drive my car like I stole it all the time and adding the loud assed EWG is going to help keep me from mashing on it all the time as well. I think I'll be fine, I actually haven't read about too many 12+ oil pickup failures so I think as long as I drive smart I'll be ok.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
replace EWG with oil pickup! EWG wont get you performance. And IIRC, the pickup hasn't been redesigned, so you've still got the same failure-prone unit on yours as all the rest of us. Chances are your pickup wont fail, but its nice to *know* that it wont. But yeah, dont go EWG until you've got a reason.

I got an oil pickup for like $110 i think, and did the install myself. Then did the same on a buddy's car (Vermont on the forums). Its really only a few hours. I even have a how-to on the site.

ZackUSAF82

Well if it's easy then I'll do it, maybe at the Mod meet. ;) And I definitely want the EWG, I don't want to have to worry about boost control, my car has serious boost control issues and there's no guarantee the tune/EBCS is going to cure it. I have to run the 91 octane LWG Cobb OTS map to keep from having overboost issues as it is...plus I'm going to be running a catless Invidia DP which leads to even more boost creep/overboost issues.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'd post up about your boost control issues, its something we might be able to help you with--because that's definitely not normal. It could be indicative of something more serious, that an EWG would mask.

Its your car, but IAG should be able to get you boost control without the EWG, unless there's something else wrong with your car (cracked wastegate, bad boost sensor, etc...)

ZackUSAF82

They are definitely going to check it out but in all honesty they sell a kit with their headers, up and EWG for 1099 so it's not like I'm spending a ton of money on a EWG. You could easily spend over 1200 just on a header alone but I know guys that have been running theres for 50k miles with no issues so that's why I went this route. I do agree with you that they SHOULD be able to control the boost but every tuner I talked to said it's not guaranteed unless you run a EWG...to me it makes sense and cents in this case. I'd rather have the peace of mind of having the EWG and them checking everything out to make sure I don't have any pre-existing issues.

And on the oil pickup, I read your write-up, really good! Thanks for doing it...now I need to find a way to get you to come up here and help me do it since you stated it takes two people... ;) And thanks for all the tips on the build, I appreciate it and hope you realize I'm not taking it for granted, just trying to explain my reasoning for my mod path.

ZackUSAF82

Pic from this morning the wife took, sorry you can't see the whole car but I was more concerned with clearing the snow vice taking pics... :p

snow.jpg

ZackUSAF82

Just finalized things with IAG so I'm all set for next week. This time next week they'll be finishing up the install process and then next Saturday I get my pro-tune. Can't wait!!!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Tell JJ at IAG we said hi. ;)

ZackUSAF82

Will do, he's good people, along with Rick who has really cut me some great deals on the parts to help me fit everything under my budget!

ZackUSAF82

Tomorrow's the big day, gonna be hard to sleep tonight...lol. It's also going to be nice to be out of the office for a couple days since I turned this into a little mini vacation. Can't wait to see how my car does on the dyno Saturday morning!

ZackUSAF82

Sitting in the IAG showroom as I type this, car should be going back in a few so we can discuss gauge placement and a couple other things. Very excited and it's a great shop, Rick showed me the entire shop telling me the whole life story of it, very cool! Never had that experience at any other shops I've used in the past for other vehicles. I'll try and post pictures of what I can as I will be hanging out here and "working" until the wife gets here later. So exciting!!!