Zack's '12 OBP STi Hatch, Da Money Pit

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I totally understand. Look on the bright side, suspension mods like sways, endlinks and bushing are waaayyy under rated.
You'll enjoy those! :tup:

ZackUSAF82

Agreed, and a lot cheaper, relatively speaking anyways. ;) We'll see what happens and I'll keep you guys posted on my build! :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
meh. Better IC is always good, but i'd wait. Who knows, you may end up with something sexy like a FMIC with a big turbo. I'd either save the money or put it to a few extra bushings, short shift kit, etc... where you'll actually notice it right now.

ZackUSAF82

Already have the SS with bushings, that was my favorite mod of my whole build...love how notchy the shifting is now and the fact that 4th to 5th isn't a country mile anymore... ;)

Oh and Grinder, I'm still waiting to hear back from you on when you want to come up and help me do the oil pickup....free food from the smoker (your choice) and drinks... You know you can't say no to that... :D

ZackUSAF82

To be honest I haven't thought a little whole lot about it, I'm still not sold I'll go that route unless the engine goes and I have to build it. I definitely don't want a monster that will lag and kill the low end...plus I wouldn't want any more than 400 WHP anyways.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I was in the same boat as you. Decided to stick with the stock TMIC and put money elsewhere.
It gets bastard hot here in the summer, lots of ninety and one hundred degree days with little cooling at night. No issues with the TMIC but you might consider some wraps and other heat isolation with the hot parts to help the TMIC.

ZackUSAF82

Yeah I stayed away from the wrap due to fire concerns (I told you guys I'm a paranoid dude) but I should have ceramic coated the stuff before I had it put on...such is life though, I baby the car 95% of the time so I doubt I'll have too much work of an issue.

Alter3go

A lot of people don't realize how much potential the stock turbo has and you get the stock turbo rebuilt with lighter parts including billet wheels for a fraction of the price. If you're looking to save money http://6starspeed.com is a good website to stiZzart. It's like 650 or so for a stock "upgrade"

ZackUSAF82

I've got a pretty good assortment of tools but if there's anything out of the ordinary we may need let me know and I'll pick it up. As far as garage, it's tight but I can move the kids crap out so we have more room plus we'll be under the car anyways...I'm gonna invest in some better jack stands and I need a set of ramps anyways so I'll have all that before we do it. I was just kidding anyways, but if you're willing to help I'll be glad to feed you or compensate you, I really appreciate the help and love learning how to do stuff!

ZackUSAF82

And here I thought it was time to start fishing....ugh.

IMAG0096.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Holy cow man.... It stopped here but the salt hasnt gone away yet. Was 25-30 today and expected to hit 55 tomorrow.......

Im glad the snow is over with though. Too much this year!!

ZackUSAF82

So had an interesting trip to Lowe's this evening, I was sitting at a traffic light on a busy road and a dude in a Dodge Dakota pulled up next to me (I had my windows down) and stopped to ask me if my exhaust was stock. I said no, it's a full 3" Magnaflow and he commented on how awesome it looked. Pretty cool/odd at the same time...dude was getting honked at for holding up traffic...lol. That's a first for me.

For an update on my car, all is well...I've been having intermittent tip-in knock but I've talked with my tuner and he's not concerned and we've written it off as benign for now. Just drives me bonkers as it doesn't always do it but it rarely goes above 2.45 and the highest I've seen is 3.15 so I'm not too worried...just hate seeing any knock whether it's real or fake. I've also discovered that there's E-85 closer than I thought so I may be going in and getting re-tuned for that this month...we'll see! I'll keep you guys posted and let you know what I decide. Take care guys and gals!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Always appreciate comments as you dont get them that often. Well not me anyways! :lol:

Sweet. Moar powar! :fuji: :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Wait and get tuned on summer E85. You'll start getting lean condition codes if you tune on winter or spring/fall blends and then try to use the summer blend.
Get an ethanol tester to keep track of when the blends change.
Coming from experience... Lol

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wait and get tuned on summer E85. You'll start getting lean condition codes if you tune on winter or spring/fall blends and then try to use the summer blend.
Get an ethanol tester to keep track of when the blends change.
Coming from experience... Lol

Interesting. Why does this happen?

ZackUSAF82

Yeah I'd love to upgrade the TMIC now too but I really just don't want to because I think I'm going to go rotated in a year or so...so it'd be a waste of money. I know I could re-sell it but I won't get what I paid and I just am having a hard time wanting to do it for the extra 10-20 ponies...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Buy a used tmic then. Best of both worlds. Especially if you get a killer deal.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Interesting. Why does this happen?

E85 varies in its ethanol content based on seasons and location.
In spring, fall and winter the ethanol content is lower, usually 70%-80%. This helps on cold starts. The content further increases to 80-85 in the summer.
What this means is that if you tune on winter/fall/spring blend, you'll have a lower ethanol content and be tuned that way for that fuel. When the ethanol content changes for the summer or anytime, away from what your tuned for, you'll run lean.
Conversely, if tuned for summer and going to another seasonal blend, you'll run rich.
A bit rich is better.
So far I've been able to compensate by adding gas to the mix when the season changes, since I'm tuned on winter blend.