Zack's '12 OBP STi Hatch, Da Money Pit

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Say hi from us. ;)

ZackUSAF82

Already did, JJ said hey back...lol. Love this place! :D

ZackUSAF82

Well, this is what I get for hanging out at the shop, I ended up adding on a used full 3" magnaflow exhaust that just came off a car yesterday...dude wanted something louder I guess. Got a great deal and free install, couldn't pass that up to get rid of my custom crap set up that was rusting worse than I thought. Good times, not for the bank or if the wife finds out though. . . :p

ZackUSAF82

They were super busy today so I didn't get time to take any car pics but here are a couple shots of the shop itself:

IMAG0074_zps3bf0f527.jpg

IMAG0073_zps28d4a927.jpg

I should have plenty of time to take pics on Saturday for the tune...they literally started working on my car as soon as I got there so they can finish everything up since I'm the first tune of the day on Saturday. I'll post more pics and the dyno slip ASAP Saturday...I promise! ;)

ZackUSAF82

Made 309 whp and 342 torque....I'll upload a better slip when I get home this evening...very happy!!!!8

IMAG0076.jpg

ZackUSAF82

Dyno Jet is correct, very very happy with the numbers. I've attached a better scan of the dyno slip. Man the car is so much fun to drive but the EWG is so loud I definitely have to pick and choose when to have fun now... ;) Other than that it's totally awesome, couldn't be happier!

DynoSlip_zps50f97596.jpg

ZackUSAF82

IMAG0075.jpg

Sorry I don't have more pics or video...I won't lie I didn't care for the tuning process, I found it stressful. I'm kind of a nervous/worrier type person and all I could think of is "Oh God, he's going to blow up my car"...lol. But I did wash my car today and I am going to do some detailing tomorrow so I'll post more pics tomorrow, I promise!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I bet you feel the difference now. These cars are so much more enjoyable when you have a nice tune.

ZackUSAF82

Oh yeah, HUGE difference. It pulls like CRAZY now and the throttle response is amazing....just have to be careful about when I open it up with the EWG...it draws just a LITTLE bit of attention. ;)

I can always plumb it back into the downpipe if it causes me any issues but I think I'll be fine...I really don't beat on my car very often.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I can always plumb it back into the downpipe if it causes me any issues but I think I'll be fine...I really don't beat on my car very often.

Or you could be a rebel...cut a hole in the hood and plumb the EWG runner out the hole....blowing fire when you hit full boost. :lol:

ZackUSAF82

Here's some more pics for you all...

IMAG0077_zps75e39535.jpg

IMAG0078_zps15d40ddf.jpg

IMAG0079_zps6630d11d.jpg

IMAG0080_zps59c78d50.jpg

IMAG0081_zps586dc872.jpg

IMAG0082_zps99f4e5c7.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sweetness!

Looking good!!

ZackUSAF82

So I'm planning my next round of mods which includes suspension work (sways, endlinks, bushings etc) and a Killer B oil pickup but I also may be able to get a good deal on an ETS TMIC, do you all think it would be beneficial to do the I/C now? I definitely have plans for a bigger turbo down the road but not any time soon...but Jorge told me during my tune that the stock TMIC was definitely costing me some power to keep things safe. I honestly don't care if it adds much power but if it makes things safer I'm definitely down for doing it. Obviously I'll need another tune to really utilize the I/C but that's not a big deal to me. So do you all think it's worth doing the I/C now or should I just wait until I go with a bigger turbo/TGV deletes etc? Thanks as always for the insight guys and gals!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
That's totally dependent on your budget for time and money. If you just can't scratch that itch for more power, think about installing the TGV deletes, TMIC and phenolic spacers and get tuned. Those will allow for a little more power, but probably also a smoother delivery of power across the band, as well as being good stepping stone mods before going with a bigger turbo. Make sure you do your research before choosing TGV deletes to make sure everything is going to fit right in the end. Some brands don't have enough clearance to refit a 3" turbo inlet. Phenolic spacers seem to do a good job and are relatively cheap, so don't forget those. It's a good opportunity to install them while working on the TGVs anyway.

ZackUSAF82

I considered doing the TGV deletes with the spacers this time but they were very labor intensive so I held back on them...but I definitely get where you're coming from. I definitely wouldn't be comfortable doing them myself, not without someone who's done it before with me. So much stuff to take off/unhook that I'd be afraid of missing something when putting it back together. I'm just torn as I really don't care much about the power but I do know that adding a more efficient TMIC would make the power I do have much safer for when the heat and humdiity ramp up here in MD. I'm sure the stocker will do ok but I'm just extra paranoid now (it's just how I'm wired...lol). We'll see, I may be getting a bonus in April so if that happens I might just go ahead and do it...I just figured I'd get some opinions before I decided where to spend my money. Thanks for the ideas bud.