2004 JBP STI Build

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I finally decided to start a build thread for my STi which is way passed due. So a little bit of info on my baby. I purchased my JBP STi in August of 2014 with just over 66,000 miles and got an amazing deal or so I'm told by many people. When i got her she already had an aftermarket up and downpipe, Blitz Nur Spec exhaust, lowered on H&R springs, Cusco top hats on all 4 corners, and dash pod with prosport boost, oil pressure, and get(not hooked up). I have since added a Cobb AP V3 with just an OTS Stage 2 tune(i know i need a real tune since she is running incredibly rich) have a Cobb SF intake that i still need to install, and have a Tial Q Bov to replace the HKS SSQV that is currently on. Im still undecided on what route i want to go with her since she is my current daily driver(sadly enough in salt and snow in wisconsin winters) but i am debating on picking up a beater for winter and shooting for 450-500awhp but haven't decided for sure yet.

And with that here are some pictures of my beast. Mind you one pic is of there back seat which has a quarter sized hole from idk what(was there when i got the car) also This is a non smoked in car. Even though i do smoke i said i will NEVER smoke in it since it is in very good shape

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
She's a beauty. Any future plans?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
how do you like the clock gauge pod? ive never seen it in person. does it block your view of the road much? thats the only thing im worries about

as far as plans go not 100% which route I'm going for sure. I do know i want to do a bigger turbo and supporting mods. i don't mind the center pod doesn't really obstruct view at all or I'm just so used to it now that it doesn't bother me lol. if anything the sti having the bigger hood scoop is more of a distraction then the pod is lol

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
as far as plans go not 100% which route I'm going for sure. I do know i want to do a bigger turbo and supporting mods. i don't mind the center pod doesn't really obstruct view at all or I'm just so used to it now that it doesn't bother me lol. if anything the sti having the bigger hood scoop is more of a distraction then the pod is lol

well i have a hawkeye so the scoop isnt as big but i do plan on doing a cf blobeye scoop. im just going back and forth between the clock pod and the a-pillar pod.

Im personally not a fan of a-pillar pods never have been which i think is why i like my clock pod as much as i do, but to each their own lol

well picked up a few more parts! not pictured is the Grimmspeed license plate block off since i haven't got around to taking a picture of it on the car. I decided i wanted Autometer Cobalt Gauges over the Prosports that were in the car when i got it and also picked up an AEM wideband right away for tuning purposes coming up in the near future and when i finally decide to go bigger turbo. Enjoy :)

Well finally got around to putting my Cobb SF intake on. Also got my Perrin radiator shroud, radiator brackets, and alternator cover in and installed. Now just waiting for extremepsi.com to send me the correct flange(sent me a tial bov flange instead of hks) and then i can put my gen 4 hks ssqv on. All in all its been a productive day!

Good evening everybody!!!! So i have basically decided my plans at least for performance parts that i am going to do to my subie. The list is as follows: Grimmspeed Uppipe with a 38mm Tial External Wastegate, Grimmspeed Top Mount Intercooler, either Perrin Equal Length Manifold or Tomei Unequal Length Manifold, DW 1000cc Fuel Injectors, DW 320 Fuel Pump, and Grimmspeed Internal Wastegate Blockoff. My plan is to hit 11's on stock turbo and stock internals. Also going to go with E85. My only question is what kind of whp numbers could i roughly expect out of that setup? I'm going to say that 11's should be easily obtainable with the above setup including my Grimmspeed EBCS since I'm at 12.78 with an OTS tune.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Are you going to be rebuilding the stock turbo with stronger internals?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
There's a limit on a bone stock turbo and it was somewhere in the 360-380 whp range if I remember correctly with every supporting mod and e85.

okay. I'm still pretty new to the whole subaru world so good to know! if i hit 350whp i would honestly be pretty happy with that!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
A VF39 with a billet wheel and an E85 tune can be pretty wicked. I love my GT30, but sometimes I miss the super quick spool of the VF39.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
What I don't miss is the boost tampering off heavily. I was tuned for 20psi on my VF39 and am tuned for 20psi on my GT30. I make at least 75 more horsepower now, than I did on the VF39, but for the sake of comparisons...I am a bit slower in autocross now with the GT30.

(VF39 made 20 psi at peak boost around 3,200-ish RPMS. Boost tapered off to 8-9 psi at 7,000 rpms.)

(GT30 makes 20 psi at peak boost around 3,900-ish and easily maintains 20 psi to 7,000 rpms.)

Lots of tradeoffs......

Last edited:
so just ordered this on monday for the subie! took me forever to finally din a diffuser i actually liked that was outrageously priced. only downfall is that it will take a couple weeks before it is made and i get it but can't wait to get it! also this isn't a pic on my car just what they had for reference. i will definitely post pics when i get it and get it on

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We want info on this.