2010 STI SE 20g-xt CO

STimedic

I've been considering the Okada products for the better part of 4yrs now (since they first came out) and haven't been able to stomach the $600 for their packs/boots.

RcmaSTI

$620 for the coils and $225 for the boots! Not sure to do one or both. Maybe +15whp IF you have high Hp application already.
BUT, I have read a couple success stories on stage 3+ vehicles that improve spark, smoothes out the power curve, adds a little power, and a tad on E85 economy (that one I'm not sure to believe).

STimedic

Meh, if I win the lottery and/or have some disposable income, I'll get back into the mood for them....maybe I'll get more whole combustion and maybe pass a smogger whilst catless if I ever move back to CO.....

RcmaSTI

Trying to justify paying for those myself but the original reason for looking into them is my issue with misfires.
I recall a pattern. In all three instances it was a cold start in the morning. In all three instances it took an extra half second to crank over. In all three instances I was down to a 1/4 tank or less.
In all three instances I could reset the ecu and problem went away.

Do all of you on E85 smell it at idle in cabin ? Meaning, I think I'm running way rich in that I smell all around the car, inside the cabin, and worse going from sport to sport sharp.
Might be in the tune; will have to wait until July 9th for that.
I received a CEL cylinder misfire this morning along with poor idle and shake. I reset the ecu and restart. It's fine. I have had 3 CEL's over three months; all at cold start up in the morning. The first two were P0303 cylinder 3 with bogus PFFF and PFFE codes. Gonna go and pick up some new NGK 2309's to start.
The three misfires all did the same: 1) rough idle, 2) stumble/shake effect when revving 3) poor acceleration. The only symptom I have consistently is that it takes a few milliseconds longer to turn over. Hardly noticable but there.
My next step after plugs is to look at Okada Projects ignition amplifiers and/or coil packs. Any thoughts ?

Change the plugs first. I'd also like to see Rek's and Holy's opinions on the misfires.

When did the misfires occure? (like cruising, accelerating, etc)

jswansti

I just fixed misfire issues with my car. I had similar symptoms with the starting, shaking and idle. It ended up being faulty injectors for the cylinders that were misfiring. Replaced them about 230 miles ago with no issues since.

Last edited:

RcmaSTI

Change the plugs first. I'd also like to see Rek's and Holy's opinions on the misfires.

When did the misfires occure? (like cruising, accelerating, etc)

My plugs will be here tomorrow. I'll try that. This "random" misfire occurs only at cold start up.

STimedic

I'm having the same issue with a random misfire code at cold start-up, but I think it's a combo of using a range colder plug and from the fact my gimp map was a bit lean before my adjustment week before last. If the screen on my AP weren't inop, I'd reset the codes and reload the map.

On second thought, my plugs may just be fouled from the fact that they haven't been fully warmed up during the break-in.....I'll pull them next weekend and inspect.

RcmaSTI

I know that E85 gets stubborn near freezing and in some cases up to high 40's. I put 250 miles on the car yesterday; ran great. I bet its the plugs; and a new tune will help (july9th).

RcmaSTI

OK. Went Dom 3 XTR 8cm2. Got 408 whp.
Here is the thang.
My tuner says get rid of the the fmic. Go tmic and dom 3 and the car will be sooo much fun.
Sheet! I thought the car was fun now. I have a 2010 GR TMIC sitting in my garage.
I am e85 full time.
The car pulls hard and left a poor e46 M3 from a roll last night. LOL!

RcmaSTI

let me reiterate. He claims I might gain 500rpm of spool, lose 10whp , but keep an awesome power ban.
humm...
Sheet, why not?

let me reiterate. He claims I might gain 500rpm of spool, lose 10whp , but keep an awesome power ban.
humm...
Sheet, why not?

I don't buy it. I stand by my belief that going from TMIC to FMIC or vice versa won't make a noticeable difference in spool on a dyno.

It will in daily driving/ autocross (going from off throttle to on throttle).... But in an application like a dyno pull or even accelerating from a stop/ through gears it wouldn't be measurable by hundreds of RPM.

I also wouldnt ever want to have a turbo as large as a DOM 3 XTR on a stock GR TMIC.

RcmaSTI

I don't buy it. I stand by my belief that going from TMIC to FMIC or vice versa won't make a noticeable difference in spool on a dyno.

It will in daily driving/ autocross (going from off throttle to on throttle).... But in an application like a dyno pull or even accelerating from a stop/ through gears it wouldn't be measurable by hundreds of RPM.

I also wouldnt ever want to have a turbo as large as a DOM 3 XTR on a stock GR TMIC.

LOL are you f..ing serious?

RcmaSTI

If I was on pump 91 then I would agree with the stock tmic vs xxyz. But as you know e85 burns much cooler. The GR TMIC flows pretty well. Its the cooling that becomes challenging; and with e85 it helps.
Just giving you sheet, Jared.
I will not argue with you regarding FMIC vs TMIC on the dyno. Sorry about my assumptions. I will state clearly that in IMO, a tmic will spool earlier than a fmic in DD!